Dino Saga 060212 _ Adjust forks in gear box | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 060212 _ Adjust forks in gear box

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Feb 12, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Feb 12, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 060212 _ Adjust forks in gear box

45 minute shift fork job took 2 hours but transmission is perfect.

Next time it might take 1 hour. You learn! Scraping off the old gasket and filling with oil takes the most time.

Finally caught up with Jack and got time on his lift Saturday morning. He showed up in his bicycle racing suit and he was quite a figure. Skin tight suit with sponsor’s labels all over. He has seriously retired and I was cutting into his practice time for a March bike race. He did paperwork while I pulled things apart. Just as expected, 1- R fork had shifted. Put a wrench on the locking bolt and it was just snug but not tight. Everything else was tight so loosened fork, moved it left 2 mm and cranked bolt down. Perfect.

Jack got into the car and ran through the gears while I watched the levers move. Left/Right neutral was not quite on. He held the lever while I loosened the front lock nut, turned the transmission shaft 2 deg. and tightened things back up. Now right on. The front threads on the hex adjusting sleeve are right handed so there is no confusion when figuring out which way is tight. The rear threads are left handed and will louse you up every time.

The key to setting the transmission is to have the Ferrari tool that holds the 3 detent springs in place when the transmission cover is off. Of course no one has one. Made my own out of two scraps of 0.09” sheet aluminum. 0.06” steel is fine too. The drawing makes things clear. Nothing is critical. Holes are oversize. Stack the two with 1 – R rotated 45 deg. Use washers to get 1 – R the exact height.

Pics show shifter details before fixing.

Car feels great now!

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Jack,
    Thanks for the write up. This could be why I have problems getting 1st and Reverse to engage smoothly.

I will have to pull the lower cover and have a go at it. First I need to make up the plates.

You wouldn't happen to have a photo with the plates in use?

If you have need of a lift in the future and don't mind the 1.25 hour drive North, I have a midrise lift available in my garage when I am not using it. It will raise the bottom of the Dino 4 feet. The offer is there if you need it in a pinch. 805-550-8608 cell

Just returned from a run today with the S.B. Alfa club to see the Elephant seals north of San Simeon. The Dino ran great. I am off tomorrow to work on a friend's Daytona.

Keep the Dino Saga's coming.........

Thanks,
    Richard
    Dino246GT #03510

3. ivo73

ivo73 F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Mar 3, 2005
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Ivo Pucci
    Hello John,

thank you for sharing the photos.
    Do you can post also a photo of the Dino tool ?
    best regards
    ivo

4. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #4 John Corbani, Feb 13, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here is a picture of the tool I used. Being a prototype, some details needed adjusting. Note the elongated clearance hole for the 1 - R spring guide. The drawing is a cleaned up version. There was no reason to cut away the corners of the larger piece so the final corners are square. Hope this proves useful. It made the adjustments a trivial project except for the draining and re-filling of the case.

John

5. ivo73

ivo73 F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Mar 3, 2005
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Ivo Pucci
    Hello John,
    thank you very much for your pictures of the tool.
    I will also built one and soon post more info's/pics of a Dino gearbox rebuilt...
    thank you again
    ivo