"Dino: Car Of The North" | FerrariChat

"Dino: Car Of The North"

Discussion in '206/246' started by 4CamGT, Feb 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Featured in the March 1985 issue of Road&Track. "Peter Egan's epic winter road trip to California in a 1972 Dino 246GT with no heat"

?Dino: Car of The North?

This is one of my all time favorite stories of a Dino. Featured here with all the photos (some in color)!

Freeman

swift53 and Jamie H like this.
  2. Daryl

Daryl Formula 3

Nov 10, 2003
    Barrington Hills, IL
    Full Name:
    Daryl Adams
    #2 Daryl, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have a special connection with that Dino. I met the owner, Carl Maguire, at Road America shortly after he purchased the car. He showed me the car and we had a nice chat. I started a pencil sketch of the Dino that I finished up at home. Then, years later, I was sitting down to read the latest issue of Road & Track and saw Egan's story. As I read it I smiled and looked up at the wall where the sketch of "Dino - Car of the North" was hanging. What a great road trip. Now that I have my own Dino I cannot imagine attempting that journey!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Edward 96GTS likes this.
  3. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Daryl,

Your rendering is stunning! Really sensitive work. I wonder where the Dino is now? I bet the reason it had no heat was because the heater valve was off! It would also be interesting to see other Dinos in the snow. Other than this article, I can't recall ever seeing any.

Freeman

4. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    the article was great .. I love your sketch also very nice.. and you are right cannot imagine doing that trip in those temps with my dino... but then again the car was only 13 years old at the time

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    #5 4CamGT, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    It's a great story when Dino's were just another car --- like mine was!

7. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I haven't read that story in 15 years, but I remember it vividly. My favorite parts were digging the car out of a snowbank with a child's plastic shovel held together by a staple and Egan's description of his toes thawing out! Absolutely classic road trip journalism.

8. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #8 celestialcoop, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Gents,
    This shot was posted by 483hp in a 48-page thread entitled 'Let's see F-cars in snow!' Search for it; more Dinos are there. (What are those objects on the road in front of the convoy...bicyclists, people, deer, little horses?)
    Cheers,
    Coop
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. PhatFrank

PhatFrank Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Norway
    I've driven the Dino once in the snow, and have to say that the car was near impossible to handle. The tyres are of course an issue, but I'd never drive it nearly 3.000 miles on snow (and I'm from Norway). Wonderful story!!

10. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    A friend of mine was with that group on that day, driving his F430 Spider. Those are mountain sheep on the road! The photo was taken on Hwy 40, west and south of Calgary.

11. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    Hey GordonC,
    Thanks for the answer! I've wondered about that since first I saw the picture. Imagine, a herd of Cavallinos being held up by a flock of sheep!
    Ciao,
    Coop

12. Dino246gts

Dino246gts Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2006
    I absolutely loved the story!
    But just a practical question. If you already have a Europa and a Miura being trailered why not just add one more car, the Dino. Understood the Dino wasn't worth much in 1985, but 2900 miles, part of it through the snow, can't be good for any car, but especially given the stories of the Dino's tendency to rust.

13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    It would be interesting to know where *02828* is now. 2013 Scottsdale Bonhams Auction is the last place I can find it https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20582/lot/337/.

Maybe someone on the F-Chat forum knows? Matthias?

Freeman

14. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    nothing beyond 2013.... but original colour was Viola Dino Metallizzato 106-A-71
    :)

15. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    One of my favorite descriptions of the Dino heater.

16. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Matthias,

Was it original with the round hole intakes on the front lower chin?

Freeman

17. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I remember fondly that article. The following summer, owing to the fact that Sergio Pininfarina's prototype 206 GT was silver, and admiring the Dino of the North, I had 03964 painted silver. It remained that color until 2002, when it was bare-metal stripped and painted Rosso Fiorano Metallizzato. Silver is a great Dino color. Daryl, your rendering is the equal of a Pininfarina studio folio. Coop, judicious use of the Dino's air horns may have parted the sheep, I would hope! Apropos this thread, we have had about a foot of new snow today in Western NY, with about another foot on the way. My Dino is shivering in my garage, but at least it is dry, and not bothered by any errant sheep! Fred

18. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    no, replacement front...

19. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Must have been from hitting the snow bank! 😳

20. Robert guth

Robert guth Rookie

Sep 29, 2018
    Mooresville, NC
    Full Name:
    Rober E. Guth
    Hello all. I’m
    very happy to say that I’m the current owner of 02828, having purchased it recently at the RM Sotheby’s Elkhart auction. It’s still a wonderful car and I’m looking forward to getting it back up to a great condition. I’ve followed the trail on the “Dino of the North” article and it certainly seems that it was 02828. Even Marcel Massini’s report shows Dr. Maguire as the owner (from 1981 through 1993). In working to find 100% confirmation and will report back - and any further thoughts any of you have are of course very welcome.

LARRYH likes this.
  21. Robert guth

Robert guth Rookie

Sep 29, 2018
    Mooresville, NC
    Full Name:
    Rober E. Guth
    Hi Daryl. That's a very beautiful piece of art and the perfect Dino vantage point. Have you ever considered selling a digital version? I am the owner now of Dino 02828 and it's nearing completion of a comprehensive restoration (back to original Viola), and the fact that your drawing was based on this very car is intriguing to me.