Dino Saga 070121 _ Small Ferrari, Engine, etc. | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 070121 _ Small Ferrari, Engine, etc.

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Jan 21, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Jan 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 070121 _ Small Ferrari, Engine, etc.

Now a little more fun. Track has been set as has been the cockpit width. Front engine would need a tunnel and that would kill the cockpit, and the low nose. Rear engine it is. Four cylinders would not do. A V-8 would be a couple of inches longer (wider). Inline longitudinal engine/transmission would foul up weight distribution and destroy trunk space. Sorry, mid transverse V-6 is the only choice. With integral gearbox/differential. That part was easy. Now, let’s try to fix the shortcomings of 1960s technology.

Horsepower is good but another 50 would be nicer. Torque is good but only between 3500 and 8000. There is the problem. With no low end torque, you can’t get off the line. Once you do, waiting for the clutch/transfer gears/transmission input shaft to synchronize into second takes forever. Two problems, torque and transmission. Technology has had a few changes in the past 40 years. Before we jump too fast, let’s look at the good things about the old Dino. Iron block is rugged and not that heavy compared to a comparably stiff Al block with Iron liners. Actually probably smaller. Chain driven cams are wonderful. Forget belts. This is a low maintenance driver, remember. Transmission is Hell for strong even if it is slow headed for 2nd. Limited slip differential works fine. Clutch is light and strong, but could be stronger. No sweat there.

Start with torque. Dino cams have lots of overlap so engine blows mixture out at low rpm and lacks suction on intake. Variable cam timing is a natural. Get decent torque at 2000 rpm and low gear doesn’t have to be so low. Maybe start out where 2nd is now. Hp can go up with larger valves or more of them. All been proven on Stratos. Gearbox is where the fun begins. Paddle shifting with electrical controls is a natural. Just think, millisecond shifts as opposed to 2 second shifts. There is enough room to make it all fit.

Full computer control of fuel injection and spark timing is a given. So is tuned inlet runners. Exhaust games might be played like those on the Stratos with its inter-header tubes to enhance filling and scavenging in the midrange.

All that is left is brakes. Dino brakes are good but lots can be done. Larger wheels permit larger disks. More cooling could help. Doubling pistons makes sense. I am sure that the lighter weight of the whole car would help too.

So! A small Ferrari, built to the same standards as the larger cars would be possible. Might cost very close to the big guys but would be unique and would be drivable in any situation up to the aerodynamic/Hp limits we have set. Probably faster with average drivers on real roads up to 130. A Grand Tourer in the truest sense.

If they built it, I would be sorely tempted to let my Dino play out its last days in a collection while I learned and began to love a new toy. I am not holding my breath. Neither is my Dino.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Comments:
    1) There are limitations to chain useage.
    In a discussion on Belt changes in the 550/575 section, the discussion touched on Chains vs Belts.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=136404408&postcount=26
    2) Agreed much to do on the brakes. My personal opinion is this is one area that really needs work, but shouldn't be that difficult to upgrade.
    I've taken the Euro Dino to high speeds (best left unpublished in public) and found the braking to be wanting when compared to 12 cylinder Fcars that were on the same run. The discs were new and the calipers recently rebuilt, but properly bedded in.

3. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    My chains lasted 181,000 miles. Stretched a little but still within adjustment range. Took 33 years as daily driver. Chains work well up to 7-8,000 rpm. Change them when you redo main bearings and rings. I like low maintenance engines and Dino is about the lowest I have ever owned. Agree that more brake capacity is needed and easily increased with larger wheels. Braking action and feel is superb but you can overheat them.

John