Detailing - Wanting To Get Up To Date | FerrariChat

Detailing - Wanting To Get Up To Date

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by alfaron, Jul 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alfaron

alfaron Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    I have owned a red/black 1983 308 GTS QV (euro) 46417 for 21 years. I have searched the detailing forum in an effort to find the best option(s) for a DIY Job. Fifteen years ago I used Zaino Brothers’ products on the 308 and my old Alfas and although I remember that it was quite an effort the results at the time were impressive. I know very little about ceramic coatings and I would expect to use a professional if I would elect that route. Does anyone use Zaino? What are the best options other than a professional applying a ceramic coating?

Also, for the leather care I used Leatherique. Any better product available now?
    Thanks in advance to anyone cares to respond.

2. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I would like to know answers to this, too. I have a new-to-me 360 and it could use a good polish and wax. Why the need for ceramic coating? My car will spend maybe 20 hours a year out of the garage. I could come more seeing the value of the ceramic on a nice driver, where it is out in the sun daily, and in all kinds of weather.

For a Ferrari, what's wrong with a good Meguiars show polish, and then something like NuFinish to give it some protection? Is it better to apply all of this by hand, or with a buffer?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    One thing I have used for leather care is hand lotion. Your seats are skin and need moisture just like your own skin. A couple of times per year, I will liberally apply hand lotion to the seats in my cars and leave it over night. Usually the next morning, the leather has absorbed most of the lotion, and I just wipe off whatever lotion remains.

4. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    Nothing will make your paint appear better than a good polishing. Has your 308 been re-sprayed with clear coat? You could most certainly ceramic coat your own car. Kamikaze ISM 1.0 would be an excellent choice. It’s easy to work with and not only safe on plastic trim, but will enhance its looks.

Leatherique has stood the test of time as a fantastic leather conditioner! No need to change anything there if you have it on hand. I like the Polish Angel leather care products too.

5. 020147

020147 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2006
    Midwest
    I have a good friend that has a G63 as a toy. For years he’s been a devout polymer sealant user. When the G63 came along I finally convinced him to ceramic coat the vehicle. We used Gyeon Syncro. Over a year later it still looks great and washes off very easily. And that is where I respectfully think you’re missing the benefit of ceramic coating. It lasts much longer. A good coating will allow you to basically pressure was the vehicle removing bugs, tree sap etc. That’s a bonus I’ll take for soft Ferrari paint all day long. The less I have to touch my paint, the less likely I am to scratch it. My new to me Nero 488 is in very nice condition, but there are a handful of areas that poor wash practices were visible. I’ve since polished those areas/defects out and will be applying ceramic as soon as the heats breaks a bit. For those inclined you could certainly apply wax over ceramic but IMO it’s unnecessary.

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Does the 308 have single stage paint, if so then you shouldn’t use a ceramic coating on it.

7. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Unless it’s been repainted at some point, the 308 is single stage. The first of my 348s was also single. I would be curious to know when Ferrari switched to base and clear.

8. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I have a car with single stage paint and did a lot of research and ceramic is not the way to go. The car has lacquer paint which likes a different type of sealer compared to an enamel paint. Fascinating subject. I did use ceramic on one of my cars and was very happy with how well it works. I did it about 4 years ago and will do a light polish and ceramic again sometime this winter.

9. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Enlighten us to which sealer you used on the single stage paint ..tia

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I’m not claiming to be an expert but I did some research and at least for the older GM factory lacquer paints they talk about the oils in the paint drying out. Here is one short article about this type of paint. I ended up using a liquid wax from Griot’s https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/best+of+show+wax.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn

Here is one of the many articles talking about some of these older paints.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2014/11/28/detailing-tips-for-vintage-single-stage-paint

Not sure how these paints compare to older Ferrari paints. There is lots of info about modern two stage paint but less info on the older paints.

flash32 likes this.