Dino Saga 061210 _ All but the bumpers | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 061210 _ All but the bumpers

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Dec 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Dec 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 061210 _ All but the bumpers

Takes a little longer to go back together. Day and a half to take off bumpers, lights and trim. 3 days to get all but the bumpers back on. Bumpers are in Never-Never Land. Hope they are not lost. Every morning for a week: “Mr. Corbani, we will call you back this afternoon.” Then nothing. Oh well.

Only one problem with lights this time. Left rear turn signal didn’t work right, left rear marker/brake light lit instead. One of the grounds I changed long ago had corroded. Since I new what I was looking for, it took a minute to loosen ground, spray with WD-40 and re-tighten. All then OK. WD-40 is a great contact cleaner and protectorant. I have all my rear grounds going to self tapping screws right into the rear frame. Tail light retaining screws are worthless grounds after re-paint. Only reason they worked originally was lack of any protection on inside of body.

I applied more conversion coat to inside of doors and to body under lower door sill trim strips. There was a little rust under the stainless. Also added a little clear silicone RTV along the front edge of the stainless. Should keep water from running under the trim. Sanding dust had gotten into the power window connectors and windows were intermittent. Pulled connectors apart, blew them out and hit them with WD-40. All OK after that. Door lights have long gone. Cracked at lens. Made sure that remaining wires and light body couldn’t foul windows and tied them down. Oiled all window pulleys. Replaced door panels. Getting good at it now. All hardware is now Philips, stainless. Specialty Tool and Bolt again.

Rubber around front and rear windows survived OK. Cord under to lift worked well. No sign of rust under rubber. Will go around top edge and add a little bead of black silicone just for insurance. Silicone seals nicely and is easy to break free when necessary.

Got some questions about the paint color so here is what Eddie shot this time:
    Can says… PPG Sonic Blue Pearlescent B/C, Code SN, DBC 5960 W
    Ford has used this color over the years and called it Midnight Blue or Moonlight Blue. There is just a slight violet shadow in the metallic reflections. This paint might be slightly different from older paints in the amount of pearlescent additives. Seems that there is more light all over the car than in the past. Eddie didn’t paint inside doors, etc. so that I can see the match between new and old. No difference except in the brightest sun. Now that I have looked all over the car, in detail, I can see where parts were not sanded all the way. Will have Eddie touch up when he does the final polish in a week or so. Getting rid of orange peel makes a dramatic improvement in looks. Clear coat is still curing and is still pretty soft. Sure does look nice so far. Lets see if I can get the bumpers by next week.

Clouded up and we got a little rain last night but pics on a cloudy day look pretty good too. Enjoy.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Looks good with or without the bumpers!

3. blainewest

blainewest Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Kelowna, BC
    Full Name:
    Blaine W
    Man that car is stunning! Is there a prettier car on the planet? Bumpers or no she looks superb. Excellent work.

4. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    John - I like the 50-caliber "Bond-ish" machine guns pointing both fore and aft.

Jim S.

5. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    She does look good without the bumpers, but for protection of that lovely new paint i'll bet you will be refixing them. I am suprised however though that you missed a golden opportunity to remove that F badge!!!!
    G.P.

6. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    I've mentioned this before, but I put the Ferrari badge on the car solely because I use the car as a daily driver. You would not believe how many folks asked me what kind of a kit car the Dino was. I figured that it was not possible to educate everyone who had never seen a Ferrari but who knew that my Ferrari was something very special. I don't get any more kit car questions but get just as many admiring questions from those who do know what they are looking at. Win / win all around even if it does ruin my chances for a Concours placement. I will keep it there.

John

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Paint looks great, love the blue.

Man, I think that Dinos look so sharp without bumpers though. Ever since I saw that black one posted a while back I was sold on that look (and the LM style wheels!). Looks like the competition race cars.