Dino destoyed near Naples FL | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Dino destoyed near Naples FL

Discussion in '206/246' started by WILLIAM H, Nov 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bjm

bjm Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Full Name:
    Brian
    OMG thats awful..praying for a complete recovery for him.

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That IMHO is a big issue and should be addressed. I really think at least a 4 point should always be worn in these older cars.

3. Valence

Valence Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Charlottesville, VA
    Full Name:
    Chris& Brian Coffing
    No Way! You dino guys only have lap belts? Listen to Mr. G!

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    I'm so glad to hear Zannos is recovering. I don't know him, but we Fchatters are all brothers.

Bob, I'm sorry I offended your profession. You are right, I was a little hard on the media. Up here in Boston, the Globe is known around the country as one of the most liberal biased newspapers in the universe, and it bugs the crap out of me. They can't write a story about the weather without blaming it on global warming and the Republicans. I read the story about this accident and saw "Ferrari" this and "Ferrari" that and it just struck me as biased against Zannos from the start. Maybe I'm wrong, but it struck me that way. Especially because it's not even a Ferrari! ;) (Zing. Sorry, couldn't help myself.)

Up here in Boston on every election, the Globe "endorses" a candidate. You hear ads on the radio "So and so is the candidate for governor endorsed by the Boston Globe." Ever since this started, I have decided that the media is really just part of the political machine. Since when should a newspaper "endorse" anyone? They should report the news, not comment on it, bias it, or try to change it. At least in this part of the country, you can't believe ANYTHING you read in the newspaper because it's only part true. It's like every story is an editorial.

Birdman

5. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    It surprises me that you just realized this!

Easiest not to purchase and read the Globe anymore.

Why support the propaganda?

Buy Forza instead!

6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn

only the 74 has lapbelts. the 72 and 73 has shoulder belt as well

7. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    ...Yeah, actually, no.

If the driver were obeying the suspension of his license he wouldn't of been there in the SUV's blind spot in the first place.

...I don't want to know where they put that probe!

Cars owners are responsible for passing the emissions tests, drivers' behaviors are responsible for the validity of their licenses.

8. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Geez, just when the thread had mellowed down a bit, here you come along with a fresh can of gasoline......

Neil

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Depends on year, and on US/Euro configuration I believe.

MY US 72 has a two piece shoulder/lap belt. [edit] which allows you to use only the lap belt, should you choose.[edit]

DM

10. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Illinois may suspend for failure to test, not for failing the test.

11. opus10583

opus10583 Formula 3

Dec 3, 2003
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Important points I felt were obscured under all the bipartisan tar and feathers.

12. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    What matters is that everyone should be ok. Who cares about the car(s) involved. Am glad to hear he is making a recovery.

As for the rest, am sure everyone will have their day in court. Who are we to be judge and jury? Sheesh people, if he was being a wanker am sure he will pay dearly one way or another.

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith

One of the general principles our society operates under, at least with regard to crime and punishment, is that the punishment needs to be commensurate with the crime.

In this case a 41 yo cardiologist, who apparently is a really terrific guy (I've never met him) made an error of judgement and ended up paying a very costly amount, almost his life. People here, those that are reasonable adults anyway, have expressed their sympathy. Only pedantic trolls like you would harp on about suspended licenses. There are a number of relatively innocuous reasons why a person's license may be suspended, and in the very hectic life of a doctor may have been put on the backburner of things to get around to, unfortunately a little too long. We do not know if he was weaving, we do not even know his speed (from the photo of the car I suspect it was far LESS than 100mph given the damage), and we know nothing about the "correctness" of the Jeep pulling into his path.

For all we know he had his license suspended that week, unwittingly missed by him for a parking ticket unpaid too long, driving 60mph in a 55 to the ER for an acute MI, pulled into the right lane to dodge a demented octogenarian hitting the brakes in the center lane, just as someone erroneously pulled out onto rt 41 without looking (talking on the cell phone about last night's lay) right in front of him. Right now his 5 children are crying, wondering if daddy will be OK, and his wife, the pediatrician, is trying to take care of sick kids in the office, while wondering how her husband will be............

His punishment has already far exceeded his "crime." Get off his back. One day people may be dancing on your grave too, and I'll be right there with 'em.

14. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    "nuff said. Can a mod now close this thread and spare the man and his family any more of our unwarranted speculation on exactly what happened and who's to blame.

15. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Wow...! Les, how are you...? It seems like forever since you last posted...! How are you...? I hope all is well... I was in PA recently... Thought about you as I drove through the east side up into NY...

16. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Thanks man. All I can say is. 308'S ARE REAL FERRARI'S . YEA! YEA!.
    But in all honesty for most of my life I lusted after the Dino Spyder. I always knew it was a real Ferrari, and along with the 250 GTO was the most beautiful automobile ever created. I think the point of how dangerous these older cars are is really a concern. I didn't know they just had lap belts. Frankley I worry like crazy everytime my 12 year old son who is my constant companion is with me. From working on my 308 coupe I really don't feel very secure about it's crash worthiness even with the shoulder belts and mistake can be a major disaster. Lets face it we have runs around here all the time and everyone involved drives these cars very hard at times. I think that by the time we buy these cars we have (most of us anyway) accepted that at times we will drive them in a spirited manor and let's face it SH** HAPPENS.
    Although I didn't know this particular gentleman I sincerely wish him the best and hope for him many more days again driving his beautiful Dino. A speedy recovery to everyone and the other people in these threads . From reading the accounts it doesn't sound like he was being a nut case. The road sounds like a major disaster waiting to happen. I feel especially awful about his family and friends and the coming holidays.
    Although they make us feel terrible it may give us all pause and maybe the desire to be just that little bit more attentive next time, or use a little more discretion about when we kick her in the ass.

LETS ALL BE CAREFUL OUT THERE FOLKS.

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    308s are suprisingly tough.......they are larger than the Dino though.....

18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    There's a whole bunch of F-Chatter's who'd like you banned for being an ass to F-Chatters here, there and everywhere.

So be careful, otherwise, the Sausages of Christmas Past, Present and Future will pay you a visit.

19. hhh

hhh Karting

Aug 19, 2004
    Netherlands
    Is OPUS a Ferrari-fan/owner???

If he is, I suggest he takes up collecting stamps ar at least never drives a Ferrari again in his life.

Your comments are despicable; just because he has his license suspended makes the move by some stupid woman the right thisg to do?

Next time Mr. Opus is 1,6 mph over the limit I suggest a truck stops him.

20. walnuts

walnuts Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    suspended license...well he paid a speed fine (43 in a 30) one day too late while he was in Thailand learning incredible new medical science to help save lifes........back in the US for one day, he never made it to motor vehicles to pay the $35 fine to reinstate the license that is automatically suspended based on this technicality. Don't jump to conclusions people.

the guy who was first in line behind the accident and got out to help was the one who said the ferrari passed him way back......pretty hard to believe he passed him way back yet he was the first eye witness............

anyone ever stop to think that the car possibly accelerated to move out of the way of causing even more harm to others? it can increase its speed from a safe 55 to 70 quicker than a blink of an eye...................as mostly everyone reading this knows!

even the trooper at the scene indicated that driver of ferrari was not wearing a seat belt........(his determination was that the belt had no stretch marks on it like he is used to seeing on current cars with woven nylon threads on the material) even though a large red mark around the waste about the width of a seatbelt was on the drivers waste line as documented by the doctors.

eyewitnesses who obviously were not where they say they were, a young inexperienced state trooper, an intersection where over 57 accidents occurred this year alone (as per the naples daily news 12/4/06), learn the truth before passing bad judgement. come to a ferrari event and talk with the driver one day..........the ferrari saved his life and the lives of others.
    signed,
    one who knows!

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks for that....welcome...

Let's just let the rest of the thread be updates in his condition please.....
    he's had surgery at this point and resting...hopefully?

22. audihenry

audihenry Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 27, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Can everyone stop assuming everything, especially when it's in favor of the Ferrari driver?

A bad accident happened, just wish well for those involved. We're not the jury here determining who did what and why. What you hope to accomplish by this childish back-and-forth is beyond me.

Does anyone know how the Ferrari driver is doing? IIRC, the other driver was okay.

23. walnuts

walnuts Rookie

Jan 25, 2006
    Well, both Zannos and the driver of the Jeep are both out of the hospital. Zannos went to motor vehicles and paid (ready for this..) $5.25 administrative fee to get his drivers license reinstated.

A prayer was said while standing over the DINO, and hopefully one day it will drive again!

Three different cars were moving across the Northbound lanes of US41 all in the process of trying to turn left and head South. The Jeep was moving slow, blocking most of 41 North, since a car in front of her stopped in the center median and she had no place to go. A third car also was attempting this crazy left turn and had his car's nose partially blocking the right lane.

No one could have avoided a collision under these circumstances. Speed was not a factor.

Being a careful and skilled driver, Zannos controlled the Dino and hit the Jeep in the front corner thus saving the drivers life. Another inexperienced driver may have hit the drivers door head on.

These are true facts that don't make headline news in Naples, Florida. The handling of the Ferrari and the skill of the driver made this less traumatic for all of those involved.

24. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Nice update/explanation. Thanks.

25. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    i knew some idiot must have blocked the cnter lane, classic Florida.