Dino Saga 060806___50s Pictures | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 060806___50s Pictures

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Aug 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Aug 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 060806___50s Pictures

Found a sleeve of black and white negatives from the 50s. Santa Barbara Road Races. Had to share them and show you how to copy B&W negatives and color slides. Turns out there is an easy way!

Had a big family get together. Dug out all the old pictures. Found B&W negs but no prints. Saw cars and recognized the SB tower. Then saw a military plane low and dead stick. I remembered that day. How to get prints? Have an Epson scanner that does film. Tried and was underwhelmed. Lousy resolution and slow. My camera has far better resolution but how to copy and edit. Tried close up lenses. Distortion and color fringes. Went back to basics. Fuji S5000 has 10x zoom that works best at infinity. All I needed was a color corrected, infinity corrected lens, larger in diameter than the camera lens. I could then zoom to the size I wanted. 7 x 50 binocular objectives are 2” dia achromats with a focal length of about 7”. You can buy a plastic body binocular for $20. $20 later I had my close-up lens. Two layers of electrical tape made the OD just perfect to go into the 55 mm threads of my lens hood. Flat side goes to film, curved side to camera. Film sits 7” away. Auto focus and zoom work fine. Depth of field is about ¼”. B/W negs, color slides are fine. Color negs need lots of work because of the amber mask.

Made a film holder out of scrap styrene plastic. White styrene reflector couple of inches behind film is lit with a 22 watt compact fluorescent bulb 2 feet away. Color slides want either fluorescent or halogen bulbs. 2000 pixels wide is plenty good. You can see the film grain so any more is a waste of time. Took pics in color, converted to 8 bit grey in editor, made negative of negative, boosted contrast and brightness, cropped, reduced to 800 x 600, sharpened and there you are. Grainy film, cloudy day, English, German, American and Italian sports cars doing their thing. Too bad it is all I have of those years. Maybe someone can identify the cars. The Washburn Chevrolet 614 Corvette is still in town and runs in every parade. Was unbeatable in its class in its day.

My intro into sports cars started in the late 40s. We lived in Smithtown, Long Island, NY. On the Jericho Turnpike. Sundays brought sports car races way out in the Hamptons. I would see MG Cs, TDs, TFs, Jags (once a C type), Austin Healeys, Triumphs, Morgans parade home on Sunday evenings. Never watched them race but wished. And read the magazines. Moved to Santa Barbara in ’54 and reveled in the Southern California sports car circuit. Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, Torrey Pines, etc. Heard and saw my first Ferrari at Torrey Pines and dreamed. Shot lots of 16 mm color movie film, all lost. Started shooting some 35 mm B&W. Bought my first MG TD, learned to drive a sports car. You knew you were going fast in a TD when you hit 70 Mph. Drafted into US Army. Then electronic tech, another TD, junior engineer, Alfa 1200 Spyder, started a company, new Alfa 1600 Spyder, went public, Alfa Giulia Sprint Specialle, retired, traded Alfa for the Dino. Looked, ran and sounded just right. Remembered Torrey Pines.

Still do.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Cool pics, but not 206 related so I moved it to Vintage.

3. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    Great Pictures,

The #197 Ferrari is definitely 250 Testa Rossa s/n 0710TR, the only TR with a detachable nose. I am fairly certain that this picture was from 1961, probably taken during the May 27-28 races where Mike Roetner finished 5th in the Main Event. The other Ferrari shown, #102 is Jack Nethercutt in 250TR59 s/n 0768TR. This picture is probably from the race on September 4, 1960 where he finished 7th OA in the Main Event. Most of the other pictures show D-Jags, Porsche 356s, Austin Healy's, that Corvette and a very nice Mercedes 300SL Gullwing and were probably taken at earlier events. Thanks for sharing

-Jarrett

4. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Fabulous shots and full marks for ingenious digitizing. Almost puts my $800 Nikon film scanner to shame!

5. southbay356

southbay356 Rookie

Jul 20, 2006
    Great :) thanks for posting them

any more pics ,

Dave

6. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Ditto. Great pics and great idea on how to digitize them. I would never have thought of that.

7. Gary48

Gary48 Guest

Dec 30, 2003
    John, you are an amazing guy, thanks for the great and historical photo's.

8. C'one

C'one Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    France
    Glad you did. :)
    Man!that shortnose D-type looks like it's had it's share of knocks!

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sorry, but John wanted it back in the Dino section as he promised there will be more Dino content coming. So here it is back from its timewarp.

10. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Unfortunate since:

1. It contains some photos that would be of great interest to those who browse only the Vintage forum (as shown by the response it received after the move).

2. It contains no content related to 206/246 model Dino road cars.

3. A redirect was left in the 206/246 forum so that no one would be wondering what had happened to the thread.

Oh well...