Did Fox Whore Out The Petite LeMans TV Coverage | FerrariChat

Did Fox Whore Out The Petite LeMans TV Coverage

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by David Lind, Oct 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Fox Sports showed prototypes for the first 1/2 lap of today's Petite Le Mans from Road Atlanta. The next time a prototype appeared on screen was TWELVE MINUTES later ... and that was only for another 30 seconds. Bear in mind that as of now, 25 minutes into the race, they have shown prototypes racing for a total of about 1.25 minutes ... out of a 1 hr show!
    What the devil is going on here? Are they only showing road cars so they can sell advertising time to Chevrolet, BMW, Porsche, Audi, etc? Do Patron, Visit Florida, etc. not spend enough on Fox Sports? If so, this is akin to NASCAR digitally removing car sponsors from the vehicles shown on screen during the Daytona 500 about 8 or so years ago. Are they purely ad whores?
    I'm fed up and going to work on my Mondial!

2. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I didn't get to see the race but the racing in GTLM has been amazing this year. Changes in the P category soon probably aren't helping either.

3. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    By "whore out" the coverage, do you mean show the first 45 minutes or so, drop off the air for a couple of hours, show another couple of hours a bit later on another channel, and then go off the air and refuse to air the final three hours?

If so, then yes.

Yes they did.

4. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    From what I read on their Facebook page the Fox Sports app was more or less non-working for most of the race as well. I didn't even watch the race after learning that they weren't even showing the ending on TV. The season finale with championships on the line and they don't even show it on television. That's lowest of the low as far as Fox Sports coverage of this series goes.

I lost count of how many times races during the closing parts of the season were randomly cut into by UFC fighting for 30-60 minutes as well.

I pay extra on my cable plan to have the required channels to watch racing and they don't even bother showing the race. This is a problem I will no longer have because I'm cancelling it all and just not bothering. I'm so over the amount of hoops I have to jump through to watch racing in this country. I'll watch what I can on Youtube and not bother with the rest.

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Tonight, 3 hours of highlights on Fox Sports 1, from 7 to 10 PM Eastern time.

6. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Agreed with all the above. IMSA/Fox certainly don't make it easy to watch a race. That being said I was able to watch almost all of the race uninterrupted on Fox Sports Go, switching to their FS1 or FS2 when those channels picked it up. So to recap: it took a combination of FS1, FS2, and FS Go just to watch the damn race.

7. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Live streaming isn't worth **** when you're traveling, can't watch live, and are trying to TiVo the race to watch when you get home. I know, pre TiVo I couldn't have done that anyway...

I tried the Fox Sports app at one point in the afternoon.

Step one, download app.

Step two, try to find live coverage icon and select.

Step three, say out loud "what the *** does cable provider authentication mean?"

Step four, attempt to create a Bright House Networks My Services account....

Step twenty three, sit there seething and spitting nails as the thing you just wasted half an hour to get up and running pauses, freezes, stutters...

8. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Step twenty four......shoot the damn TV !! :D

9. ....step 479...remember when there was no coverage 'til Road & Track hit the stands 2-3 months later..... ;)

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    My goodness gracious fellow F-Chat posters, there seems to be an awful lot of venom and
    negativity directed towards FOX here lately!

We're supposed to be surprised that a fine upstanding entity like FOX would make a mockery
    of sports car racing?

Imagine what would happen if they covered the NFL or NASCAR like this.

BHW

11. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Thanks, Barton; a good chuckle with which to start the day!

12. Revenue dictates, as usual. ;)

13. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer

Yep...that and National Speed Sport News or Competition Press.

14. Yup. Was shown "Competition Press and Autoweek" by a slot car racing buddy in '68...'subscribed immediately. I was in heaven. Every Thursday evening I spent some time in the bathtub, reading my latest arrival cover to cover, all the previous weekends stuff 4 days later....not months. ;)