Difficult Experience with Denver Classic Car Dealer | FerrariChat

Difficult Experience with Denver Classic Car Dealer

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain' started by rbouch8828, Oct 8, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rbouch8828

rbouch8828 Rookie

Oct 8, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Roland Boucher
    #1 rbouch8828, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    Just wanted to post a cautionary note for all of you Ferrari owners and traders for a Denver dealer who's prime focus was Ferrari's in his foundations. My experience was with the purchase of a 1970 Mercedes 280SL, but if it is typical, I would worry about anything that he would sell.

For the full tale of horrors please take a look at the details I have posted at: www.classicinvestments-is-a-ripoff.com

2. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    I was going to go look at a car they had for sale and for fun googled them.... lets just say after that I cancelled my appointment.

3. TRScotty

TRScotty F1 Rookie
    Owner

Oct 12, 2006
    Tyler, Texas
    Full Name:
    Scotty
    Welcome to Ferrarichat.com.

Sorry to hear of your troubles, but if you didn't see the car in person before writing the check, and relied on your mechanic to alert you to any potential issues, you're sadly just SOL.

Your story reads less like having become a victim of an unscrupulous dealer (I mean what dealer doesn't say their cars are great?) than that of an ignorant or incompetent mechanic.
    If you had the mechanic repair the car prior to shipping it to you, it should be right.

If you still had any doubts, the ball was in your court as to whether or not to pursue the transaction.
    I think you'll be hard-pressed to curry much sympathy here, but I perform due-diligence on behalf of my clients every day.
    Trust me, if I f*ck up a report, it's my ass on the line...

IMHO, your real beef should be with the shop/mechanic you had perform the PPI and any pre-purchase repairs.

4. rbouch8828

rbouch8828 Rookie

Oct 8, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Roland Boucher
    I do agree that the Mechanic should have found the issues with the exhaust and the fuel pump/line. I am less inclined to fault him on the interior claim. They claimed the interior had been restored to original. The car as he saw it had a vinyl interior. Without having the original Mercedes datacard, and taking the dealer at his word. Who would say that it was restored to original and not actually do that? I think he just assumed that it originally had a vinyl interior.

Of all of the things that were on my list, that one is the costliest.

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    You didn't say what you paid for the car. Sounds like you ended paying #2 car prices for a #4 car if I read your issues versus the photo correctly. Given the rather wide spread of prices between the grades of this car, it could have been worse.

6. Pass

Pass F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 29, 2008
    Salida Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Passarelli
    I do pre-purchase inspections in this area since moving to Colorado and I specialize in pre 1971 Mercedes exclusively. Mark Passarelli