Dino Saga 070225 _ Finding and Buying Parts | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 070225 _ Finding and Buying Parts

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Feb 25, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Feb 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 070225 _ Finding and Buying Parts

Things have changed since I bought the Dino. Now there are few shops and their cost of finding parts is more than that of their labor to install them. I don’t like to pay mechanics wages to hold on the phone. And finding the right part is not a job you can farm out. Bit the bullet and learned how to do it myself. The mechanics I have worked with like that arrangement. Of course, if a part is not available and the shop has a trusted machine shop, I let them buy after reviewing everything. And I get their discount.

I started out with FAF in Atlanta. Ferrari dealers in LA area were grief. Still are. Tried Rudd, Denis McCann, Superformance in the UK, Maranello in various locations, etc. First hit on GT Car Parts in Phoenix maybe 12 years ago. Problems disappeared with them in the loop. Remember, I wanted parts that wear out; not cosmetic items or trim pieces. Amazing the difference in the knowledge of the guy who picks up the phone. And in the sophistication of the guy who decides what to stock and how much to charge.

The Dino is a collectable. My wife is a personal property appraiser and a dealer in antiques and collectables. I kibbitz and fix things for her. Clocks, lamps, toys, display cases, you name it. Have gotten to know a lot about dealers and how their passions keep them in the game. Few get rich. Anyone who stocks used Dino parts is a dealer in collectables. They enjoy the buying and selling of rare old items. You are looking for one of their treasures. The responsibility is on you to convince them to sell. If they are interested in a part finding a good home, they are a joy to deal with.

You have to keep in mind that you are buying from their collection. The good guys know which old and salvaged parts are valuable and which are not. They sell new and remanufactured parts for the money. They sell the old stuff for the fun of the game. They found it, bought it, have it for sale. They want to sell at a profit to an amateur who appreciates it and at an obscene profit to another collector; or better yet, trade for something they want more. In any case, they have no interest in why you want something or how soon you want it or in helping you work with any third party. Work them on the price. Work them on information as how best to use it. If you must ask for favors, offer to pay generously...for them to hire someone else to do what you want. Like take photos, take measurements, verify colors. Collectors are not technology wonks. Most find the Internet a device for their convenience, not yours. They post stuff on E-Bay. Something sells on not. They let the site handle the details. They are fine with a telephone and a Credit Card number. They love to give advice, they understand your wanting to get the car running, using their part, and they understand UPS and FedEx.

I have found that the guys at GT are collectors who know more about exotic cars than you want to know. They love finding your part in their collection. If they don’t have it, they say so right away and you can go to the next guy on your list. If you insist that they order something, be warned: YOU asked them to do something out of their line of work. If their supplier is late, they don’t give a damn. It is your problem. Words to the wise.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

I'm sure they're a great bunch of guys. I know they're ass deep in the parts we all need to keep our cars running.

too bad they can't step up to the 20th century (that's right 20th) and get a good website going for all of us who'd prefer to search online, rather than chat car parts up on the phone.

To each to his own I guess, but I think they're missing a big part of the market.

Dav eM/

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    One bad experience with GT Car parts in 1994 on an allegedly "new" Dino fan motor where a used four bladed fan was received. Returning it was an expenditure of time and money that could have been avoided if I had shopped elsewhere.

While I'm sure it was probably a singular case, it didn't really inspire me to return. I've found others that are just as well stocked and better informed on the correct Dino parts, so have never had to purchase another item from GT Car parts.

I didn't want to mention anything regarding OMGJon's experience with the pistons...