Dino 246 gts replica | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Dino 246 gts replica

Discussion in '206/246' started by spiderscott, Jan 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fibreglass

fibreglass Rookie

Sep 30, 2011
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi there

It looks like one of the early kits from my moulds and jigs.
    I had heard there was one in Australia, that was for sale a while ago but couldn't find out any more about it.
    I noticed the top suspension mounts are bolted on where as mine are welded but other than that it looks the same.
    If you have a look on the top chassis rail on the left side above the shock, is there a chassis number ?
    Were all the inner panels, floors, bulkheads etc with it ?
    Thanks
    Mark

2. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello Mark,
    I have a Dino that has some twist in the front chassis.
    Can you provide replacement parts for it?
    Regards, Alberto

3. fibreglass

fibreglass Rookie

Sep 30, 2011
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #78 fibreglass, Oct 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Alberto

What do you need, how much is damaged ?
    I should be able to help you out here.
    I have attached a couple of chassis pictures.

Thanks
    Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. ProtoTipo

ProtoTipo Rookie

Feb 28, 2011
    #79 ProtoTipo, Oct 22, 2011
    You mean like this? (see attached)

Owners of genuine cars do benefit from kit manufacturers parts.
    Quite a few original Stratos and group 4 308 GTBs run round on Hawk coffin spoke wheels, for example.

5. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I'm cringing!

6. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
    Same here.

7. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    It's either real or it isn't. I appreciate good craftsmanship versus bad craftsmanship, but at a fundamental level it doesn't really matter.

8. nilfish76

nilfish76 Rookie

Jan 10, 2012
    do you make the chassis and the fibre glass panels for the 246 GTS to order, what are your opinions on classic replicas in bridge water? if you do make theses part how much will it be?

Cheers

9. fibreglass

fibreglass Rookie

Sep 30, 2011
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi there

Yes I do make these to order when time allows but at the moment I am pretty snowed under with other work.
    I do not know anything about classic replicas other than the Dino replica is not a true replica.
    If you would like to discuss the panels or chassis please email me direct as there are many options available from small panels upto complete body, chassis and complete inner panels etc.

Thanks
    Mark

10. rossnzwpi

rossnzwpi Rookie

Jan 15, 2010
    I've watched this discussion with interest and thought I'd toss in my opinions re replica vs original. Of course the various Dino-engined cars (Ferrari, FIAT, Lancia) are fabulous machines and a well-kept or restored car is a dream. Its a shame that some snobbery creeps in when one is valued over another. Lets not forget that all are one company now! When they were new they were made by companies coming together. Each with illustrious histories. Lancia rescued Ferrari's racing team in the 50s, Fiat Dino Spider 2400s are the rarest of any of them and are the only true convertible, FIAT Dino 2400s were made in Ferrari's Maranello factory, 246 GTs never had Ferrari badges, the same body designers and engineers worked on all of them, etc, ad nauseum.....

Spares - it would be a shame if scarce parts were soaked up by replicas but, as "Fibreglass" shows, the reverse is more often the case - you can now get chassis, lights, glass, wheels, etc. because replica makers create extra demand. Some of these are reproductions of parts that are just not available otherwise.

Yes, a Dino engine in a replica seems a shame, unless it doesn't have a home in a genuine car. I bought a 2400 FIAT Dino engine from a burnt out coupe and later a 2000 FIAT Dino engine for rebuild. I also took fiberglass body molds from a FIAT Dino 2400 Spider. To complicate matters I have a set of genuine Cromodora Dino wheels and the front clip from a damaged 246GT (mostly repaired). What should I do with this collection?

I've been a huge fan of the creativity of the UK kit car scene for years and inspired by that, I'm thinking of making a replica FIAT Dino Spider with modern suspension, steering, brakes, diff, gearbox, electrics, fiberglass body shell and my 2.0 Dino engine. If I didn't have a Dino engine I'd probably use an Alfa V6 - which has much of the Dino DNA beating within it.

I've also learned how to recreate unavailable plastic lenses etc.

A replica is never going to be the real thing. It is possibly a fake and therefore bad. Maybe it could be a tribute - and therefore a good thing! I'd love to have the Mona Lisa in my living room but have to make do with a print. I would never tell anyone the print was real. Anyway you look at it you've got to love the original.

My 2 cents worth
    Cheers
    Ross in NZ

11. pjw71

pjw71 Rookie

Jan 30, 2015
    #86 pjw71, Jan 30, 2015
    Hi all. I am new to this forum. I have an old dino replica and do not know anything of its history. I am from Australia and bought it from my neighbour as it had been sitting in his shed. Looking for some parts and i have to do the intererior as well. Would be interested in chatting to some one who can help.
    Regards
    Paul

12. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    uh oh get ready........ :)

13. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Wouldn't it be cool if Kelmark used the same "Almost a Ferrari" advertising campaign as Dino's did?

14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    How about "Almost a Dino"?

P.S. Who's going to tell those two boys the truth when they're older?

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  16. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    It has a bit of a stingray thing going, don't you think?

17. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Paul,

I love replicas (GT40's, Stratos, 550 Spyders etc)! I enjoy the creativity and passion that I see in the replica industry. This replica should be a lot of fun for you! Your car has similar styling to the Dino but looks very different so chances are it doesn't share any parts. This could be a blessing for you in that Dino parts like glass and chrome trim are expensive and difficult to source. I would focus on making it safe and creating a quality finish. Finding and repurposing parts is a lot of fun.

Congratulations and welcome! You'll find many of us are a bit sarcastic but in the end love the comraderie and the sharing of ideas.

Freeman

18. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
  19. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003