Dino F40 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Dino F40

Discussion in '206/246' started by msdesignltd, May 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    "The rear 348 cam cover does not have this as the engine is longitudinally mounted."

The above from my previous post should not say rear 348 cam cover as there is no rear cam cover in a 348 engine as it's longitudinally mounted and the cam covers are left and right, not front and rear as in a transverse engine. This 10 minute edit limit is really annoying.

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I knew what you meant. Thanks for the photos and explanation. I'm more convinced now it's all 308/328 based. Too much of a hassle to do it any other way for diminishing returns.

miurasv likes this.
  3. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    The air horns look neat, but it's probably better for the motor to have an air cleaner. And a better air flow intake system.

4. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #54 PAUL500, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    We are all guessing at this stage but here is a 348 cam cover, bolt pattern looks the same as the one used, also the 308/328 version allows oil to be added for a wet sump via the filler. I imagine that the F40 and then the 348 were direct evolution's of the 328 engine, but offered better options for the engine build, such as maybe bigger valves etc, so the combination of parts produced the best package for the project. I would think alternatives would be sought for the F40 block though if they build any more to the Lee spec. Also they did a dry sump version of the 308 so that would indicate either options can be used for the gearbox sump/block combination
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

5. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I absolutely love the idea .. although I could not imagine doing that to my DINO ... I have always thought the DINO was and is one of the most beautiful Ferraris ever built .. hate the idea of tearing up good cars but basket cases cars or cars with replacement engines etc....
    seems like there are many Ferrari V8s that could work just modify it to fit and sound right...

6. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #56 davemqv, Jun 2, 2018
    I think it's a cool idea. Although I prefer the original Mototechnique car to the new one built for David Lee. Not such a fan of the plexi engine cover.

What really interests me is the idea of making older cars like the 246 more reliable and easier to drive on a daily basis in modern traffic, while still keeping the original engine and looks. My dream would be to own a 70's Ferrari, like a 246, or Daytona or a C/4, and redo things like the cooling, brakes, hoses, etc, to make it more modern and safe as a daily, but still retain the same engine and look. A practical resto-mod, if you will. These specific cars are a little too tricked out for my taste. The bigger wheels on both cars kill the overall look for me, but I like the idea..

Personally, I'm also a little turned off by the way David Lee is handling this car. He's said he was challenged to a hill race by Magnus Walker, and wanted to come up with a resto-mod Ferrari to compete with one of Magnus's restomod Porsche's. He claims he "designed" this car himself, but it seems quite clear that he had seen the Mototechnique Dino previously, and commissioned them to build him one, admittedly with some notable differences, which is fine. The part I don't like is that instead of saying he commissioned the car from Mototechniqiue and sending new business to them directly, he's created a "company" called Monza Automotive or something, which will "build" these 25 cars that he can profit from. In reality it seems Mototechnique will build everything, but as a contractor. All fine and good but Lee has seemingly publicly cut them out of all conversation about the car, which is cheesy in my opinion. He hashtags everyone and their brother except Mototechnique on social media. I asked "Monza" about it and they did respond, saying they have a "business" relationship. But it seems that business relationship is to have someone else do all the work and then slap your own brand name on it. A lazy form of capitalism, IMO. And it wipes away a part of the car community which I love, namely giving credit where credit is due. But if Mototechinique is happy with the deal, so be it. If David Lee wants to call it a Monza and double the price for retail consumers, more power to him.. I just think Mototechnique do such great looking work (along with O'Rourke Coachtrimmmers) they deserve to be credited publicly as the builder/innovator behind the car.

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Everything has to be marketed and sold which is no small task in itself. Mr Lee seems like a nice man but I do think he needs to brush up on his Ferrari history. He said that Dino Ferrari's biggest contribution was the Monza 333SP.

davemqv likes this.
  8. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #58 davemqv, Jun 2, 2018
    Yes, I agree.

I can see how what I said was perhaps vague. I have no problem with David Lee creating a brand or earning money off of these cars. The only thing I object to is pretending he (as Monza) is doing the builds himself, which is very clearly the impression they are trying to give as a brand. His whole appearance on Jay Leno was filled with quotes like "I'm doing this.." and "I'm doing that", which I think is misleading, especially since in early articles about this exact car, before he branded it as a Monza, it was VERY clear that Mototechnique had been the guiding force in innovation and problem solving. In other words, he seems to be trying to claim the cache of a company like Singer, without doing any of the build/innovative work himself. If he credited Mototechnique openly I'd have zero problem with his branding or commercial gumption. It may seem sentimental but the car world is one of the few worlds where we still give credit to the different craftspeople who work on a car. I don't like seeing that subverted. It seems unseemly to me, and beneath the etiquette of the classic car world I know. I've defended Mr. Lee against detractors in the past. I believe he's a genuine enthusiast, which is one of the reasons this doesn't sit well with me. Someone who truly admires the work of another usually doesn't try to cut them out of the picture. Instead, they usually try and hype them.

