Dino Saga 060910___Cleaning Air Filter | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 060910___Cleaning Air Filter

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Sep 10, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Sep 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 060910___Cleaning Air Filter

Been 6 months since I cleaned the air filter so thought I would pull it and take a look. Mechanics used to curse the job back when I first got the car. Quickly found there were easier ways once I got into it myself. By then all of the smog gear was gone and that makes a world of difference. Discovered that the filter element can come out without even taking the air box off the carbs.

First picture shows my starting point. I use a silicone/spring wire duct from filter to air box and only have a clamp on the air box end. Filter end is a nice slip fit and the spring keeps it tight. I slip duct off of front of filter. Then I remove both bolts holding filter to frame. Now the trick. Slide filter back until filter is clear of fender duct. You can reach into fender opening to check progress. It takes about 1” of travel if duct is held from moving back. Then rotate filter housing 90 degrees to the left and slide it forward. The front will tip down and the rear cover is completely clear. Remove wing-nut and cover.
    Filter element pops right out.

I blew out filter. Virtually nothing there so slipped filter back, replaced cover and tightened wing-nut. Getting things back was just reversing the sequence. I reach in the fender opening to guide filter into fender duct. That duct should be a tight fit on fender and a loose fit on filter inlet. Doesn’t hurt to use a little silicone sealant on fender end of duct so duct stays on fender and doesn’t rotate.

Slipped air box duct back on filter and ready to go. 15 minute job. Time to go drive.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login