Dino Saga 060917 _ More Modern Dino? | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 060917 _ More Modern Dino?

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Sep 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Sep 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 060917 _ More Modern Dino?

Folks keep talking about another Dino. Then I look at mine, and a 360, and a 430. Chrome, bumpers and no front spoiler are the difference. The body lines are identical but the amount allocated to humans has shrunk a lot. Now it’s all engine. The Dino is smaller and actually more liveable as a GT for two on a long weekend. Looked at pics of the NART Dino raced back in the 70s. It had a spoiler similar to the 330 and the just unveiled P4/5 one-off. Got me to thinking of the problems getting a modern Dino with no changes in style or major dimensions. Might not be possible. Certainly would be difficult.

Dino is long for its wheelbase. Lots of overhang at both ends. It is low! 13” high bumper in front, 17” in rear. 3.5” bottom clearance, 43” high at roof, 29” at trunk lid. Big windows, great visibility. It holds drivers up to 6’2” and passengers 3” less. Trunk holds a 2 person suitcase or 2 large golf bags. Goes good, corners good, has horrible gas mileage. Came with heavy wheels and narrow tires by modern standards. Comfortable for long range cruising and nimble around town. Gets a thumbs-up from grade schoolers and old fogeys every where you go. Even teenagers give it a second glance.

Wheels and engine are easy. 16-17” wheels and wide tires. No less than 45 profile for bumpy road traveling. Engine just needs fuel injection and full computer control. Another 50 HP would be nice but better just lighten car. Suspension is fine. Modern arc lights would be wonderful. Regulations are biggest problem. Current rules make front and rear engineering a nightmare. Tiny lights faired into fenders might allow a flexible molded front end with a strong core. Car looks at least as good without bumpers. They are only useful for tying a tow rope to. The NART race car of the 70s had no bumpers and a 330 style spoiler. Looked pretty good but spoiler would be a problem on steep driveways.

Rear end looks the most difficult to me. That trunk space and the rear visibility is a must keep. If the whole aft 6” was molded and the suitcase was considered crushable, you might be able to hold the lines. Bumpers on the back make some sense but they should be attached to something stout enough to do some good. Aluminum and carbon fiber could stiffen frame and lighten car. 500 pounds less would do wonders. Curve the side windows just a little. About a ½’ curve would let the door window go all the way down and let the lines flow easier. My old Alfa SS had such windows and it helped.

Took a few pictures to see the critical angles. Got too artsy with my lighting and had a hard time seeing the car. Should have had a crew with reflectors. Too Dark. Time with PhotoStudio got something useful. All pics had problems scrunching down to Rob’s 244 Kb limit. Sunlit leaves and gravel do not compress in JPG files. Thousands of high contrast points. I took sharpening tool and just sharpened the car and immediate surroundings after shrinking. Usually just sharpen whole thing. Still learning new tricks.

Oh, best thing about a Dino, no console! You can reach across and pat your partner’s leg as you pull into the hotel parking lot after a spirited ride. Produces 2 big smiles. Priceless!

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    STUNNING JOHN! ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!!! The more I see your car, the more I love the 16" wheel/tire setup that you are running. And dark metallic blue is a favorite of mine. I'm a huge fan of metallics for the Dino. When I repainted my Dino, I was very torn between my childhood dream of a fly yellow Dino versus a metallic. I went with the dream...for now. Thanks for sharing.

Manny

3. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    Great car!

4. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    #4 Julio Batista, Sep 18, 2006
    Great looking car! I fully agree on metalized paint being the most suited to the Dino's lines. And blue, of course, always blue...

Your Dino thoughts are very interesting; but is so large a trunk really necessary? I find it enormous! When I leave for long weekend trips with my wife, I can hear the bags moving around every time, and of course they arrive cooked by the exhaust.

The absence of a central console is something everybody is surprised by and loves. My main Dino gripe, which I rarely see mentioned, is the poor fresh air ventilation. During summer months in Spain, The Dino is an oven. I do not have and dislike air conditioning on Dinos: The car is already a bit too heavy and underpowered, without adding more weight and power-saping A/C.

Is your Dino "BLU SERA"? mine was originally that color, but a previous owner repainted it a lighter blue which I think looks great. I am very much in doubt about repainting it in its original color or leaving it as is. Opinions are appreciated! Thank you!

Cheers

Julio

5. dignini

dignini Formula 3

Aug 21, 2005
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Luigi Marazzi
    great shot!

6. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Thank you Dignini. The taking of it was not easy...

7. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

The closest I've seen is the Alfa Diva
    http://www.italiaspeed.com/2006/events/villa_d_este/diva/2704.html

http://www.*************/cars/3430.html

http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95839&highlight=alfa+diva

I really like the proportions.

8. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    A beautiful result!

Modern Dino?
    Very difficult, but a nice challenge.
    Please visit my Dino_designthread and give us your opinion.

9. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    #9 Michiel Mobiel, Sep 21, 2006
  10. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    It looks great, but why a spider?

Julio

11. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    Why not. ;)
    The revival of the classic GTS could be nice.
    It could just as easy be a GTB by removing the thin line above the windscreen.

12. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #12 John Corbani, Sep 21, 2006
    Like everyone else, I have played around with the lines and the power plant. Gave up. Ferrari and Pinin Farina got it right the first time. The Alfa Diva looks OK from front and rear but is a short fat slob from the side. Dino looks good from everywhere. I just wondered what could be possible, 37 years later, duplicating shape, power plant and suspension. Should look the same from the outside and the inside but be safer, lighter and faster. With titanium, carbon fiber, aluminum, modern plastics and computers you should be able to do something. Including making it shift like a Miata.

Lots of nice ideas on the designthread but they all give up things I love about the original. Will keep thinking. In the meantime, here is a better view of of the blue Dino.

John

13. Michiel Mobiel

Michiel Mobiel Formula 3

Mar 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Michiel van den Brink
    I agree.
    Please post your thoughts in the designthread!

I know what I would make of it, but it should be a team effort.
    We're all still in search, which is the most exiting part of the process.

I'll make some designdecisions later, because I wouldn't want to miss some refreshing ideas.

The Dino-owners could help me to support my vision later in the process.

14. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I have one picky, little point about most cars (not just the Dino) in that electrical systems should have circuit breakers NOT fuses.
    Rallye and Race cars use breakers and I know they cost more, but
    1) I'd like to see circuit breakers being used in production cars.

There are other areas of modernization the Dino could stand to benefit from:
    2) Engine compartment ventilation - The Diva uses a rear "Challenge" mesh grill
    3) Tires and Wheels - even Corbani has changed his out and my recent purchase of new XWX's resulted in dissappointing sidewall flex "at speed"
    4) Tubistyle exhaust

15. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Scott -

If you'd only stop running them at 20 PSI you wouldn't have that problem!!!

Mark

16. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Wow!

17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Thank you for the kind tip Mark.

I suppose I should inform Colin Cantrell Motorsports http://www.cantrellmotorsport.com/ about the proper tire inflation levels (tongue firmly in cheek).
    Those Porsche guys need to be reminded of such things...

PS - you missed a fantastic www.Vinado.com event at the Palace Restaurant last night, highlighting Seattle's "Italian weekend".
    Very nice introduction to an assortment of Nebbiolo!

18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Julio,

Personally, I like the lighter blue that your car currently wears.

Regards,

Art S.

19. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Thank you Art. My wife vehemently agrees with you!

Regards,

Julio