Deer Hunting 2009 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Deer Hunting 2009

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by SMS, Oct 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    That is quite a feat, shooting one with a bow this late in the season! Between all the deer being skittish, noctournal, killed off and otherwise vanised from their fall routes, plus it usually being too cold to draw a bow, you have really accomplished something.

I took advantage of the big snow Saturday and scouted hard for their wintering grounds. Recent logging changed some thing, so it was a good chance to plan ahead for next year.

2. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I had to track this bugger for about a mile. My angle of the kit barely missed the heart and hit the liver. I made the mistake of tracking it too soon since I thought it was a lung hit. Hit it about 30 yards. I finally recovered it the next day. I was tromping through heavy brush, briars and a bit of cussing here and there, but it all worked out. It was about 15 degrees out. While tracking, I think I found the entire network of trails these deer have. Found many beds and deer highways along the way. Next year I will know where to go..all though my original spot seemed to be perfect. I got a few more days and some more tags to fill. I have these church missionaries that want to come and visit and said they would love to help out and do things. So guess what...I am taking them up on the offer and they will be cutting up a deer while I laugh. Sort of looking for the end of deer season to end anyways..got lots of things I need to get done and started, but will be looking forward to next season too.

3. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Did I mention it was cooooold! I was shaking so bad when I pulled my bow back and I got the PSE Omen which the fastest on the market now...not really an easy bow to hold back for a while and doesn't allow alot of string creep like other bows.

4. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
  5. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Great to see that big buck made it thru the season. He should be incredible next year!

6. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #56 silvergts1998, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Oh I plan on getting him in 2010..this upcoming season! LOL! Forgot the turkey shot.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Great Job Adam - nice harvests - your family should be proud!

8. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #58 silvergts1998, Jan 18, 2010

Hey! hey! no first names! LOL! :) (Remember when doug called you your first name on here? I am still chuckling about it "Ernie").

I wish my other half liked the fact that I can support us through hunting when this economy heads to hell. I did good this season. You would think my freezer is full of deer meat but it's almost empty. I been giving it away to people who need it and then forget to keep some for myself. The last deer I shot with my bow was small, but I am keeping this baby for myself. Small but tender! lol! Here's a picture of it. I blacked out the eyes just incase someone recognizes it. My new winch finally came in handy while field dressing it.

Here's a amateur video of me shooting a turkey with my bow and also my 9 point deer. (Not blood or guts so it's wife friendly).

Turkey video:
    http://www.vimeo.com/8823467

One of my deers
    http://www.vimeo.com/8824796

My censored deer I got recently.

9. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Well Hung! - no pun

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    #60 rob lay, Jan 20, 2010
    Here's what I got back from the processor for my buck and friend dad's buck sans back straps which we kept. If I knew there would be that much meat I would have got more of the other stuff. That is a ton of venison hamburger!

11. Indy430

Indy430 Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    RJ
    Holy cow (or deer) that's a ton of meat! Did you have then make any hot Italian sausage? That's my personal favorite. That and summer sausage.....

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Most of the back two rows are the Venison Hamburger. Far right of the 2nd row is the jalapeno & cheddar summer sausage. L to R on 1st row is jalapeno & cheese sausage, hunter sticks, jerky, and tamales.

13. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    A neighbor was showing me some trail camera pics he shot the other night over a carcass. There were 5 typical coyotes working on it, then they backed away while two HUGE black coy/dogs moved in and took over. They looked about like wolves they were so much bigger than the rest of the pack. All black with silver tips on their sides and face. We've been hearing this pack for several weeks now, I'm about ready to spend the night out there and cull the pack. Possible this is why my deer herd vanished during late black powder season.

14. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    That's good amount of meat you have there. What I love about processing my own deer is that I have scrapes that I can save for my German Shepherd. She needs some more muscle growth and the deer scrapes are good for her.

I love Cheddar and Jalepeno!! Yummy! I want to try the sausage sometime.

15. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
  16. Indy430

Indy430 Karting

Dec 5, 2007
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    RJ
    Sounds like you just about have it covered Rob! The jalapeno cheddar sounds awesome. Never had that.

17. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    I bought a remote caller a year ago FoxPro - they carry at BassPro - they work great!

18. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    Yeah. they do! Don't have the picture on this computer but we took a 25lb bobcat with a foxpro last weekend using the titmouse call

19. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
  20. Street&Track

Street&Track Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Where did you tfind a Bobcat in the midwest, I have never seen one in the wild?

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    they are half way common where I've lived between Kansas and Texas. still cool and a big deal to see them though. lately more and more Mountain Lions have been shot here in Texas.