Democratic Candidates Forum on CNN | FerrariChat

Democratic Candidates Forum on CNN

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by JOEV, Nov 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Did anyone see this show (just ended at 8:30)? Really drove home to me why partisan politics is such a drag, i.e. no matter where you stand on different issues, by being a member of the x Party, you are co-opted into supporting things that you may very well be totally against.

Only alternative is to be an Independent, but of course, you'll never be President. So pragmatism or principles?

For example, a thinking person can surely be pro-equal rights but against affirmative action, pro-teacher but anti-union, for the war on terror but against being in Iraq etc.

Unfortunately it seems to me that if you're a member of a mainstream party, your opinions are pre-made and assumed. So what does it come down to? Your looks, charisma, likeability; all things that have nothing to do with your ability to lead a nation or a party.

Watching them all dance around the issues and offer up the same canned sound-bites just made the whole process look pointless.

No alternative I suppose.

Then again, this "problem" is faced by every democracy in the Western world (I think), so....perhaps it's the most workable option?