Dino Saga 060108 | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 060108

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Jan 6, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Jan 6, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 060108

Well, they did it. Everything is back together. Except…

I took a look at the flywheel teeth and noticed some erosion. The starter Bendix missed about once a month. Never worried since always worked fine on second attempt. As long as everything was apart (famous words) I took starter in to rebuild shop. They don’t play with Bendix mechanisms so sent it to LA. Back today so no delay. Nice new gears. Smooth.

Jack is busy so can’t get to car until next week. I’m going skiing all next week. Love’s towing got the car from my house to Jack’s shop this afternoon, Machine shop delivered engine this morning. Parked my engine under Steve’s Dino. Steve’s engine is all apart and Jack is working on it. Still no cam though.

I’m writing this Friday evening while packing gear. Heavenly has a 5 foot base, lots of powder, Canyons are open. Tahoe, here we come. Have a condo at the foot of the Tram. Wife (gambler), Daughter (skier), son in law (boarder), and me (old time skier). We make a good team, Ski everything they have, eat good and enjoy the shows. Wife hits a jackpot every now and then. South Tahoe is a magic Winter spot.

Post is a couple of days early this week and is going to be a day late next week. Will take a look at the car and take a few pics before posting.

This weeks pics show the final assembly and some detail of the stuff we pulled out. There were silicone strings everywhere. There was green anaerobic sealer everywhere it could cause the most grief. Looks like it spun out of the flywheel bolt holes and glued the clutch disk to the flywheel. Machinists had to ream it out of many bolt holes. Look at the pile of bad fasteners left over. Hardened bellville washers are back where they belong. We changed every seal just to be sure. Honed bores and put in new rings after getting pistons relieved. Looks like the rings never fully seated. Must have babied it too much. Will try again.

More next week,

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    John:
    Please keep up your posts. Enjoy them. Pics invaluable. Thanks.
    Philip

3. jusdriveit

jusdriveit Karting

Sep 11, 2005
    I had a similar starter problem on my Dino and aparently inherited it from the PO as the Starter was replaced with a new 3,000 mi before I got the car (at 22,000mi).

I noticed the problem was worse with the motor warm and after some checking found that the starter heat shield was missing. The starter is very close to the headers so if this item is not on it will cook the the starter in no time. Of course a few teeth on the ring were damaged as a result of this as well.

I looked all over for a heat shield and finally got one from superformance along with a new ring gear and everything else that should be replaced as long as your in there. Problem solved!

Moral of the story is make sure the heat shield for the starter is in place.

Aloha,
    Mark