DFW O/T: Share Your Favorite Restaurants | Page 6 | FerrariChat

DFW O/T: Share Your Favorite Restaurants

Discussion in 'Texas' started by jimpo1, Dec 3, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Urban Crust Pizza in downtown Plano not bad for a quick bite. Good time of the year to sit on the outdoor balcony on the 3rd floor.

2. TexasRossa

TexasRossa Rookie

Aug 9, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I like La Calle Doce. They have 2 locations, one off 12th street in Oak Cliff, which is in an old house. The other is off Skillman just prior to the Live Oak intersection in Lakewood. It's Mexican seafood and is awesome!

3. Sushimon355

Sushimon355 Formula Junior

May 27, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Wade
    hey Jim, what kind of food do you want? you were looking quite svelte last weekend so not sure you'll want to indulge but I'll reiterate one of my recommendations from above - Boulevardier...was just there and food is still fantastic. also, give Gemma a try...very tasty but you've gotta make a res way ahead of time or show up very early to eat at the bar.

4. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I was quite happy with Dean Fearing's.

Jeff

5. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Stampede 66 - Uptown near AA Center - Texan fare with uptown flair.

Cafe Izmir - Lower Greenville - Tapas - family owned

Cafe Jorge - DT Plano - German

Insta Lunch anyone?

S

6. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    That's only because you haven't been to Stephan Pyles or The French Room yet... LoL

S

7. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    I know he is popular, but I've been to Stephan Pyles restaurants a couple of times and have never been impressed. The last time, the wait staff was inattentive on a slow night, and the kitchen staff did not seem to be trying live up to the reputation, so no more. May give him another chance sometime, but for now, there are a lot of good places trying hard to become successful. I just hope the good ones don't get ruined by success.

Also, does anyone know of a good Itailian place that makes their own pasta and Bolognese sauce?

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Some of my favorite new places in Ft. Worth.

Social House - Currie St in S07
    The Wild Mushroom - Ridglea
    The BBQ Ranch - West of Lake Worth off Loop 820
    Billy Oak Acres BBQ - West of Lake Worth off Loop 820
    Pho District - West 7th
    Cane Rosso - Magnolia
    Twin Peaks - South Loop 820 near the Chisholm Trail Parkway

9. sct4a

sct4a F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2008
    Couple recent ones I've been to that were pretty good for dallas.

Gemma
    Proof and Pantry

10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Best "hole in the wall" joint I've been to recently is Secret Recipe in Carrollton. Huge menu and lots of items to try that I have not seen elsewhere in the Metroplex....T

11. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Bumping because I finally tried Slow Bone today. It may be my new favorite "overall" BBQ place. I like the brisket at 10 Fifty in Richardson better, and prefer the ribs at The Feed Store in Southlake, but Slow Bone is probably my 2nd choice for each. They make good sausage too!

Go if you haven't been!

Also tried an Off Site Kitchen burger a couple of weeks ago. It's in Trinity Groves and has quite the following. Good burger if you like them charred (I don't). Lots of other cool stuff like home made soft drinks. Is worth a try because I'm on the lookout for a great burger.

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I love hole in the wall Mexican joints, which is a good thing because DFW is blessed with a ton. One of my favorite places to take out of towners is El Taco H.

http://www.eltacoh.com

Another recommendation is, I think, pretty famous. Fuel City Tacos. Best gas station tacos in Texas! Elotes (niblet corn in a cup with spices) are fabulous.

A tad more upscale, we went to this place recently with friends, Malai Kitchen in Southlake. Very good. Thai style chicken wings are a great appy. Best green papaya salad that I've had outside the Hawaiian islands.

BTW, has anyone been to the Taverna Rossa in Park Villages, Southlake?

T

13. Chewys5

Chewys5 Formula 3
    Miami 2018 Owner

May 17, 2010
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn R
    Italian. Il Cabarese
    Different. Classic cafe
    Bloody Mary's. Chefs point
    Drinks. Rob's
    Pizza. Campisis
    Burgers. K pops
    Mexican. Elanas

More to come.

14. f1_nix

f1_nix Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Ft. Worth, TX
    Three in Fort Worth

1) Melt Ice Cream on Rosedale
    2) Burgundy Local (grass fed hamburgers - Fri, Sat, Sun only) also a meat market
    3) Le Cep - upscale modern French food, need reservation and a jacket. Not the place to go if you are in a hurry but a great place for food and friends

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    #140 tomc, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016

Yes on #2!! They were a nice little secret when Burgundy was only in Grandview. In addition to the good burgers and meats, they have the best looking tomatoes for sale. You can also usually find less common cuts like hangar steak there.

Another good place to get meat is Rudolph's down in Deep Ellum.

Speaking of Fort Worth, I'd add Shinjuku Station to the mix, and Keichii up in Denton. Both are good Japanese food IMO.

T

16. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I like 10-50 as well. Heard Larry Lavine had an issue with one of the partners, and has left the group. He has had the golden touch on restaurant / bars since he owned the Studio Club in Preston Center in the late 60's.

Have you tried Slo' Bone's sister ship, Maple and Motor Burgers? This was Jack's first restaurant, and he made it onto Diner's Drive In's and Dives show years ago. Small but good.

I agree on Offsite kitchen. Good, not great. Grub Burger at Greenville Ave and University is a good upscale burger joint. Our office group has put Fudrucker's back into the rotation. The meat is better than HopDotty's and a lot of other high doller burger in our opinion.

The burger at Knife, in the Hotel at Mockingbird and 75 is really good, as well as the award winning burger at The Grape, on Greenville Ave. Only on Sunday and Mondays for the Grape Burger.

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Glad to hear the Grape burger lived up to the hype.

Speaking of BBQ, apart from the usual suspects like Pecan Lodge & Lockhart Smokehouse, I would add Longoria's in southern Fort Worth. Wife and I shared a three meat plate, and all three items were good - brisket, pork ribs and especially sausage. I think the latter is in the running for best on the Metroplex...T

18. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Alert: new Snuffers in Richardson!!! It's a very big deal for me, is my favorite hamburger and it's right by my house. It's in the old Lubys building on Campbell at 75. That space is now 3 restaurants and includes Torchys Tacos and Tokyo Joes. Snuffers opened yesterday, I ate there tonight. :)

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Is it as good as the original (I'm assuming it's the original) on Greenville? Best green chile cheeseburger I've had outside of New Mexico...T

20. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    No. :( It's still Snuffers, but it isn't broken in yet.

21. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I never thought the meat at Snuffers was anything special. Our office group goes to the old/new location on Greenville, and the spicy tenders are our most popular order.

You do have to start out with a large cheese fries with fixin's on the side. Still the best out there.

Shady's is coming to Lake Highlands near my son's house. El Shady time for me.

22. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Bacon and Blue Cheese Burger at Dutch's near TCU is best I've had in DFW...T

23. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Tripped across this place last week, went twice. Good fast Japanese food. Appears to be locally owned, 3 locations. I went to the one at Royal and MacArthur. Try the Wow bowl. It's even car themed! :)

FAST FURIOUS :: Japanese Grill