Digital recreation of Ferrari California 250GT SWB | FerrariChat

Digital recreation of Ferrari California 250GT SWB

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by telespial, Dec 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. telespial

telespial Rookie

Apr 20, 2015
    Burbank, Ca
    Full Name:
    Richard H
    #1 telespial, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am in the process of digitally recreating the entire frame, tub chassis and body of the 1961 Ferrari California. I have gathered lots of material online and from other various sources. This blog is my attempt to document the process and share information with others.

What I really need is some accurate chassis blueprints of the frame or at least the basic frame dimensions. We have been unable to find the height dimensions (side profile) of the main tubes. We are close but would love some exact dimensions if they exist somewhere. Any help will be appreciated and results shared on this thread as we progress.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Irrc oval tubes 80mm

3. telespial

telespial Rookie

Apr 20, 2015
    Burbank, Ca
    Full Name:
    Richard H
    76.3mm oval and 55mm round is what we have from the drawings. That's basically 80mm since oval don't have any accurate tolerance references. It's confirming the dimensions for all the bends and distances that has been the problem. Gilco made the original 250GT frames in 1958 but the spacing is slightly different between mains and I have no idea what the actual heights are. Photos have gotten us close but not where we want to be.

There must be some accurate measurements floating around somewhere out there.

4. telespial

telespial Rookie

Apr 20, 2015
    Burbank, Ca
    Full Name:
    Richard H
    #4 telespial, Dec 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The key to any successful 3D model is starting with accurate measurements. These are the basic design dimensions that I first must confirm for the 1961 California SWB. There is no point in going further until I can be sure this is correct. If anyone has access to some of the original dimensions/drawing, I would be happy to provide you a copy of the digital versions when they are completed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. telespial

telespial Rookie

Apr 20, 2015
    Burbank, Ca
    Full Name:
    Richard H
    Here is an update to the progress I have made with the 250GT frame. I now have all the factory original blueprints.

Attached Files:

gt4me and JL350 like this.
  6. telespial

telespial Rookie

Apr 20, 2015
    Burbank, Ca
    Full Name:
    Richard H
    The 250TR has 80mm main tubes.

250GT and 330GTE/C use 3” tube squished oval to 55mm x 72mm as per the factory drawings which I have now.

JL350 likes this.
  7. telespial

telespial Rookie

Apr 20, 2015
    Burbank, Ca
    Full Name:
    Richard H
    Typo correction: the oval is 55mm x 92mm

8. RUNALE

RUNALE Rookie

Aug 14, 2022
    Full Name:
    Alessandro Runco
    Hi, could you post more info on the blueprints? Are they complete in terms of dimensions?