Did I make a mistake ordering the Roma? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Did I make a mistake ordering the Roma?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by wings, Feb 1, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I mean I got a FF too and if you find it build with quality then I’m going to struggle to agree. Some buttons are very poorly made on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aepma likes this.
  2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    My wife's Porsche has the same type alarm, but you can either shut it off or set the alarm for 190 mph (maybe higher, I'm not sure). I don't know if this ability is available in the Roma, but I would think it is available.

RamsHmb likes this.
  3. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Have a GTS , portofino and Roma currently ...owned a number of recent 12 s and 8’s and while I agree on some points I whole heartedly disagree on others. Personally, I think it’s the best sounding 8 since the 458 and imho sounds better than the f8. I also don’t think the overall cabin feels cheap...how about the plastic (at least feel like plastic) vents in the 812’s...the ones I had in my f12 and FF felt better and looked better. These models serve different purposes and yes the sense of occasion in the GTS is on a completely different level than the Roma, I will only drive the GTS occasionally and I will absolutely rack the miles on the porto and Roma. Ferrari is making more and more cars and costs have to come down but they still make the best 12 and 8 cylinder engines on the market. And remember, the old man said we get the car for free...you can’t get cheaper than free ;)

Mauimikel, aepma, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  4. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Tell me when you take the Roma and not the Portofino and when you reach for the GTS?

To the OP, it’s about feel and how you feel when you drive the car. I have an F12 and am looking to swap to a 812 while waiting for my GTS. I daily any and all of my cars including my F8. What does it do for you? Doesn’t matter what others think. If your post is suggesting it doesn’t do what you thought it might then keep,the F12 which is far more raw, or go 812 like,others have suggested. There are enough around to drive all of the above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Avia11 likes this.
  5. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Whatever happened to "if you don't have anything nice to say ..." Your right. We should NOT allow opposing point of views on this Ferrari web site.
    Only glowing praise for the Prancing Horse should be tolerated!

6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The Roma at $150k to $175K makes sense, that's all its worth to me. At $250K+ it is way over priced for a Jag and Aston look a like. No way I would trade an F12 for it.

rocketman, ryalex and Cali T HS like this.
  7. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
    Roma if u want to.

JHNurse likes this.
  8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Roma around the world!

JHNurse likes this.
  9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    in 80 days? :)

RamsHmb and ryalex like this.
  10. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    I think the problem is that Ferrari knows that there are a substantial number of people that just want whatever the latest thing is that they manufacture because of their brand recognition (especially when it is available for anyone to order ).
    Many don't scrutinize it and just figure it's a NEW Ferrari so it must be the "latest and greatest".
    I appreciate and respect that many folks like this car and will order it but personally, after driving it myself, there literally wasn't anything about the Roma that impressed me.

Il Co-Pilota likes this.
  11. aepma

aepma Rookie

Jul 24, 2013
    Europe
    Or maybe ... some people have been waiting for a modern ferrari GT with luxury feel? And the 812 is too expensive and too powerful and not that comfortable or practical for everyday use? And the Porto is not sophisticated looking enough and not sufficiently passionate?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

vcappp and Cool Runnin' like this.
  12. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    IMO the F12, 812SF, and 812GTS are very comfortable and practical for every day use

wrs likes this.
  13. aepma

aepma Rookie

Jul 24, 2013
    Europe
  14. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Lol. I wouldn't rely on the "professional" reviews. Just go drive the car. These reviewers aren't the most reliable.

wrs likes this.
  15. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    The 812 is very luxurious, very spacious and drives like a race car if you want it to. The 812 is not in the price range of the Roma or Portofino because you get a whole lot more for the money. It's absolutely the best Ferrari I have owned yet. It's a DD if you want it to be, just be careful parking. I have the lift which helps with driveways and the rear wheel steering makes cornering at high speed a lot easier to manage. I can control the rear end pretty well now after 2600 miles logged.

That being said, I don't think the Roma is a lower cost version of the 812 in any respect.

of2worlds likes this.
  16. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    My view is if you're going to plunk down 300 cannolis, you should get precisely what you want for that bread. I noticed, though, that some of the things you said didn't occur to me. I thought the side mirrors, center console, and touchpad were responsive. I consider myself pretty picky when it comes to digital screens.

As for the rear seats, did you plan to have folks back there? It could be a non-issue for the busyness of the ergonomics of the car, which usually subsidies with familiarity.

The only thing I can genuinely relate to from your critique is not liking the Ipadesque design language that every car manufacturer loves to use. To this day, I never wanted the Ipad stuck on the center console of any car design; I much rather have something integrated or at least eye level. Yet every vehicle has a tablet glued on the console nowadays.

vcappp likes this.
  17. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    #42 wings, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2021

Thanks for the comments. Seems like the car was designed for the younger crowd who live in the world of Tech like Ipads, digital display, touch screens, etc. I am not young but own an Ipad and have a new C8 Corvette which has a killer bunch of great tech and it all works. Does more than the Roma in fact. I have always had Ferrari V12 engines starting with the 275 GTB4 so a Turbo V6 is not quite as exciting although it did run pretty good when I test drove it. I have a F12 now and cannot make up my mind as to whether I should keep it or not. I think it is just a matter of time when the V12 will be just a memory. Still not sure about the Roma.

paulchua likes this.
  18. wings

wings Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Meant to say V8. Could not edit for some reason.

paulchua likes this.
  19. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Thanks for your response. I think you should get exactly what you want. If you have any doubts, trust your heart. Perhaps you can switch to the 812 as others have suggested?

Best wishes and I look forward to hearing about what you choose and reading further about your thoughts.

Cheers

of2worlds likes this.