Dino restoration help, lengthy | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Dino restoration help, lengthy

Discussion in '206/246' started by swift53, Dec 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TKO

TKO Formula Junior

Oct 22, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Tom Kearns
    Some yellow paints require a white base coat or primer, ... may be the case here?

Outstanding work Alberto!

2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Pete and Tom, cannot get white primer here, as not worthy enough, or at leat not knowledgeable enough, so thanks to the guys at fchat, we painted white as yellow over gray primer looks really muddy and dirty.

It is really difficult to see the faults on white, you are right, but as we are going to sand the car down, the shiny spots will show through. so when the whole Dino is flat, off we go to the paint booth. My wife will be happy...
    Only problem, is it will be at the MB dealership cabin. That's OK, no? The DE contingent will be proud...;-)

We started installing the inner tub with space age insulation over the central chassis tube.
    amazing stuff, cannot feel a 1500w heat gun with a hand on the other side.
    Bets where being made...disbelief everywhere. Thank you Jim!

My question now, is how to fiberglass the tub to the sills, as no clue. Remember? Dino in boxes.
    I am posting the question in another thread as I need a reply soon. My resin is getting hot.

I am glad you are liking this. For me it is insane, as now I am starting to see a car being born.

Regards, Alberto

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #178 PSk, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
    Surely you can import some primer? You must seal the metal properly or it will rust in no time, but sure you know this.
    Pete

4. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Pete we can get all the most varied toxic products not available anywhere else, but no white primer. Gray, all we want. That's what 's sitting under the white paint. When we will go to the paint booth, one more light mist of white, then Giallo Fly!
    Thank you for the advice.
    Regards, Alberto

5. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    Alberto,
    Your work is stunning and I'm sure the rest of the restoration will be to the same exceedingly high standards. Not only have you reversed the clock and brought an elderly Dino back to its youth, you have provided other Dino lovers/restorers many helpful insights into how these automotive art works can be revived, even when it seems hopeless at the starting line. Thanks for taking the time to document and share your work!

Mark

6. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #181 swift53, Jun 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    It looks great and neat, Alberto. Very nice patio, too!

8. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Tropics, right Andy?

I am getting some wild ideas of photos of the Dino once it's painted, only in the body...tropical settings, again.
    Thank you!
    Regards, Alberto

9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #184 swift53, Jun 14, 2011
  10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #185 swift53, Jun 21, 2011
  11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #186 swift53, Jun 21, 2011
    The consoles need to be addressed as the handbrake section is completely wrong and possibly from another car. The shifter console had been made and left unfinished, in aluminum by someone that did not know fiberglass existed. It is really well made though.
    Mercifully, the front console was, and is original.
    Modifications are needed across the board as everything has to be remade.
    I have a rear "E" series section that was molded up, and the prototype started to be modified as the handbrake in an L, is different in size and in its placement also.
    Just a bit of snip snip, glue glue. The center is in a mold of the "original aluminum,
    then will need a cig. lighter nacelle installed into it, and the corresponding openings
    cut out for the controls and ash tray. The front console, will be made new as the fixing tongues were falling off and in bad condition.
    Fortunately, they all are fixable situations...:)
    The accelerator pedal cover is the original, I am amazed it was even there.

Regards, Alberto
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Just subscribed. Fantastic thread!

13. evoderby

evoderby Rookie

Nov 10, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Harald
    Great build Alberto!

One thing, I think your (mock up) brake lines don't do the car justice....with the proper tools ($50 in total on eBay) you can really make them 'shine'. After all true beauty often lies in the smallest of details....

Here's an article that explains the basics:

http://www.classictrucks.com/tech/0501cl_brake_line_basics/index.html

Hope this helps, good luck!

14. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    Looks great Alberto!

15. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you Harald, a mock up is just that, we are only trying to find the routing with cheap copper refrigerator wire as all the brake lines were missing. We have the real stuff from Fedhill, to make the various flares to new cunifer pipes, with all the new fittings and assorted accessories.
    Thank you for your concern and I assure you will not be disappointed with the end result...
    Regards, Alberto

16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #191 swift53, Jun 22, 2011
    Alvaro Ferraro, very kindly sent me a topographical map of his center console.
    I have now 7 photos of every possible dimension, with the coordinates for the hole placements, so we are set to making molds.
    He mentioned that his is damaged, evidently Ferrari plastic vacu-formed process
    was not the best. Fiberglass will work much better.
    Thank you Alvaro!

Regards, Alberto

17. afer

afer Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Uruguay, S. America
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Ferraro
    A pleasure to dismantle my center console to take the dimentions and pictures. Was a surprise to see my picture in the FChat, but maybe can help other L owner.
    Regards, Alvaro

18. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  19. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I spy another Dino, and a bonnet skin in high storage ... ? :).

I notice people (here and on Alfabb.com) are putting the dynamat on the inside of door skins, thus I have to assume it is happy getting wet? Will it hold water and cause the door skin to rust?
    Pete

20. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    For the floor installation, doesn't the carpet go right over the Dynamat? If so, what do you plan to do to disguise it? The other areas (doors, roof) are covered.

21. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Pete, the stuff is horribly sticky, and as long as you flatten it well with a roller, there is no way water will get in behind it. I had a spot of the tar like substance that it has behind the foil, stuck to my hand, and only paint thinner would get it off. Inside the doors of the Dino
    there is room to start under the top fold, so water has no accessibility. The only way, would be turtle, and that is not in the books...
    The hood skin, is another we made. The Dino "E", will be next :)

Ron, I really did not think about what to put on top of the Dynamat, possibly someone that has used it before can offer experiences. The carpets will cover it well, possibly some
    jute layers would work (got plenty of that over here!), albeit some black paint should be used to cover the foil in strategical locations.

Regards, Alberto

Regar

22. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I ask because that bright shiny silver Dynamat will easily show if any speck of it is not covered by carpeting...which as I understand it just lays on the floor (and therefore can shift exposing slivers of what's under the carpeting).

23. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    I was under the impression that the Dynamat went UNDER the fiberglass floor skin, sandwiched between it and the belly pan. If your belly pan isn't on, you could flip the rotisserie upside down and fill the voids easily.

24. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Alberto's 6/21 photos show the floor pan in place, no Dynamat. Photos with Dynamat came later, covering up all but the seat rails. Thus my question to him about covering the Dynamat.

25. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #200 swift53, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
    Never thought about it, but then, what did Dino have between carpets and tub? I am guessing the typical thick horse blanket that rotted all Italian car floors, with the black coating on it or just thick sisal/jute? I am guessing you have to build some give under the carpeting, otherwise it will be a hard feel and 1/2" or less in thickness? I really don't know.

I suppose you could install the Dynamat under the tub. I just copied OMG Jon's Dino. We're all lemmings. Don't you have an Ipad 2 yet? No? Quick, before they sell out!
    Sorry Glenn...

No rotisserie for painting Jon, as we do not possess Jerr-Dans here, or USA trained tow truck operators, just the old stuff you guys threw away ;) thus the wheelies, as my race car trailer will do real well to the paint booth. Of course we could have done that after the car goes back on the rotisserie, and then...........oh heck, it's already done.
    Time for a drink.

As far as the silver stuff, we already took measures.
    Will show you tomorrow.
    Stay tuned.

Regards, Alberto