Dino re-paint December update | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Dino re-paint December update

Discussion in '206/246' started by dm_n_stuff, Dec 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Hadn't really considered it a problem. But, I guess I could dig up the chromed one somewhere...

DM

2. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#102 dm_n_stuff, Mar 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    You are not having he headers coated?

4. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

nope.

maybe next year

5. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Dave- I pulled my engines & cut off the heat shields around the headers as they were all rusty. I had the headers Jet Hot coated in silver & it looks marvelous...in addition I had the air injector nozzles cut off & welded up. I also had hex head sockets machined to fit the holes on the header spacer that the injector rail fit into. The thought being was that it looks much better & cleaner & since the airpump is removed the heat that was produced by the air pump will no longer be an issue to contend with. I may still wrap the headers anyway but I will have to see. Before you re-install the engine you should consider as it is a pain to do otherwise. Your car looks great...champ

6. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Had a long conversation with my mechanic about this yesterday.

His concern is that by the time we bead blast the covers, there may not be a lot of cover left.

The heat shields are there for a purpose, otherwise (as the Dino was the CHEAP Ferrari) they never would have installed them. I'm going to leave well enough alone on this.

Thanks guys,

Dave

7. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    That's another thing on "L" series cars that is different. The heat shields aren't part of the exhaust. Reading your thread reminded me of the 4+ years I invested in restoring my Dino. Your end result will be great.

8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Hey Dave,

You see the title - the subject is PEBBLE BEACH - I get the feeling, you'll have the finest 246 around. But, I also love the fact that there are a few guys out there who are working their butts off to make their 246s', "the best".

Best of good fortune to all who are working to make these incredible cars, the best they can be.

My next girl's body - will remind me of a 246. (I'll even like the screaming voice):)

Cheers, Hank

9. champtc

champtc Formula Junior

Apr 18, 2004
    Dave- I agree with your mechanic that bead blasting the exhaust covers (heat shields ) would turn them into swiss cheese. However, on my car the air pump was removed when I bought it. I am told that the airpump caused additional heat to the exhausts and was the reason for the heat shields. So if your airpump has been removed you may not need the shields anyway.

10. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Dave,

Just sent this to OmgJon. You might be interested too.

Jon,

I think that your headers are probably fine. The problem is the thin steel heat shielding that probably started rusting before it got in the car. Your car is now exempt and the air injector pump is probably shot by now. Mine was. I plugged the ports in the aluminum spacers, stripped off the shielding and called it a day. With no air injection, the header temp is grossly lower. Just make sure that alternator wiring is well clear in the front and the starter cable has some kind if shield in the rear. Fiberglass sleeve over wiring is good insurance. My aluminum sheet firewall is fine with the heat. Been running with no air injection for 20 years. Car lives mostly outside and has 186,000 miles so far.

Pin whatever plugs you use in the spacers and make sure you keep the spacers in the correct orientation. Front and rear are diferent and there is a top and bottom. Spacers have an oval exhaust passage that is not lined up with the bolt holes. Spacers match head ports and are larger than the tubing of the headers. Leave out the electric clutch and air pump when putting the alternator back. Life is much easier without all the extra plumbing. Take a look at some of my pics in the "Dino Saga" series.

Of course you might want to try to keep everything working. In that case forget all of the above. Headers themselves will not rust but discolor immediately when hot. Not much point in even polishing them. Sheet metal shields could be redone in stainless but expensive.

Let us know how it will go. Pics are great. Thanks.

John

11. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Got back behind the wheel today.

Very short trip back to Algar from Goodman Radio (maybe 2 miles) but damn, it felt great.

Gear box is better than ever, Superformance parts and my mechanic's skills have mad it smooth as silk.

Engine was strong as ever, and the Becker radio (Replacing the modern McIntosh) looked great, and sounded excellent.

Now all I need is the turn signal stalk to get back from its West Coast rehabilitation, courtesy of Tom Shaughnessy, and I'll be on the road.

Did I miss anyone in my shameless plugs?

Oh yeah, PAINT IS FREAKIN' PERFECT!!! Delphais did a superb job.

I'll post pictures when I get back from Vegas on the 12th.

Dave

12. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Hank,

We all know PEbble Beach doesn't allow mass produced cars on the grounds.

But I do appreciate the vote of confidence.

I'd like to take it to National in May. We'll see if I can get the million little things squared away by then.

Dave

13. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#113 dm_n_stuff, Apr 13, 2006
    Well... is a Dino restoration ever REALLY finished?

But, for now, she's home, and going out for a few hours tomorrow, weather permitting.

DM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  15. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Beautiful red. Well done. Drive!

Congratulations,

John

16. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Excellent!

17. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    #117 ferrarifixer, Apr 14, 2006
    It does look great, but do you guys in America feel hard done by because you dont get the flush fitting indicator lens, clap hand wiper arms and have to have that side marker lamp?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nah.

I kind of like the US version better.

I don't know why, exactly, but I do.

And I for sure don't like the hand clappinig wipers, reminds me of a Buick. :D

DM

19. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Buick? Which model? A Century?

Mark

20. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#120 dm_n_stuff, Apr 15, 2006
  21. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    Aww, come on, you can't compare a Dino to that Barge!!

What are the laws about using a RHD car in US? Can it be done with a Dino?

22. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

You are absolutely right, there's no comparison, the Dino could be a HOOD ORNAMENT for that particular car.

Aren't there plenty of Euro spec LHD hand clapping Dinos out there, no eed to go RHD. But, yes, RHD is legal here, just confusing. We're Americans are not the brightest bulbs in the worldwide pack you know.

DM

23. ferrarifixer

ferrarifixer F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 22, 2003
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Phil Hughes
    You mean you know there is life on other shores...

you're ahead of the majority!!

24. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Dave all we get to see is ONE picture!!!!!! Come on take some more shots :) please!
    Erik

25. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    the clapping hands are a matter of taste. although i know in some ways the euro dinos are superior, i have to sya that i like the front bumber treatment on the american cars far better than the euro cars.