Decisions decisions.... | FerrariChat

Decisions decisions....

Discussion in '612/599' started by spirot, Jan 25, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    So I'm caught... a great 458 has come up for sale... that I love, I've driven this car on road and track.. .its amazing. previous owner rarely drove the car... I'm caught between the love of the 458 look... and the massive v-12 of the 599.... I wish i could just add the 458 to the garage... but that is not a financially stable decision... my wife would literally hit me with a cast iron pan!!!.... I know this forum is for 599 lovers - and I do really love the 599... just like I do the 458...thoughts?

dhari and Texas Forever like this.
  2. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    No way you should downgrade to a low-power V8 ;)
    I know I would be crucified for saying that in a 458 forum but we're in the 612/599 forum here so I may be safe...
    I had a 599, my plan was initially to replace it with an F12 but eventually I went for a 488, to get a brand new Ferrari - downgrading to a V8 was only possible because the turbochargers addressed the blatant (and painful, coming from a 599) lack of torque of the 458.
    I like the 488, it has some benefits compared to a relatively heavy front-engined V12; but I was so missing the V12 that eventually I had to add another one: the 488 is now complemented by a 550.

Zaza, RonH, brogenville and 1 other person like this.
  3. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I say stick with the 599.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind seeing your wife hit you with a cast iron pan! :D

4. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    V12, what else

You could buy 2 iron cast pans, so it could be 2:1 for you.
    ;)

Talk to her, what else would you do with the money.
    You will not loose soooo many $ the next years adding the 458.

Daniel

Potenza430 and Nospinzone like this.
  5. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    she wants a new Porsche .... I'm spoiled as it is...

6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I've owned a GTB and currently own a GTO and also an Italia and you all here will probably want to yell at me, but, Im going to say it anyway: I would take the Italia. Yes the 599 V12 engine is a masterpiece, but when I think about stand out Ferraris of the past 25 years, I don't think the 599 is one of them. Its still special, its still a Ferrari :) I think they really improved the car with the GTO. Keep in mind, I would take the 599 over just about anyone else's car, but against a stand out car like the 458, I would take the 458 Italia over a 599 GTB ever time. And aside from the sound, I think the 458 engine is actually more fun - or maybe I should say its the package of engine and gearbox- it just revs so freely and with such force. With the one caveat if you really are just so blinded by the V12- and who would blame you? As a whole, I think the 458 is a ground breaking, game changing, and one of the best looking Ferraris- ever. Thats all just my opinion. I also agree that the 458 likely won't depreciate very much going forward, and I doubt the 599 will depreciate too much either. But there is a break in the market between the older automated cars and the dual clutch based cars.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Go with the 599. Most wives think bigger is better. ;)

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Yes... I get that! in the end the price on the 458 is out of my comfort zone... the ,min I buy one the values will plummet....

9. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    If I had to gamble on the two for depreciation I would ALWAYS bet on the 599 holding value better. It has the edge by pure numbers. The 458 is made in such large numbers it will go the way of 308 and others before. The great examples will appreciate but the poor examples will pull the others to the floor. Sure, there is a time both will appreciate but that's really far off even for someone who plays the long game.

brogenville likes this.
  10. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The only things that could not be upgraded to early 599s were F1 related except maybe (not sure) the shock/body ECU, so you could easily make an HGTE 3 pedal with a little effort. Some dealers may still have partial HGTE upgrade kits in their inventory that they would be really happy to discount.

11. gstudent

gstudent Karting

Sep 12, 2006
    Westlake Village
    Full Name:
    Gene
    I own both a 599HGTE and a 458. Just two different cars. If I had to choose the 599 keeps the garage spot. Nothing replaces for me the V12 feel and raw power. On the other hand the canyon runs in the 458 are loads of fun as well.....

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    mine is HGTE upgraded...

13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Good for you - lucky man! 458's are just really holding their value ... The car I was looking at was from a friend of mine who just bought an 812 - so I know the trade in price but at the ask price today - just not willing to go there.... sadly my friend only put 300 miles on the car in 3 years... I've driven it about as much as he did. Had I known he was selling ... i would have jumped on the price he got... but anyway.....

Texas Forever likes this.