Dino Saga 061029 _ Things to Like | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 061029 _ Things to Like

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Oct 29, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Oct 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 061029 _ Things to Like

Got a few reader’s comments on “More Modern Dino”. Also got an invitation to join the group that has been designing a “Modern Dino”. Looked at that site and saw little to interest me. No sign that anyone involved had ever designed a complete machine of any kind. Initial decisions seemed based on fads rather than function. The magic of the Dino is that virtually everything came together simultaneously. Looks and function at every level are still state of the art in both concept and execution. By 1963 or so, independent suspension, Koni shocks, alloy wheels, radial tires, the small mid engine Dino V6 racer and low drag aerodynamics were coming of age. Ferrari and Pinin Farina were ready.

Take the engine: a transverse V6 with integral transmission and limited slip differential. The same basic engine is available from virtually every automaker in 2006. But driving the front wheels! Compact, strong, relatively easy to service. Compare to Porsche flat 6. Only way to work on a flat 6 is to drop whole thing. Takes up lots of room. Later.

Take the chassis: 4 wheel double A arm independent suspension. Coil over shocks. Everything is easily adjustable with simple shims. Only lube points are 4 kingpin ball joints. Everything else is rubber bushings with forever life ratings. Large diameter steel tubing frame is strong and welded to body. Body adds significant stiffness. Nothing to rub or squeak. Belly pan helps aerodynamics and has access panels where needed.

Take the body: Lovely! Slippery! Aerodynamics matched to engine size. Storage for a full size spare, a full size suitcase and 2 full size people. A true artist, and a lover of high speed touring, worked out the ergonomics. The attached pictures touch some of the high spots. Most of the pictures are driver’s eye views. The car is low and seating is semi reclining. Seats are good until you are cornering at very high speed and high Gs. More shoulder support is really needed then. Driving position is with outstretched arms in the Italian style and is very comfortable while moving fast on mountain roads. Shifter is right there as are all controls. Nothing requires the driver to lean forward while at speed. Seat adjustment handles drivers from 5’4” to 6’2” nicely. I am 5’11”, perfect.

Visibility in the GT is absolutely great. No blind spots anywhere. Spyder is blind in the rear quarters. Forces are light all over except for steering at zero speed. Ladies have difficulty parking until they learn to move just inches while turning. Clutch, brakes are light and progressive. Throttle is unusually easy to modulate at all speeds. Very slow to open but moves fast near the end. Gear box ratios are fine, shift forces are a little high.

Bottom line: About the only things you could (or should) improve on are weight, power, wheels and tires. Displacement and body size are perfect. Wheels and tires I’ve already got. Newer materials could reduce weight. Fuel injection, a computer and new heads could get HP up another 50-100 HP. That would be my New Dino. In the meantime, I’m just enjoying the marvel I have.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What do you think of chassis technology improvements like the Ferrari F50 and Ferrari F1 cars that use the engine as a stressed member of the chassis?

The HWP reports those old flip-flop sandals you wear are known to cause problems in pedal selection that lead to accidents - consider updating to new Keens.

3. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Too many complications using engine as structural member. Service, repair, cost. A daily driver needs less engine and more room. Needs easier repair for small damage. And easier, cheaper repair for major damage. Easier to get with separate engine and chassis/body. Worth the extra weight.

P.S. 71 is too old to change favorite footware.

4. IanA

IanA Rookie

Jun 28, 2006
    Nice post on the wonderful Dino design. I did not know is was so easy to use.

As for stressed member engines, this isn't anything new. It's nice on Formula Fords and the like, but generally it's good to isolate vibrations when possible, not only to avoid stress fractures, but to make repairs easier.

Remember the Dino was a cheap to make car, so presumably, these days a replacement would be able to use more expensive materials to avoid rust and cut weight a little. Computer milling aluminum parts is cheaper now.

One could likely triangulate the chassis better, if one accepted the expense of more welding.

Modern engines could rev higher, etc.

Keeping the size and weight down to original would be a worthy challange, with the new safety requirements. - Don't make a 360 to improve a 246, make a 206 or Stratos!

5. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    As a gts owner I would probably look for a little less chassis flex.

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I see you also like the thicker steering wheel instead of the stock one. I use a Momo Prototipo rather than the stock Dino steering wheel and it looks nearly identical to yours in grip diameter. I've seen many stock Dino steering wheels with arm cracks where drivers grab that upper portion and reef on it.