Deciding between Mercedes ML and Range Rover Sport for the wife | FerrariChat

Deciding between Mercedes ML and Range Rover Sport for the wife

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by CRG125, Oct 10, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Want to get your opinion on which SUV to get for the wife. Let me give you a little background on her current car. She has a 2011 X5 which she wasn't to fond when I bought it for her. She was coming out of an Escalade which she loved and wanted another one, however I was sick of the gas mileage. I heard great things of the New X5 3.5 turbo( powerful and fuel efficent) that I figure it would be a great car. Anyways 2 years later, the car has been in the shop three times in 2 months for an Engine Malfunction. Car looses power and then shuts off while driving. We are both fed up with the car and I am speaking to BMW about taking the car back. Either way I am getting rid of the car.

So this brings me to my next point, which SUV shall I get her? She really likes the Range Rover sport and the price is reasonable, however we both are a little skeptical about the reliability. We have a few friends that owned RR and have had ton of problems. Personally, I like the new 2013 ML 550(The wife is not fond of the looks), it may not be as luxurious as the RR sport, but I know Mercedes technology, motor and reliability is better.

We have looked at the Cayenne S( Really expensive compared to others) Infiniti OX56( too big), Lexus and Cadillac. She did look at the new GL and found it hideous. Her heart is really set on the Range Rover sport again I am concerned of the reliablity.

2. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    My RR Sport has had only one minor problem in four years. It has been very reliable.

I'm on my 3rd Range Rover now and the quality gets better with each model year. My last two have had the Jag engines. Much more reliable than the older BMW and original Rover motors.

3. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Thanks for the feedback.

4. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I have an ML Bluetec thats absolutely great. 2 years with 0 issues and great gas mileage. The torque on the car is crazy with the turbo diesel. When the lease is up next summer I'm in for another MB diesel. Great truck..

5. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    My personal car is the new 2012 CLS 550 and prior to that I had the old shape. I feel that Mercedes quality has improved quite a bit in the last few years. Mechanically I have never had any issues with Mercedes. Even their service has improved.

6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
  7. speedy

speedy Formula Junior

Oct 18, 2005
    Plano, TX
    Full Name:
    James Gardner

I think you have your answer already.

FWIW, I'm on my 2nd Rover and my current one also has the Jag engine. I love it.

8. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    I dont feel this whole movement towards women and suvs is very good. I think she should settle for a car. Save you money and whoevers paying for gas.

9. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    I agree with you 100 percent. Initially I recommended that she get a car, but for some reason she loves driving an SUV. Right now I can lease an S class for about the same price.

10. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Happy wife, happy life.

11. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    As a full size RR SC owner, the RR. Period.

The ML, IMHO, has a shorter wheelbase and is more twitchy as a result with a relatively high CG. You cannot alter that.

Never been impressed, either, with the quality of the ML and have listened for YEARS of complaints about that by friends with them. Maybe they've improved, however.

Styling? Hands down, the RR, IMHO, also. But, that's subjective.

CW

12. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My parents just got a Porsche Cayenne S earlier in the year. They'd wanted one for a quite while, but similarly put it off because of the expense. However, they looked at a 2011 model that was formerly used by a Porsche Rep travelling between dealerships for 9 months, so it was just under a year old and had 10k miles. As part of the deal, the dealer gave it a full-duration warranty from the date they got it and my parents didn't have to pay for first year depreciation. Let's face it, 10k miles is virtually nothing to a car as well-engineered as a Porsche. So perhaps you could look at something similar if you're willing to wait a little bit for the right car to pop up. :)

The only problem they've had is that one day the battery gave up and the car wouldn't start. The dealer had to come out with a flat-bed truck to take it back for diagnosis and it turned out that Porsche had a bad batch of batteries that were fitted to new Cayennes 2011-2012 delivered in the United States and they've been trying to remember to replace them when the cars come in for annual service... they just happened to miss this one as it wasn't yet due a service before the sale. With that replaced and the annual service then done a little early, the car was delivered back home again later in the day, got back out on the road again, and my parents absolutely love it.

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    I can understand her reasoning, I bet she feels safer in one.