On the other hand, Mototechnique might be very happy to avoid the commercial sales world, and just focus on getting paid well to build cool cars . I still think they deserve credit for their work, and if I personally had a million bucks to update a Dino, I'd go directly to them and try and solve the problems that interest me instead of buying another man's idea of a dream Dino. But that's just my 2 cents.

9. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Dino and vintage Ferrari owners, if you want to see the V8 Dino, it’ll be at our secret C&C tomorrow in Malibu. If you text me, agree to keep it secret AND will bring your car, I’ll give you details where it is.

Freeman

10. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Perhaps one of you can look at the cylinder block to see the engine tipo stamped on it.

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Actually there is no need to use the 308QV/328 cam cover with the integrated engine stabiliser. The earlier 308 has a detachable stabiliser that bolts on top of the cam cover so you could just add the bracket to the 348 cam cover to stabilise the engine.

See earlier 308 engine below which uses the detachable engine stabiliser bracket.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #62 miurasv, Jun 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Actually, please ignore the above. I just realised I am wrong. You can't just fit the stabilising bracket from the earlier 308 over and on to the 348 cam cover as the 348 heads won't have the extended studs to project far enough through the cam cover and stabilising bracket to secure it. If you see the pic below of a dry sump 308 engine posted by Fchat Consultant Newman you can see the extended studs I am referring to for fitment of the bracket.

13. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Simple enough to sort though Steve with threaded bar used instead of bolts, I would guess the cast version was chosen as it looks more period and neater.

If there was any egging of the cake then claims would have been made for F40 heads or such like rather than naming them as 348 ones. Each part seems to have been selected as providing the best option for this particular build.

I recall reading that the 348 has a well flowing 4 valve head, and maybe the 5 valve 355 ones were seen as too peaky, as the engine does have to be thrashed up the rev range to get the best out of them. F40 heads are designed for forced induction so would have needed a lot of opening up and flow work to make them suitable for na.

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    miurasv, davemqv and BMW.SauberF1Team like this.
  15. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    All that beautiful work and they couldn't get rid of the US marker lights while they were at it?

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California

Here’s a good view to show the stance. The wheels were really well executed and because they were cast, they had the authentic “Campy” look. I just wish they were available in 16”!

Freeman

Makuono likes this.
  17. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Thanks for the photos. So its' an F105 block (308)? That's answers a lot.

Edit: F105C? From a 3.2 Mondial?

18. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    #68 PAUL500, Jun 3, 2018
    Ooops! someone has been telling porkies then.....that is disappointing.

It does look stunning next to a standard car even so.

19. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
  20. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    According to the link could be 328GTB/S. See here: http://www.308-328.com/328/328guideachaten.html

Also read 328 GTB/S engine tipo = F105CB.

21. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Thank you! I feel really fortunate to have one of my all time dream cars and to be near the best roads in SoCal to really appreciate what an amazing machine it is!

Freeman

davemqv likes this.
  22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #72 miurasv, Jun 3, 2018
    I understand where you're coming from but Kevin's 328 powered Dino project is at least 3 years old since completion. The Petrolicious article regarding that was in 2015 and as far as we know the only person who has done anything about acquiring a similar car is David Lee who initially tried to buy Kevin's car. So, it's David Lee who would be taking the risk to sell the 25 cars by funding/commissioning them. It's he who will be marketing the car and/or using his contacts most probably built up over many years selling high end watches and also through his car enthusiast contacts. I can understand why Mr Lee would be reluctant to bandy Mototechnique's name much as he could go to the expense and effort of creating the desire for the car for potential customers to cut him out and do exactly what you would do and go direct to Mototechnique. That would be so unjust to Mr Lee. Presumably if Mr Lee is going to market the car then some formal/legal arrangement would be in place for him to have sole rights to sell it in order for potential customers to be prevented from going direct to Mototechnique and cutting Mr Lee out in the same way that we buy goods through retailers and not direct from the manufacturer. Kevin and Mototechnique benefit from the work in converting the cars.

23. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Yes F105C is Mondial 3.2

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Pic is said to be of a 328 GTB/GTS engine. Can't find another pic of a 328 GTB/ GTS cylinder block tipo stamp or of a Mondial 3.2 engine. Clearly not the F120 stamp of the F40 cylinder block on the car though as posted by Freeman

You can't use an F40 block with a 328 gearbox without modifications due to the F40 dry sump oil pump positioning anyway.

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    miurasv likes this.