Deer Hunting 2009 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Deer Hunting 2009

Discussion in 'North Central - USA (MI, IN, OH, KY, WV)' started by SMS, Oct 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jon Hansen

Jon Hansen Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    The guy called me up today, saying he was lost and looking for county land etc, and got scared when we approached him so he ditched his stuff and ran.
    Strangely, he knew where the property lines were, and didn't ask for his bow and gear back. He tried to give me a razzle dazzle explanation of "some buddies grandma said the property line was" etc...
    I told him to expect a visit from the DNR and to contact me in writing in the future.
    There are two other property owners now willing to file trespassing complaints, and the local DNR officer is very interested in talking to me about this guy.
    It should be tomorrow.

2. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Moved from IN. 10 yrs. ago to hide and hunt in the woods of the UP. There are more deer in IN. than here in the north western UP----------------------NO JOKE!! Tom

3. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    #28 silvergts1998, Nov 17, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
    Edit...

4. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Is there supposed to be a nice deer picture in that post?

5. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Retired to the UP from IN. and have not seen horns yet (from the blind) in 10yrs. I guess we left the good deer hunting in IN. Plus side this year-------------- mid Nov. and still driving the 308 every chance-----------no snow and still hitting 50 plus degrees!
    Great place to live but not so for deer hunting anymore!!! TJ

6. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Not yet

7. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Oops
    Subscription ran out, so I have to show you my photos this way.
    No buck shots, (I saw two 8 pointers this weekend, but let them walk for a bigger one) but I did get some real good photos of some yearlings that were hanging around me.

http://www.midwestscc.com/topics/1337/deer-photos

8. konatown

konatown F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2009
    Evansville, IN
    Full Name:
    Kyle Swickard
    #33 konatown, Nov 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. Jon Hansen

Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    #34 Jon Hansen, Dec 9, 2009
    This monster buck could be a new world record. I was told it was taken in Southern Ohio. It is supposed to be near 320 inches. The hunter found sheds last year, and they were 260inches.
    It looks like he used a crossbow.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Is that a farm raised deer? A friend of mine told me he paid $4K to go hunting for deer in OH. He killed a huge buck and later told me that the deer are fenced in a 200 acre farm where they can't get out. So it was like hunting at a zoo.

11. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Hmmmm....

I'm a skeptic. The guy does not look happy enough to have just killed a world record.

Name? Details? Is North American Whitetail on this case?

12. Jon Hansen

Silver Subscribed

Feb 6, 2007
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Full Name:
    Jon Hansen
    I have no other details than what I posted. The picture was simply forwarded from person to person to person etc...
    Sooner or later we will find out more details. This has to be a cover story for some magazine.

13. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
  14. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I have been hunting on my Brother In Laws Farm down in marcellus and I have only seen 2 bucks one 6 point on the first day of gun season that I let go and another buck with desent rack that was 1) to far away and 2) not on my side of the property line by 100 yards.

I did manage to kill a damn button and as agrivated as I was he still tastes good I shot the biggest one without antleers and I got burned by my inexperience my first year hunting deer.

It was about 150 yard shot with muzzle loader he sure looked bigger from my blind!

15. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Still passing up small and mid size bucks. I was hoping for a magazine buck this year, but just about out of chances. Only ssssserious buck I have seen was in a no shot situation. Last Saturday I had deer all around my stand in the morning darkness, then after sunrise they were all gone and all I saw were turkeys.

Last chance muzzle loading this weekend. Might be time to shoot a doe for the freezer.

16. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    #41 Gershwin, Dec 17, 2009
  17. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    thank you for this post. just great photos

18. bundas

bundas F1 Veteran
    Owner

Dec 31, 2005
    lexington ky usa
    Full Name:
    mitchell barnes
    on bardstown rd at 6:00 for a viper club meet. the retired head of engine development will be there . a very small group. look for my 550 ferrari

19. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I am heading out to Doug's father in laws with my Muzzlerloader this weekend. Putting on a winch on my ATV as we speak. I have a new German Shepherd and she is taking up my time but love her! Such an awesome dog. It was a rescue dog about two or less years old we think. She is so obedient. Maybe I can train her to help track deer when I shoot them and no more of the blood trail searches! LOL!

Last weekend of Muzzlerloader. I got a Turkey with my bow at 22 yards. Love it! It was just as fun as shooting a deer!

20. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Gershwin, that camera shot is cool! Coyote needs to go though! Did he find a dead deer and just put a camera near it? After gun season I am seeing lots of deer but all late at night on my camera. Saw a 10 pointer.

21. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    Snowed here just enough to see tracks. Story telling from the pre trail camera era!
    I have coyote tracks all around my barn. Bet those chickens and goats sat tight last night!

There is a doe with yearling that comes to my house at 4pm nearly every day. Robin said just shoot that one, but I decided I would wade in freezing water, climb hills, freeze in a tree stand, and generally just abuse myself trying to kill one in the deep woods before I could shoot her "pet" doe. :)

I ended up getting skunked.

22. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam

Damn!

I had a few deer in my sites but let them go. I didn't feel like going through the effort of retrieving them unless it was a big one. Doug tried to play text messaging games with me while I was doing some serious hunting! LOL!

23. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    About one more week of Archery for Deer Season left. How sad is that, but it will get my mind off of hunting and getting other things done. Got a new camo suit I am going to try out when it warms up. I been in this weather for 5-8 hours in my Carhartt outfit and been warm in this 7 degree weather. Never saw anything but with warmer weather coming in I am hoping to stick a deer or so this week.

Here's a vid of this over priced scent lok vertigo suit. Quality on the suit is sub par but price is out of this world.

http://www.vimeo.com/8637141

24. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    #49 Gershwin, Jan 10, 2010
    - your starting to scare me w/ that invisible suit.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. silvergts1998

silvergts1998 Formula 3

Apr 10, 2005
    ky
    Full Name:
    Adam
    The new suit worked great today. Shot a deer with my bow coming up a steep hill looking at me. The suit really blends you well with the skyline.