Have you looked at the Audi Q7?

14. gatorgreg

gatorgreg Formula 3

Dec 13, 2004
    NAPLES
    I have a 2012 Range Rover full size. Drove all the cars you mentioned before buying. If you want luxury in a full size vehicle, the RR is the way to go. The following was included in the purchase:

Complimentary Scheduled Maintenance
    For the duration of the 4yrs./50,000 mile new car factory warranty.
    Complimentary rental vehicle provided while vehicle is in service for the duration of manufacturer's warranty
    Dent Repair*

Removal for dents less than 2" in diameter using the paintless dent removal process
    The dents simply disappear
    Key Care*
    Replacement of your lost, stolen or broken keys
    Programming of your lost, stolen or broken keys
    Road Hazard Protection*
    Protection and replacement for tire and wheel road hazard
    Nitrofil© Tire Inflation
    Tire inflation and top-offs using Nitrogen for the lifetime of the original manufacturer's tires
    Customer Loyalty
    An additional $500 trade-in allowance if you purchase another vehicle from us; provided that all service and maintenance of your trade-in was completed at Land Rover Palm Beach
    Courtesy Vehicle Washing
    An exterior vehicle washing after vehicle servicing, or during regular business hours with appointment

I do nothing but put gas in the car for 4 years. No problems at all with the truck. This is my 5th range rover.

15. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    RR Sport versus M-B for everyday usability? Knowing you can get into the car every day, every morning, and the car will start and not have issues? M-B wins every time. You might have the occasional issue with the Mercedes that will be promptly and easily resolved. You know you will have issues with the Rover.

I would second the Bluetec ML. Aside from higher maintenance costs, the thing gets 27 mpg on the highway and pulls like a (diesel) freight train. Wife loves our 2011.

If the comparison for interior plushness was between the full-size RR and the ML it would be no contest, the RR has possibly the nicest interior of any sub-100k car. Not sure the Sport is the same though, even at that price point they might cut a few corners. Mercedes loves this stuff called MB Tex, which is a fake leather they use for nearly all their interiors. This 2011 was the first one of our five M-Bs in recent years to have it instead of leather, it looks nice but is not the same as real dead cows. Real leather is part of a pricy package for the ML if memory serves.

Another car to consider is the Audi Q7.

16. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    #16 VGM911, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
    When a question is floated about what to get the wife, I almost always recommend something Japanese. Generally, the reliability and quality of Japanese vehicles make them worthwhile choices for our wives. Think Lexus. Period. End of sentence.

17. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    She did, but didn't like the look of the car.

18. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    I have a 2000 ML55 that is my canine car. I would buy another one over a Range Rover.

19. photonut

photonut F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 16, 2007
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Joel
    i have owned/driven all the mentioned vehicles in this post.
    i personally prefer the porsche as well!

20. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have a full sized Range Rover and I have owned alot of SUV's from Porsche TT to the Lexus. My company just bought a 2013 Honda Pilot Touring and I have to say I see no reason anyone needs to spend anymore than what that thing cost unless you want the badge. It does everything anyone would want.

21. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Having owned a ML,GL,big Range Ruster, son has a RR Sport now, the choice is obvious.
    Get the Cayenne GTS.

22. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
    Looks like its going to be the RR sport. Now we need to decide on color.

23. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Make sure you have a great dealer, one of my best friends has a 2011 RR Sport and he gets to spend a ton of quality time at the dealer for warranty work. He thought the car was cool and powerful, but he could tell you all about the service manager's family and what they did on vacation with his frequent trips.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Because it truly is a slug.

25. mrcarlosspicey

mrcarlosspicey Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    Omaha
    Full Name:
    Parker
    My family has a 2010 Toyota sequioa, LOVE IT!!!! So luxurious for the sticker tag (nav, premium sound, heated front and rear seats, dual zone climate control, etc). Holds 7 or 8 (depending on if you want a center console which we got) and supposedly gets the turning radius of a camry. Bad part, it get about 11 MPG. Costs around $60,000 so its worth a shot. Much nicer than an escalade and about as nice a GL class.