Delivery mile 'used' cars | FerrariChat

Delivery mile 'used' cars

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by vinuneuro, Jun 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    #1 vinuneuro, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    What's behind cars like these? For one OEM dealer to unload a new car at an auction and for another to pick it up and list it as used for 15-20% off msrp + CPO. More shady Florida dealer practices or commonplace? This one is an Accord fwiw, not exactly hard to move, and not a Ferrari being flipped for $$.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    That's pretty odd. Was it in some kind of damage while on the lot? Like flood damage or hail damage? Might be easier to repair it and then ship elsewhere for resale if no one had a clue as to what happened.

There was a bad hail storm a couple months back in Birmingham that messed up a lot of new cars on the lot. The only reason I knew that is I happened to see a commercial of these dealers advertising these cars at big discounts. I would think repairing hail damage is pretty hard and flood damage is easier to cover up if the car's engine wasn't running.

3. leead1

leead1 F1 Rookie

Nov 29, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I think this gentleman is correct, damage goods some ware. One of our neighbors repaired hail damage at dealers lots. John traveled the country doing this . He worked 6 months than relaxed at home for 6 months.

Hard to know

Lee

4. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    More than likely lot damage.

US gov requires all new cars retailed direct to consumers that have suffered more than 3% in damage to have a disclosure signed. So on a 30k car 900 bucks in damage sets off the flag. So... it can be difficult to move. Maybe the truck delivering crunched the roof... maybe it fell off a ramp... who knows...

5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Agree. Sending a new car to auction is suspicious. I did a quick check and it appears there was a bad wind storm there on 1/23/17 and debris may have blown onto the vehicle:

1/23/2017 2:21 AM EST Radar Image for Severe Thunderstorms near Riviera Beach, FL at 1/23/2017 2:25 AM EST At 221 am est, severe thunderstorms were located along a line extending from near port of palm beach to palm springs to loxahatchee nwr, moving east at 45 mph (radar indicated). Hazards include 60 mph wind gusts. Expect damage to roofs, siding, and trees. locations impacted include, west palm beach, boynton beach, wellington, lake worth and riviera beach. A tornado watch remains in effect until 600 am est for southeastern florida.
    1/23/2017 1:33 AM EST Radar Image for Severe Thunderstorms near Riviera Beach, FL at 1/23/2017 1:36 AM EST At 133 am est, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado was located over north county airport, or near palm beach gardens, moving northeast at 45 mph (radar indicated rotation). Hazards include tornado. Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without shelter. mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. tree damage is likely. this dangerous storm will be near, west palm beach and palm beach gardens around 140 am est. jupiter, riviera beach, tequesta, juno beach, north palm beach, lake park and juno ridge around 145 am est. Other locations impacted by this tornadic thunderstorm include fau north campus.
    1/23/2017 1:17 AM EST Radar Image for Severe Thunderstorms near Riviera Beach, FL at 1/23/2017 1:22 AM EST At 117 am est, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado was located near lion country safari park, or 11 miles northwest of wellington, moving east at 45 mph (radar indicated rotation). Hazards include tornado. Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without shelter. mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. tree damage is likely. this dangerous storm will be near, palm beach gardens, royal palm beach and loxahatchee groves around 130 am est. west palm beach, the acreage and north county airport around 135 am est. jupiter, riviera beach, tequesta, juno beach, north palm beach, lake park, juno ridge and port of palm beach around 145 am est. Other locations impacted by this tornadic thunderstorm include lakeside green, mangonia park, fau north campus, cypress lakes and century village.

6. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Thanks for the explanations. They actually moved two cars, identical in spec, and both ended up at the same dealer. Bizarre and suspicious.

Is it possible to find out how much they sold for at auction?

1HGCR3F01HA019580
    1HGCR3F07HA019583

7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    I just googled the first VIN. The comments in this thread give new meaning to "clean CarFax" mentioned in dealer advertising. I also noted that they CPO'd the car which could give a buyer a slightly better deal if the CPO didn't jack up the price too much. For the buyer's sake, I hope the "repairs" hold up well over time. Wonder if the PA dealer disclosed the incident or is relying on a buyer not paying attention to the CarFax with all the green check marks.

8. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I'm not interested in either of those cars. Was just curious what they sold for at auction as it might give an idea of the extent of potential damage was. The too good to be true guideline is remarkably reliable.

9. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    just to be clear... none of us actually know if anything at all happened to those cars. Ever. We have supplied likely ideas of what may have happened... There honestly could have been virtually nothing wrong with them. Could have just been old age inventory and the cars were bringing more money at auction than they were retail. Believe it or not that happens. Try and buy a nissan GTR at auction and sell it on the street 100 bucks says you either get lucky or lose money