Dino 246 gts replica | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Dino 246 gts replica

Discussion in '206/246' started by spiderscott, Jan 12, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MarkJ

MarkJ Formula Junior

Sep 10, 2006
    NW Arkansas
    Full Name:
    Mark Jones
    All one would need do on this "Dino" is to open the engine cover... or for that matter, tap on its fiberglass body.

2. simpsons1

simpsons1 Rookie

Jan 18, 2009
    Try tapping on one of the first 328's and tell me if it's real or not.

3. sethducati1098

Jun 24, 2011
    #53 sethducati1098, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  4. stratos

stratos Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Switzerland
  5. sethducati1098

Jun 24, 2011
    #55 sethducati1098, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
    absolutely not, I've seen the car in person.

The original owner of the company that produced them is now running the same concept,
    the moulds have been bought and sold and he recently bought them back! then modified them.
    except he has redesigned the body to mate to a toyota MR2, which looks even worse.

he will tell you the same thing. the body was hand crafted and they fudged the nose and tail, not molded from an original.
    http://www.jhclassics.com/contactus same guy who owns this company started Deon Classics 20 yrs ago
    go ahead and ask, hes a cool guy actually

here is the same comparison with guides
    [​IMG]

its not major, they missed the nose by about 4-5 inches, the back by about 2 inches
    my theory is the molded it from an original dino from a junk yard 20 yrs ago,
    that has extensive front end and rear damage from a crash (thats how they got it cheap), and they tried to correct best they could

imagination runs wild
    I seriously doubt they got a mint dino and stripped it to make a mold, or the guys is an exceptional artist and almost got it right

6. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    The thing I hate about these replica cars is that the owners often go after the scarce parts that go on a real Dino. I know this happens with the Stratos kit cars. I cringe when I see an original Stratos wheel on a fake Stratos or some other difficult to find part. Other than that they don't bother me too much.

7. sethducati1098

Jun 24, 2011
    #57 sethducati1098, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
    I actually very seriously considered buying a deon dino earlier this year and lapping it on tribute la mans era "track laps" just for fun,
    but i didnt want to have a "fake" car. I wouldnt dare put ferrari emblems on it.

however, I respect a few race era replicas, because the originals just arent out there, and they shouldnt be driven by me!!!
    the AC cobras, GT40s, AC Ford Daytona, and the Ultima GTR, which is a kit car, as well as the ariel atom.

but it introduced me to toyota powered cars when i saw one with a v6, screaming around streets of willow.
    I got to thinking about buying a toyota v6 powered track car and customizing it for track use. I already am building a superlite. So the platform actually has some promising qualities.
    check it out, http://www.superlitecars.com/
    imagine a superlite with a mid engined turbo toyota v6 drivetrain, exactly like an Evora. I'd be impressed.
    So i think there is a place for cars that are hand crafted replicas, but there is also an element of violation.

Lotus does seem the way to go if you want Japanese reliability for track use without having to build anything,
    and fun driving with exotic prowess, but dont want to worry about service and track bloopers.
    a preowned evora would be an awesome track toy, although the interior looks like pi$$ imo,
    you rip it out anyways for a track car.

PS
    I have a buddy with an authentic "cup challenge tribute" 97 F355 that had a pretty bad crash at streets of willow in 2009, only second or third lap too, so sad.
    hes recovered, but...got me thinking of track toys as temporary. sooner or later, they need big bucks and big repairs.
    that makes gt40 replicas (superperformance), cobra, etc replicas and kit builds a "low blood pressure" alternative to taking your beloved Ferrari on a track.

but dont forget about safety, dont get in a deathtrap handmade in mexico and see how fast you can go around a circuit.
    I still have some aches and pains from a bad crash in my 20s on a bike,
    trust me, a newer, safer car is a better investment than a ferrari replica
    especially if you drive a real Ferrari on the street. It's like having sex with a transvestite that looks like Megan Fox.
    looks like fun at first, until you look under the hood

8. sethducati1098

Jun 24, 2011
    I didnt realize stratos replicas were out there, without the ferrari/fiat engine, why bother.
    thats the only thing that made the car interesting to me.

9. sethducati1098

Jun 24, 2011
    #59 sethducati1098, Jul 10, 2011
    I think Ferrari made fiberglass 308s too. It's a viable alternative to expensive aluminum,
    I advise anyone to not tap on any ferrari, unless its yours. thats like squeezing my wife's boobs
    to see if they are real.

10. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #60 Bullfighter, Jul 10, 2011
    True, you end up deceiving people -- most people don't remember what a real 246 looks like, so the fakes end up representing the marque.

+1. It would be better to have the spares preserved somewhere for use in restoring the genuine article.

Replica enthusiasts are often out for the looks and many of them wouldn't understand or appreciate the authenticity of the drivetrain in any event. You don't need a real Ferrari-sourced engine to fool most onlookers.

Per racerboy9's comment, I would rather see something like a Honda Accord engine in fake Dinos and have the genuine bits preserved for the genuine cars.

11. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Funny, I believe I stumbled upon an article once of someone making his own SLR on the basis of a W126 Merc, if I remember correctly. But the best part of the story was, he made it on the basis of a scale model (!) of the concept SLR, released years before the actual SLR. Not a replica fan by any means but that's kind of cool somehow.
    Perhaps this was originally conceived the same way. 20-some years ago this info was hard to come by.

12. fibreglass

fibreglass Rookie

Sep 30, 2011
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #62 fibreglass, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just read through this with interest as there have been moulds taken from a mint 246 but not only that I have the moulds taken from the coupe and GTS models. I also have all the chassis jigs taken from the original chassis both coupe and GTS. So there are a set of perfect moulds in existance. Please see the pictures I have attached.
    I have a collection of original Ferraris, that I have bought to use the running gear in the replicas when I eventually find the time to build some. Have to admit though still haven't made my mind up about the engine yet as a more readily available engine source may be better and would probably out perform the original plus I wouldn't have to break up any real Ferraris to build the replicas then. I bought a Fiat Dino to go down that route but decided against it, I even bought a stripped 246 engine and gearbox so my options are open. The problem being that if I do not go the Ferrari engine route I will probably have to redesign the rear end of the chassis to accomodate a gearbox that is not mounted below the engine.
    There are from memory 8 replicas built from these moulds, however you probably wouldn't even realise they were not real Dinos,as far as I know they all had original engines in them etc.
    If anyone would like to know more please get in touch.

Thanks
    Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Really interesting project. I would keep the drivetrain all Ferrari. Look at it as an evolution of the Dino. How about a 308 motor/gearbox? What do you use for glass, bumpers, trim etc?

Freeman

14. David Jarrett

David Jarrett Karting

Sep 21, 2006
    Chatham Kent
    Full Name:
    David Jarrett
    I spy a GT4 in one of those photos...

15. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    A rusted 308 woyld make a perfect donor. The first ones were fiberglass afterall. A 250hp 308 motor would give great performance. You could probably use the guages, wheels(5 spoke Cromodoras or Campys), wiring loom, ventilation system etc etc!

Freeman

16. fibreglass

fibreglass Rookie

Sep 30, 2011
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #66 fibreglass, Oct 1, 2011
    The 308 route was the original idea, I bought a GTS and just can't bring myself to break it so may end up restoring it. Then I bought a 308 GTB with a slightly damaged front and again can't bring myself to break it so I even bought all the parts to repair this one, although haven't touched it since. Final attempt was a 308 GT4 which in my opinion was such an ugly car in comparison to the 246 and other 308s so this was the probable route to go. It was quite a good car which had quite a lot of money spent on the mechanical side so this will get broken up just when I have the time to do it.
    The only reason I broke up the Fiat Dino was because it was rotten and really beyond repair although it was a low mileage one owner car. I have kept the wheels and one or two other bits towards the 246 project.
    I also bought a Lancia Thema 8.32 thinking along those lines but once I had driven it, I thought what a good everyday practical car, four doors, four seats and a Ferrari V8 engine, ok the crank has been tweaked and down tuned but it's overall smoother than the 308 V8s. So this has been kept complete as well.
    Thats where I am, I have built some 246 chassis and bodies but as soon as I start looking at doing one somone seems to come along and buy them.
    As far as the glass goes, it will be all original glass.
    I have all original trim that I will get copied.
    I have some original bumpers which I am undecided on yet as I quite like the bumperless look.

Here are some pictures of a part built car from my moulds and jigs, this was on ebay several years ago and has the original engine etc. Not sure what happened to it as I lost the chaps details.

I personally prefer the coupe to the GTS but it would have looked the part if it was finished.
    I would be interested in any information on tracking down any of these replicas that were built.

Thanks
    Mark

17. dinogts

dinogts Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

#67 dinogts, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
    Why can't this type of thread be moved to a new Ferrari "Model Specific Discussions" category - like POS/BS FERRARIS????? Or, maybe there should be a new section for "Clenet and Fils." Or, better yet - "BUILDERS WANTING AND WAITING TO BE SUED BY FNA/FERRAI SpA"???

18. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Mark,

I love your creativity and passion to what you're doing!! I always find it great to see viewpoints on what's acceptable vs not. We see "toolroom" copies like the D50's all the way to Speedsters, 550's, GT40's and Cobras. The Cobras became so popular that Caroll Shelby decided to get in the act as well! Love the creativity when reading kit car magazines. It allows anyone to create their dream! Keep going!

Freeman

19. project328

project328 Rookie

May 1, 2011
    Pathetic, really pathetic.

20. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I was showing my car locally the other weekend when a guy i have known for years comes up to me and say's "blimey is this your car Graham? I have bought a set of moulds and am starting to build replicas" It transpires that he is designing them around MG TF runing gear (probably a good bet due to the age of these now and rust issues!) Anyhow he has invited me over to his workshop and i will post photos in due course.
    I have to say i have mixed emotion over this...........particularly as at the same show a couple of guys said to me that they were impressed with my replica!!!!! and when i asked them why they thought it was a replica one replied " Because if it was real you would have Ferrari badges on it!".................................I give up.
    G P

21. project328

project328 Rookie

May 1, 2011
    The MGF and all of the other replica Dino's are horrible, the thread authors cars are clearly in a different league, probably so close they irritate SOME original Dino owners because they can be completed to such a standard it would be hard to tell them apart, IMO these replicas should be in the bracket of the P4 replicas and not the POS catagory the clown insinuated.

22. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Mark, you mention the fact that you have original trim. Many here, have issues with more/less missing.
    Are you going to actively pursue the re-manufacture of these parts?
    I am certain you would have plenty of interested parties.

Regards, Alberto

23. fibreglass

fibreglass Rookie

Sep 30, 2011
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #73 fibreglass, Oct 1, 2011
    Thanks for all the comments and interest, I will continue with my own project Dino as soon as I have time. I am hoping to get most parts remanufactured. I have even gone into replacement steel repair panels and have someone who can now make several panels if anyone needs them. Obviously no use to me on a fibreglass car but I would like to think that I can help owners of original cars as well as replicas. The same goes for the 308 GTB/GTS.
    I have contemplated rebodying another car, MR2s, and MGFs come to mind but the problem is it will never look right or at least I haven't seen a perfect replica yet, however I have got something similar in mind for a cheaper project but I just need to find the right donor. I have one in mind so as soon as I can get one for the right price, watch this space, it will be a very interesting drive. The original chassis layout etc will always be best as there is no other way of making a perfect replica.
    I can appreciate the Cobras and GT40 replicas and why not have something that can be driven everyday that you do not have to worry about parking or leaving unattended.
    If the worse comes and your replica is involved in an accident, isn't this better than a £100000+ original, in some cases a lot more.
    A prime exampe is a very nice GT40 replica I have just broken up for spares, it was a very nice car and even in damaged form fooled quite a few people who thought it was a real one.
    If this had been a real one it would have been such a shame to have seen it blitzed like this. By the way this is not an advert as all the parts have been sold now except for the parts I wanted to keep for another project.
    I hope this shows that good replicas are not a bad thing and can help with original cars as well.

24. fibreglass

fibreglass Rookie

Sep 30, 2011
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #74 fibreglass, Oct 15, 2011
    Well this is the lastest idea for a 246 replica.
    This will give it the performance and sound that it deserves.
    Just got to find the time to do it now.
    For anyone that says oh no breaking another Ferrari to build a replica I have attached a picture of the front, it isn't worth repairing.

25. GT steve

GT steve Karting

Dec 13, 2009
    Livermore, Calif.
    Full Name:
    Steve
    #75 GT steve, Oct 16, 2011
    Thought you guys might like to see another Dino replica. I purchased this car from Australia. Don't know any of the history behind the car but the last owner was planning to use the car in off-road rallies. The car came with all 246 running gear, oval tube frame that looks exactly like the original, fuel tanks and engine/transmission along with assorted trim. I purchased it for my GT that was missing the engine/trans. It would make a very convincing replica! The molds for the body are off an original car complete with euro side markers.