Digicam : EOS350 vs Nikon D70/D70S | FerrariChat

Digicam : EOS350 vs Nikon D70/D70S

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by amenasce, Jun 18, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Which one to get for track shots and static shots ?

2. ETW

ETW Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MA
    Canon all the way

3. justhrowit

justhrowit Formula 3

Feb 12, 2004
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Jay D.
    I have a canon Power shot S70 and can't speak enough about it. I know others who have canons as wel and they say the same thing. Great cameras. Can't go wrong with a canon. However....I've heard the same thing about Nikon. Either one would be a winner.

J

4. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    The D70 still uses a CCD which creates a very noisy picture at anything over ISO 200. The CMOS censor in the Rebel is about as grainy as ISO 1600 as the D70 is at ISO 400 .. Rebel all the way.

The only reason the D70 "beat" the original 300D was because of the 300Ds slowness ... slow card write time, slow review time, slow start-up time. Picture quality was always better on the Rebel. The new 350 has address all the speed concerns, bumped the pixel count up to 8 megs, and is 25% smaller and 10% lighter than before.

Really, this is a no-brainer.

Bill in Brooklyn
    Sample Pic from a 300D with a cheapo $75 lens
    http://www.pbase.com/bill_in_brooklyn/image/44823170/original

5. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    #5 F40, Jun 19, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Amenasce, I hope you don't mind me stealing your thread a bit. But I didn't want to start a new thread.

EOS 350 vs 20D?

7. caps8419

caps8419 Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    michael
    for quick shots the canon is better. For static nikkor optics are better than canon's. I have a d70 and use it for still automotive photography. I've a/b's the canon and nikon and find the canon to only be better when blown up because of the extra 2 million pixels. The noise doesn't concern me I only shoot at 200. I'd stick to nikon because the canon optics are blah.

-Mike

8. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    Depends on if you need what the 20D has to offer. If you're shooting sports or anything moving quickly, the 5 frames-per-second shooting speed will be more than a little welcome. If you shoot a lot in manual mode (where you independently control both aperature and shutter speed), the extra dial on the back will help reduce shot time.

If 95% of what you are shooting is vacations and portraits/landscapes, there's nothing the 20D has to offer that you can't do without. Both cameras produce extremely high quality photos at ~8 megapixels and have instantaneos startup times, good write times to the card, and very fast playback of images. The both have the same crop factor, and both are well made.

The real difference is the custom functions of the 20D, the incredibly small size of the XT, mirror locker on the 20D, 5fps vs 3fps, and a few hundred dollars in price.

Bill in Brooklyn

9. Billy10mm

Billy10mm Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Westchester
    Full Name:
    Billy Ng
    A few things. First, Nikkor optics are more $$ for comparable features, and don't have as many options on the long end of the range. As far as Canon's optics being "blah" ... I'm very glad you have your opinion, but its yours. Check the sidelines at any sports event lately or the color of the lenses at any press event ... see a lot of white don't you? Not many pros I know chose "blah" optics yet Canon trounces Nikon by a ridiculous margin in the pro sales arena. You sound like one of those DPReview D70 forum members who need to justify the additional $$ you spent on your entry level DSLR.

And as far as you "only shooting at ISO 200" ... wow, how do you manage that? In the real world, where I shoot, sometimes there isn't a lot of light around ... like indoors, or at night. Does the sun just follow you everywhere? Sometimes you need ISO 400, 800, or 1600 ... and in that regard the noise on the D70 is horrible.

Bill in Brooklyn