DeLorean restoration | Page 7 | FerrariChat

DeLorean restoration

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by shmark, Mar 30, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #151 shmark, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #152 shmark, Sep 28, 2012
  3. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #153 shmark, Sep 28, 2012
    We've put a new fuel accumulator on. *This is located inside the frame directly in the center of the car. *We will also be replacing the fuel distributor and the pressure regulator (cold start valve) so we'll have a new fuel system front to back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #154 shmark, Sep 28, 2012
    Our car was stored in a wet warehouse up north for many years and the factory coatings (some painted, others dipped) were peeling on the bottom side and allowing surface rust. *We chipped it off where it was cracking and steel brushed everything. *We then brush painted with por 15 grey and black. *It's a decent repair that will last for many years and our intent mainly was to "knock the ugly off it" and seal it up.

5. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #155 shmark, Sep 28, 2012
    The muffler was solid, just not much to look at. *It is somewhat visible from the rear so we cleaned it up and painted it with vht.

6. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #156 shmark, Sep 28, 2012
  7. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Good work. Every time I think about buying another DeLorean, I see the interior & change my mind. The late 70's / early 80's were not known for interior design.

8. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    fantastic work! :) ...and other great cars, 120/140xk and race prepped cougar! :)

9. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Wondering who would notice those. :)

The Cougar is a Gurney tribute car, very faithful to the real car and is an amazing machine. The Jag is an XK140 that just arrived and is going in for a full restoration. Might have to post pics of that one when it's underway.

10. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Been a while I know, but the DeLorean is ALIVE! After clearing a couple other projects from the shop, Steve was able to double down on the DMC and get it finished. There are a couple minor details to complete, but the car should be delivered within the next week or so. Here come a few updates.

11. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #161 shmark, Nov 17, 2012
  12. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #162 shmark, Nov 17, 2012
    I replaced all the fuel sysytem and got fuel to the intake but couldn't start or keep the car running without depressing the air flap. *Vacuum leak instantly comes to mind but it was actually a combination of the pop pipe seal (o ring) and the iac motor *stuck closed. *Most iac's (not sure what dmc calls it) are a pinter valve, spring setup but the dmc uses one that spins in a vacuum tube coming off the valve cover coupled with a cold start valve (gives it a shot of fuel) and provides a vacuum assist if you will to the lower intake. *Once I replaced the o ring, broke loose the iac with a pick and hosed the port in the parts washer and reinstalled it busted right off and held throttle response. *I had a hunch about this and was right, after wasting much time on the forums reading posts. *I even found one with the same issue (car that sat for decades like ours) but no answers... From there it was just a matter of drilling out the tamper proof plug on the mixture control and dialing in the new fuel distributor with an allen wrench.

13. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #163 shmark, Nov 17, 2012
  14. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #164 shmark, Nov 17, 2012
    So I know the powertrain works now on the lift but I want to make sure it will stop before I get too carried away. *No brake fluid at any caliper sent me to the master cylinder and wow, crystals in the reservoir like rock salt. *I've seen rust, mud, and dirt but never that. *I'm not sure what dot 4 in 1981 was made out of but I can tell you that brakekleen melts it eventually.

15. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #165 shmark, Nov 17, 2012
    After I took the master off and cleaned it, removed the tank and reinstalled and checked the plunger for pressure I moved on to the lines. *I cleared the splitters and steel lines one at a time with brakekleen followed by air pressure but had to give the rubber hoses an enema with welding wire. *I ran it back and forth like dental floss and then more brakekleen and air.

16. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    After I put all the brake parts back together I had fluid at all 4 and was now ready for my maiden voyage, a short few laps around the shop. *It went great and we are getting really close to finishing this project. *Check out the video on facebook at Fast Fine Classics, LLC. More to come soon!

17. jefffromcanada

jefffromcanada Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2006
    Alberta
    Keep up the good work!!

18. MNExotics

MNExotics F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 13, 2010
    Good Thunder
    Full Name: