Dino Saga 060305 _ Piston and cam suppliers, transmission oils | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 060305 _ Piston and cam suppliers, transmission oils

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Mar 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Mar 5, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 060305 _ Piston and cam suppliers, transmission oils

Pistons, cams and oils. A little windows too. And Mardi Gras.

I finally have enough of a feel for the pistons and cams to let you know who did them. Of course, You Never Know…, so take everything with a grain of salt.

The 2004 mechanic could not find oversize pistons at a reasonable price or with reasonable delivery. I talked to Import Auto Machine and they said they have pistons made all the time. Their main business is dragsters, race cars and over the top car nuts. Most set ups are American but lots of German and Japanese hot rods too. Turns out that custom pistons were cheaper and had better delivery.

Could not find cams either. All of mine had worn; as much as 0.03” on one lobe. Import Auto said no sweat. They had a cam house that could do anything including building up, grinding, straightening and hardening. You tell them the intended use and supply the core. Not too expensive. Sounded good.

We went for both. Delivery was fine. Small problem with back of pistons and Imported Auto found the problem, had it fixed in a week, and built up the block. Cams were fine. We put in new guides and new exhaust valves. Import Auto set cam clearances and pulled cams.

Scotts of Santa Barbara put everything together and screwed everything up in the process. You have ridden along with the aftermath. Pistons and cams were done well.

Arias Pistons.........................Camonics Camshaft Co.
    13420 S. Normandie Ave.........11423 Vanowen St. #9
    Gardenia, CA 90249................N. Hollywood, CA 91605
    310 532 9737........................818 982 344
    ariaspistons.com

Last week I talked about lubricants. Jack recommended Swepco 201, 80W-90 for the transmission. We tried it but after fixing the transmission alignment, I was not happy with the feel. Cold weather made 2nd difficult. Even when hot, shifts felt rough. I just changed the engine oil (looked great) and decided to change the gear oil as an experiment. I knew that Castrol was OK so tried Valvoline 80W-90 gear oil. Big difference. Better. Just as good as Castrol. We will see with more driving but it is fine for now.

Needed a car pic for this weeks thread so put in a half hour of polishing out more of the windshield scratches. French Cerium Oxide finish after Flitz metal polish. There is a long way to go but we are getting there. Candi and I had a blast at Mardi Gras. Bourbon St. and Café Du Monde were doing just fine. New Orleans is coming back.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What do you need to buff scratches out of windshield glass?

I've seen many Dinos with scratched glass and I know one owner paid $500 for a glassman to buff out a scratch from a windshield wiper arm.