Dino Saga 060514___Car Covers | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 060514___Car Covers

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, May 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, May 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 060514___Car Covers

If you really drive your Ferrari, you need a car cover. I drive every day in a land of sun, morning fog, winter rain and occasional winds. And don’t have a garage. I do have a car port and a lightweight dew and dust cover. Works well.

Tried lots of fabric car covers over the years. Most were bulky, absorbed water and expensive. Finally found a Budge #2 Tyvek cover that was the perfect starting point. With a little rework and ten feet of 1/8” bungee cord I have a cover that is water and dust proof, light, rolls up into a very small bundle and is a snap to put on and off. Current one has lasted over 9 years. And the total cost was less than $50.

Found that front was fine, rear was too long. Started tucking things and pinning. Front elastic edge went under the bumper nicely. Did same in back with an elastic edge that went under the body, almost to the muffler. Have to watch out for heat there after a hot run. The stock elastic in the cover was the same quality you curse in your shorts so I replaced it. Tyvek is very thin. Cuts easily and sews like a dream. Just laid bungee cord in a fold and made a 1” hem at front and rear. Punched a couple of holes through hem at each end, wove cord through and tied cord in a figure eight knot so it would not slip back. Cord at each end is about 4 ft long and stretches another 2-3 feet as needed. Used heavy black nylon thread for UV resistance. Stitch was ¼” zig-zag. Finally took a black marker and put FRONT and REAR on the outside center of the ends.

Tight rolling is the key to using the cover. To remove: Pop front and rear elastic loose. Then roll/fold both sides to middle of car. Then roll into a log from the front to the rear. You have a bundle 8” dia. by 1 foot long. Back on is quick: Stand in back of car. Hold the back end of cover and roll/throw the bundle to the front. Tuck the back under the bumper and walk forward pushing sides down. Pull elastic over front bumper and all is done. I have an antenna on the right and a rear view mirror on the left. Easy to clear both.

Car port is second attempt and has done well for about 14 years. Main frame is MIG welded chain link fence top rail. Tubing is 1.3” OD. Overall size is 19 ft x 19 ft x 7 ft high at lowest point. Lot is not flat but frame is level. Wanted the least possible block of the view so roof rise is shallow. Peak is 12” above perimeter. Wind can be strong so aerodynamics is critical to keeping the top on. Main tubes are all straight and all welds are fitted. Curved ribs made from ½” EMT support the tarp. Curve generates a little bit of lift and very little drag. There is no flapping at all. Vertical tubes are set 2 ft deep into 4” holes punched through the asphalt. Holes filled with concrete. Tried all kinds of tarps. Blue, green and brown poly last 1-3 years. Silver one has lasted 5 years and still going strong. Best looking too. 20 ft square is a standard tarp size. Trimed all around. Wrapped edges of tarp around 4 pieces of 1/8” galvanized steel wire. Hooked wire over heads of #6 self drilling screws spaced 2 ft apart on inside of main tubes. Tarp stays stretched.

Pics show the details. Not rocket science.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. gblue

gblue Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Maui Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gregg Blue
    Aloha John...what tires do you have ....are they 14"? I just use the cover from my NSX that I kept when I sold it to help pay for my 206.......fits like a charm. I use a costco cheapie to cover it when I go to the beach....no one knows what car it is and so far so good.......

Mahalo...Gregg

3. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Gregg,

At the beach, at the movies, at the airport, any time the car will sit unattended for more than an hour or so. The disguise is as important as keeping dirt and rain off. Right on! Tires are 205/55 VR 16 front, 225/50 VR 16 rear. Wheel widths are 8" in front, 8.5" in rear. See "Dino Saga 051009" for more. Cornering is magic.

John

4. jusdriveit

jusdriveit Karting

Sep 11, 2005
    I came to the same conclusion after trying lost of different covers over the years. Regular cloth covers, even the fancy multi layer ones absorb water, and leave lint on the car.
    Tyveck is light, no lint, breathes, does not absorb water and it also compresses into a very small bundle to go in the trunk.
    Only down side is as far as I know they are only available in generic sizes.
    Now if car cover companies would make custom fitted tyveck covers, things would be perfect.
    Cheers,
    Mark

5. gblue

gblue Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Maui Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gregg Blue
    where did you get the tyveck cover??????

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Just Google "Tyvek car cover". Lots of places have them. The only downside is they are very very light and catch the breexe quite easily.

7. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Regular Tyvek degrades in sunlight. It's sensitive to UV. That's why when it's used as a house wrap, you try not to leave it exposed too long.

Here's what Dupont has to say about it.

UV RESISTANCE
    Physical properties of Spunbonded Olefin are degraded with extended xposure to direct sunlight (ultraviolet rays),although at least one to three months of useful outdoorlife can be expected in many applications. UV resistance can be improved with opaque coatings. Styles of Spunbonded Olefin containing UV inhibitors are available for applications requiring higher UV resistance.

http://www.tyvek.com/pdf/prod_techman.pdf

For car covers I suspect type 14 Tyvek is what is normally used. Or type 16, which is also used in disposable clothing like coveralls. Type 14 is more durable, and would be preferable to type 16 as a car cover. Type 10, which is used for envelopes and printing, is no good for car covers. (TOO STIFF.)

It would also be important to make sure that UV inhibitors are added to the material making the cover. Some of the cheaper ones may not have that, as it adds cost.

We used to warehouse Tyvek for an envelope manufacturing company. I spent some time getting familiar with it prior to letting them sign a lease.

dm

8. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Google "Budge Tyvek car cover" and you get lots of possibilities. I bought mine 8-9 years ago and there was only one type at $29.95 for the #2 size. Nice to know Budge is still in business and they have lots more choices. Prices are higher but you can shop around. Probably have to do some seam work as I did. Doubt if elastic has improved so bungee cord is still a good idea. Can't let wind start to take it off or it will fly forever.

John

9. gblue

gblue Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2005
    Maui Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gregg Blue
    #9 gblue, May 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017