Dino Restoration | Page 94 | FerrariChat

Dino Restoration

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Feb 18, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    You have to start actually READING the text that comes with the pictures... OMG

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #2327 synchro, Sep 6, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
    I received the seat and steering wheel covers from OMGjon, Ryan and Jeff for their coming out party at Bella Italia. In fact, he handed them out to every Dino owner that attended.

Pretty impressive, eh? I'm sure you could tell that from the very happy look on Mark's face, for once the guy was flabbergasted speechless and that is hard to do.
    ;)

PS - now if you notice in the third photo that the Dino on the very far right also has them on, that is my "old faithful"!

3. vrooom

vrooom Formula Junior

Jan 29, 2007
    scott , enjoyed your birthday party and seeing all the red dinos together! sorry # 5954 could not make it ! maybe next birthday... dz

4. yasmin

yasmin Formula Junior

OK..Ok ; I missed the fineprint!!

5. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#2330 dinogts, Sep 10, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
    I was very happy to have received those seat covers and the steering wheel cover from Scott (thanks OMGjon). I was flabbergasted, especially when I looked at Scott's photo showing all of that GUNK on my passenger side window -- it certainly wasn't (and isn't) that filthy -- must have been some sort of "digital artifact." (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it). But, I don't recall ever having been speechless since Mrs. Deutsch (my 4th grade teacher) caught Gary Boracs (spelling) and me with over 1700 baseball cards EACH in our desks at Eugene Field Elementary School in Teaneck, NJ. She took 3500+ cards and dumped them into the garbage and told the custodians that we were not allowed to retrieve them. . . .

6. Tycho

Tycho Rookie

Mar 11, 2008
    Am I really alone in this ???!!! OMGJON has purchased a straight and clean Dino with 21K miles on it, and he wants to restore it ????

Yes, I understand that time takes its toll on some materials such as rubber, but a restoration ! Does OMGJON really mean a restoration or a refreshing? A "tuneup" as it were.

One of the minuses of my Dino is that it has been repainted. I would so much have preferred to have found one (an L-series) that was untouched.

I admit my ignorance here. Why would one want to restore a 21K straight and clean ? Why not find one that needs restoration?

7. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Jon, As a 32-year Dino owner and 40+year "Dinomaniac" I am completely floored by what you and your sons have done (both for your car and for Dino lovers everywhere). In addition to practically immortalizing one Dino, you have unselfishly let us all observe the process, from agonizing start to triumphant finish. As one who has next to no mechanical skills, and who certainly lacks the time to engage in such an undertaking, I salute you. I had my second Dino mechanically refreshed over a four-month period, then sent it for a 2 1/2-year bare-metal repaint, having chrome plating, door skin,windshield and rubber replacement done along the way. I am in awe of your level of commitment and your high standards. When I briefly learned of your project last year at CaymanClub.net (I had ordered a Cayman and posted pictures comparing it with my Dinos, since a number of members there had expressed the opinion that the two body designs bore certain similarities), I thought that the restoration was going on in France, due to the lack of marker lights, the amber Euro turn signals (they were clear on Italian Dinos) and especially the yellow headlights. I was very excited to finally view your restoration in detail, and I wish you and your sons many, many miles of happy motoring in your one-of-a-kind '74 GTS. Gratefully, Fred

8. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Thanks for the kind words!

9. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #2334 omgjon, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    TheBigEasy likes this.
  10. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    Beautiful. What shocks did you get Jon?

11. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Custom made by Nick's Forza Ferrari. There were a couple small modifications I had to make.

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    These are gorgeous - stainless steel casings?
    How do they adjust?

Headed for another Bella Italia win like last year - Forza Jon!

13. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Rumor has it there will be 8 Dino's at Bella Italia this year. There is suppose to be one nicer than mine. A BIG time Ferrari guy. Oh they have 2 adjustment knobs. Soft/firm and the other for rebound. See you Saturday.

14. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Well I haven't seen one nicer than yours anywhere, so if you get time "pictures" thanks in advance since I am on the east coast and won't be attneding show...

15. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    A. One "nicer than" yours--how is that possible? B. "A BIG time Ferrari guy"--you're not exactly a small fry! C. Will the GT also be done in Euro trim? Fred

16. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    The BIG time Ferrari guy has a major collection and has recently had his Dino redone. It is suppose to be spectacular. On the GT, yes it's going to euro trim. I just got the Euro front indicator lights which are becoming very hard to find.

17. Kravchak

Kravchak Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2005
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Ken
    So the GT project is starting soon? I can't wait... Are you going to start another new thread for it and leave this one as it is or just continue on here?

18. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Jon, the "BIG" guy may have had his Dino done, but you did yours YOURSELF! To me, that makes YOU the "BIG" Ferrari guy! Can't wait to see progress on the GT. I am certain that it will be a spectacular addition to your collection, and you will have the benefit of numerous learned shortcuts, I am sure, having of necessity "reinvented the wheel" while creating your magnificent blue GTS. All the best as you commence your work on the GT! Fred

19. TheGreat348

TheGreat348 Karting

Jul 15, 2008
    Agreed. Doing something yourself is far, far more rewarding and when it turns out as nice as the example you present.....to me, there is no comparison(s). Money can buy everything except health, pride and true love.

20. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    +1! Fred

21. Frips_Girl

Frips_Girl Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    I'll be at Bella Italia with my Dino 246 GT-B ;)

See you all there!

22. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Where's the photo

23. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    I would like to see a new stand alone thread for the upcoming Dino GT restoration. I'm thinking that Jon having done a ground up restore/mod already, that this new thread could have a lot of "lessons learned" and "what I will do differently" in regards to disassembly, rebuild, reassembly, etc.

My other suggestion is that this current thread be renamed "OMGJON Dino GTS Restoration" and the new one "OMGJON Dino GT Restoration"

24. NSXLuvr

NSXLuvr Formula Junior

Oct 3, 2006
    Tx
    Full Name:
    Ritesh
    Congratulations on the amazing journey and restoration project.

I read through 1/2 the thread but wanted to bump it so I could read the rest when I get home!

BTW - Any issues with the car since the restoration?

25. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    John,

Were you happy with the adjustable shocks you put on your GTS? Were they a significant improvement over the Koni shocks?