Dino DIY - Bleeding the brakes and filling with new fluid | FerrariChat

Dino DIY - Bleeding the brakes and filling with new fluid

Discussion in '206/246' started by synchro, Nov 19, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Brake fluid needs to be changed periodically because it gets old, drops out of spec, and readily accepts water vapor (hydroscopic?) which can promote rusting of the lines from the inside out.

There are several methods to bleed brakes, here is one that I've found to be simple, efficient and able to be done alone. I found an ingenious Speedbleeder device from a fellow Fchatter's recommendation and I've loved the convenience. Speed Bleeder brake bleed screws are ingenious and make one-man brake bleeding a simple and fast task. You remove the old bleed screws and replace with these:

http://www.speedbleeder.com/size.htm
    The correct sizes that I've found are:
    front = SB8125L
    rear = SB7100

2. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #2 synchro, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    First, you'll want to bleed the brake calipers that are furthest away from the booster then progressing towards those nearest the booster to facilitate getting the maximum amount of old fluid out without mixing the new/old too much. Since the booster is in the front right of the Dino, you'll want to bleed the left rear caliper first, then the right rear, the left front and finally the right front.

Safely jack the left rear up, double support it and remove the wheel. Fit an 8mm wrench on the bleed screw and make sure it has a 180 degree angle of rotatiion. Next, attach a flexible drain line to the nipple (speedbleeder sells a great silicon tube) and route the drain line upwards to give any bubbles a route out of the brake system and then downward into a catch container. I lightly stuff the silicon tube between the shock springs and that fits it well.

Rotate the 8mm wrench 1/4 to 1/2 a turn ccw to allow the speedbleeder to open. Get in the car and depress the brake peddle 4 to 5 times to push fluid out through the tube and into the catch container (aka 2L Pepsi bottle)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #3 synchro, Nov 19, 2008
    After about 4-5 peddle strokes, I find the brake fluid reservoir is low enough to be filled. You do not want to let this go dry as you force fluid out of the system because it will introduce bubbles into the system and that can cause mushy brakes, uneven braking or worse. After about 4-5 pedal strokes, you'll need to add fluid to the brake booster reservoir.
    But which fluid should you use?

Since the Dino brake system is made by ATE I prefer to use ATE brake fluid and have found that ATE "Super Blue" and ATE "TYP 200" are identical except for the color of the fluid. TYP 200 is yellow and Super Blue is, well..., blue. By alternating colors I found it to be an easy indicator to tell me when all the old fluid has been pushed out of the system and been replaced by the new fluid.

For example, last year I used ATE "Super Blue" so this year I'll use ATE "TYP 200" and all I need to do is add that yellow TYP 200 to the reservoir every 4-5 peddle strokes, watch the old fluid coming out and when the fluid changes from blue to yellow then I'm done.

NOTE: Your reservoir probably looks different than mine as pictured because the PO upgraded my brake booster and master cylinder.

4. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #4 synchro, Nov 19, 2008
    When the fluid in the drain tube changes color, you've succeeded in changing the fluid!

Rotate the bleed screw cw to close it, pull the drain tube, remove the wrench and clean the whole area with your favorite brake cleaner. Replace the bleed screw nipple cover and reinstall the tire then safely lower the Dino

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #5 synchro, Nov 19, 2008
  6. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Great tutorial!

I really like the idea of the different colored fluid.

If you use the speed bleeders can you do the job yourself or do you slill need an assistant?

7. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Is there only a single bleeder per wheel?

8. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Yes, only one bleeder per caliper.

Now if I could only spell the title of this thread correctly....

9. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    YES, works easily when solo! That is the beauty of the speedbleeders.

In the past I have had two issues with standard bleed screws in a one-man operation that the speed bleeder solves:
    1) after the downward pedal stroke I rush to the caliper to shut off the screw and am too slow so that air gets in the system
    2) I have unscrewed the bleed screw so far that air gets in through the threads. (the hint of adding grease on the threads doesn't work)

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #10 synchro, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
    I purchased several fluid items recently and did some shopping around but found the cheapest was on Amazon.com, even when factoring in shipping

The ATE brake fluid was bought on Amazon through
    Hoerr Racing Products at $12.95 per liter and s&h for 6 L was $10. It turned out to be cheaper than my local retail stores sell it for (tax incl), which amazed me.

PS - Amazon must have a strangle hold on these guys.
    For example, I bought SWEPCO gear oil fluid on Amazon from CDOC and the price (including s&H) was far cheaper than on CDOC's website or CDOC's eBay listings.

11. DinoDriver

DinoDriver Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Bill Ebert
    Scott, nicely done thread with great photos. Love the idea of using different color fluids. One suggestion: Before starting to bleed the first caliper, I use a kitchen "oven baster" (if you don't know what that is, ask your wife) to suck all but a very small amount of the old fluid from both the reservoirs. Then, fill both reservoirs with fresh fluid and secure the caps. If you don't do that, you're just contaminating the new fluid with old. Don't forget to secure the caps.

Btw, for those who don't have the SpeedBleeders, you can help avoid getting air in the system by pushing down slowly on the brake pedal (~2 sec) and coming back up even slower(~3-4 sec). And Scott's right, you only need to open any bleeder about 1/4 turn.

Bill

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Great idea, you're an old hand at this!

With the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday, I can see myself (human clutz) in the kitchen holding two turkey basters with a puzzled look on my face trying to recall which one I used but didn't tell her and saying to myself
    "if I make the wrong choice, this gravy is going to taste weird..."

13. DinoDriver

DinoDriver Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Bill Ebert
    LOL!!! I've been there and done that! I also clearly remember taking a lot of grief for stinking up the whole house for baking the fresh paint on my 330 exhaust heatshields to make the paint "crinkle." Oh, the stories to be told by DIYers! :))

Bill

14. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

If you use olive oil rather than ATE fluid you won't even have to rinse the baster out before putting it back in the kitchen drawer!

15. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    In that instance, just make sure not to contaminate the oil with any balsamic vinegar! Fred

16. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    Surrey, UK
    #16 Mark Shannon, Mar 17, 2011
    Can someone please tell me if this brake fluid resevior is correct. As seen below.

Or maybe just on some late cars ?

Mark Shannon

17. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Mark, it is not correct for Ferrari Dino 206/246 GT/GTS.
    Regards Matthias

18. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Nope, car was upgraded to the 308 brake booster. The correct stock one will have two separate reservoirs.

19. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #19 swift53, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
    That looks like a reservoir, possibly BMW, with the floats in each section and the plug leads for the two senders that signalled an eventual lack of fluid in either half.
    Alfa Romeo had same, except single float.
    Matthias, what are the correct reservoirs for the 4 Dino variants? Are they the two individual remote ones for all?
    Synchro, those bleeders are great!
    Regards, Alberto

20. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Yes, two individual reservoirs.
    No differences in between series.
    Regards Matthias

21. synchro