Dino restoration help, lengthy | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Dino restoration help, lengthy

Discussion in '206/246' started by swift53, Dec 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    My '74 GTS had tar paper under the carpets. I believe this is original. I reproduced this in fresh tar paper for my '73 GT and left it to dry for a long time till it was no longer tacky. Looks exactly the same.

2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #202 swift53, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
    Unfortunately, my Dino is 4 years older, so difficult to say what was there. Are GTS's waterproof? Did you use tar paper, as in roofing stuff? Nothing underneath it? If that's all there was, then the Dynamat with the special treatment will do just fine.
    Quite innovative at Ferrari spa.
    I hope someone else chimes in with what's there under the carpets. it'd be interesting to see the differences in years. Most likely Matthias will know.

Regards, Alberto

3. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    While doing some interior work on my 71 Euro Dino, I removed the new grey carpets the prior owner had put in (to keep them pristine and grime free!). I seem to recall a thin black material below the carpets...perhaps a 71 `vintage' of tar paper. I'll check and try to photo when I get home.

4. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    #204 HMB-Dino, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I can confirm that my 71 Euro Dino has a thick roofing paper like sheet material under the carpets. I'd say it is a thick roofing paper, but it doesn't have the smell of roofing paper, but then again I don't recall ever smelling 40 year old roofing paper. Like the carpets, there's a front section and a rear section for each side of the center console.

I should also just mention that the carpets were replaced back in 2008 by the prior owner, so I can't say for sure if the material in question is truly original to the car, tho I suspect so since racerboy9 reported the same/similar material in his 74 GTS.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #205 swift53, Jun 24, 2011
  6. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Do tell...did you just paint the Dynamat, and if so, anything special? Of course, in your situation, spray painting would be easy, but if a car is intact (minus seats and carpet), it becomes more of a challenge to cover up the Dynamat and ONLY the Dynamat.

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Ron, the lack of doors did help considerably, yet the whole car was masked anyhow, and the Dynamat painted with the same two pack black paint that was used everywhere else. A light scuffing with sandpaper was all that was needed to provide adequate adhesion.

I think that the point you made, was an excellent one, and things should be just fine now.

Regards, Alberto

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #208 swift53, Jun 24, 2011
    The consoles have been modified, the center with a cig. lighter hole, correct ashtray opening, and the rear console, shorter with the different handbrake opening moved to the proper location.
    Was not aware that handbrake levers had different dimensions from latter models.
    Nothing is a surprise anymore, just to be expected...

Alfa Romeo had the same size handbrake from '65 to '75.

Regards, Alberto

9. afer

afer Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Uruguay, S. America
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Ferraro
    Alberto, looking at your center console, I think the front it's not correct (the open part that goes over the front console). I will take other picture tomorrow of that section to show you.
    Kind Regards
    Alvaro

10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Was going to paint Dino yesterday, but the paint booth went "kaput", the PPG shop had only enough to mix 1/2 gallon, things were ominous already.
    The message from above, was clear. Lay off time!
    So, tomorrow off to well deserved vacation for all involved, including family & myself. :)
    Back in a while.

Regards, Alberto

11. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    so you are just going to leave us all hanging?? just like that!! Have a great vacation- its pretty nice out here back East--- come & visit~~check it out!!

12. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thanks Champ, will be in your neck of the woods in late August. Let's set something up...
    Regards, Alberto

13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Finally...today was the day.
    We loaded up the doors and lids on one truck ('86 F-150 with a Hyundai bed, as old one was worse than the Dino) good Dino on old rusty trailer, and off to the paint booth, kindly lent by "the" MB dealer here on a saturday at 11:30 am.
    Got there without being pulled over by the law as never saw any, definitely they'd want to know. Here, this sort of caravan looked very suspicious as very outlandish for the local officers.
    At the MB dealership, first question by a zillion people, "what is it?, why three hoods? is it a VW?" No, a Dino. What's that?
    " It looks like a Ferrari", came from one fellow that evidently was more with it.
    Anyhow, this country being where it is, by the time we started painting, it was lunchtime so the the goal to get going at 12 turned into 2 and ended at 8pm and it promptly rained 4".
    Waited until today to retrieve all the bits, before being given the third degree by the usual very armed to the teeth guards at the gate, that were different guys from the ones on Saturday...
    The return went better, as zero traffic, cops don't work in the city on Sundays, but about a zillion times more careful with the finished product. A very careful ride back, and everything is back in place, safely and no mishaps.

My wife: "it is so yellow!"

It looks absolutely stunning. This weekend was truly a remarkable feat, a new book, not a new page in the story of Dino 01104.

It has been a huge three years.

Thank you all for the wonderful and appreciated support! :)

Unfortunately, I cannot upload more than the only photo you can see on the way to paint.
    Will post more later on.

Regards, Alberto

14. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Sorry, only the text got through, sort of like the dinodaytonamerak guy except, without the caps.

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well done, and of course looking forward to seeing how yellow it is ;)

Pete

16. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Alberto,

I could have sworn we live in the same country.

Congratulations on a fantastic three years. You are an inspiration to many. I cannot wait to see the pictures, so don't keep us waiting.

Best wishes,

Andres

17. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #217 swift53, Aug 15, 2011
  18. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #218 swift53, Aug 15, 2011
  19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #219 swift53, Aug 15, 2011
  20. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Fantastic, Alberto!!!!! Fred

21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Is that the correct taxi cab yellow for El Salvador? Love the rusty trailer :)

22. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  23. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #223 swift53, Aug 15, 2011
    Yes Andres, we do live in the same country :)

Rob, as we speak, we are looking for a Taxi, gov.t issue luminous bubble for the roof.
    Pictures will follow ;)

This morning, the various loose parts are beginning to be polished trough the various grits, then to be installed on a rack for safe storage.

Regards, Alberto

PS. I love this photo

24. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Very nice, Alberto. I can imagine how pleased and happy you must feel, looking at the car now.

Best,

Andres

25. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    well done Alberto
    :)))