Dino Saga 061203 _ Really Blue Again | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 061203 _ Really Blue Again

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Dec 3, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    +1
    The rear glass must be flexed to remove it, this is definitely the job for a professional.

hmmm...you still make it seem that you can get correct front glass at a reasonable price

2. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    That glass is tougher than it looks! ease out the chrome trims all round and then with one inside the car and preferably two outside directing and pulling, the one inside starts pushing firmly from any corner, and gradually out it will come. same for the rear, but i admit i was sweating when we did mine even though i have a brand new front screen waiting at the shop. not so the rear screen as i don,t think these are available!! Don't ask me about putting them back in for another year!
    G.P.

3. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    I've looked at mine(its out of the car) and time and over a few glasses and a few cigars have pondered and ...walked away. I asked a mobile glass guy if he could think of ...He shrugged and walked away. So when you find out, let me know:)

4. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Asked Eddie to give me the number of the paint. It is:
    PPG Sonic Blue Pearlcoat, Code SN, DBC 5960 W
    Ford uses it off and on over the years. Name changes from year to year. I saw it first on a Mustang back in the early 1990s. Looked exactly like the color of a new 246GTS I saw at Santa Barbara Airport in 1974. Thought that Dino was the prettiest car I had ever seen. When my white Dino was badly bent I had Eddie straighten things out, strip the car and change to blue all over. Just like that GTS I remembered. After 10+ years, the rear corners were starting to lose the clearcoat so the current paint job. Color match to the parts not painted is perfect. Eddie says that the new clearcoat is supposed to hande sun and heat far better. We will know in 10 years or so.

John

5. rwk360

rwk360 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2005
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    R W Kenton
    Agree that you'd better give very careful and sober thought to removing the rear glass before you try it. I've also heard that it's unobtainium at this time; last price I heard for one was over 2 yrs ago, and in excess of $3K THEN. Of course, if you know of a secret source, and have a new one in hand before you start the removal, you're golden!

6. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I have taken it out as stated and yes i am crapping myselfe already at the thought of it having to go back in one day! What would it cost to remanufacture this glass because surely one day it's going to have to happen?
    Did Omgjon take his out? i'm sure he did and if so has he a new one standing by?

7. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Hey guys - I took out my rear (and front) window. No problem. Getting them out was easy as I planned on replacing the rubber surround seal. Hence, a razor blade did the hard work. Lifting the rear out was easy if done by 2 people and done slowly.

When ready to reinstall, I treated the new rubber with Wurth rubber treatment. I placed the chrome surround and rubber on the window. Then slowly inserted (using the old string method).

The only "tricky" part is getting the rear window to clear the buttresses when installing. Go slowly and add gentle pressure to guide one side pass the tight clearance. Make sure to pull the string on the other side (which goes in first easily) and get the rubber seal onto the pinch ridge around the circumference as you go. It really was easy. Just go slow and watch the various geometries as you go. You likely have it in and out a number of times as you study the best approach.

Jim S.

8. euro70

euro70 Rookie

Dec 9, 2006
    do you still have...need toreplace my cracked 1970 246 gt...what logo is on the windshield...thanks