Dino Saga 060219 _ Stone guards, bolt supplier | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 060219 _ Stone guards, bolt supplier

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Feb 19, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Feb 19, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 060219 _ Stone guards, bolt supplier

Runs good, no leaks, time to put the stone guards back on.

Like everything else, it got a little complicated. No trouble with fasteners on left side although screws and washers were rusty. Problem was on right side. Only 2 out of 6 screws still had enough thread to hold. Problem was not the 5 mm screws They were rusty but threads were ok. The nut plates and “PEM Nuts” had been exercised too many times and the threads had given up. Went looking for an easy fix. Did not want to use self tapping fasteners, wanted to stay metric. Went out to Specialty Tools.

Specialty is a Santa Barbara fixture. We have thousands of engineers in town starting up new high tech companies on a daily basis. Specialty understands prototyping and has been stocking every kind of fastener and a good selection of fine tools for years. If you need it, they have it. Price is right. They take cash. They give good advice. They ship overnight to out–of-towners. Buy 1 or 1,000.

I bought all stainless hardware. 10 - 5mm x 14mm hex cap screws, 10 - 6mm x 14 hex cap screws, 20 - #10 x ¾” flat washers and a 6mm 2 flute plug tap. $15.21 for the lot with $8.46 of that for the tap. Try them. Good guys.

Specialty Tool and Bolt
    108A Aero Camino
    Goleta, CA 93117
    1-800-S-B-BOLTS
    805-968-3581
    www.SBBOLTS.com

I have a ¼” hand chuck (1/4” drill chuck with a screwdriver handle.) I pinned the handle so I can really crank it. I chucked up the tap and opened up all nut-plates on the right side. Did not have to pre-drill since holes were so worn. A #13 drill makes a good size tap drill if you need help. I find that the hand chuck is better for free-handed tapping at weird angles. A tap wrench is too easy to tilt and there goes the tap!

The ¾” #10 fender washers were the perfect OD. Bore was fine for 5 mm screws. I opened a half dozen up to ¼” bore to fit the 6 mm screws. A ¼” center drill does a beautiful job with no tendency for the cutting edge to dig in. I grabbed the washer edge in a vise, put a little cutting oil on the drill and ran the drill through at about 2500 RPM. Got a little ridge on the far side and took care of that with a single flute countersink. Pics show some of the details.

Everything went back together just fine. Back to putting miles on. Will change oil about 500 miles. The Dino is Looking Good!

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login