Decided to add a 2017 Dodge Viper ACR | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Decided to add a 2017 Dodge Viper ACR

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Thecadster, May 24, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Uh...so about the fit. It’s super tight. Makes the Performante feel like an SUV. I am going to make it work, because I love the car, but I will probably invest in the seat lowering kits for both seats. The pedal box is wonky too, but I understand the pedals can be adjusted, so at some point I will play around with that. The car is so unique and is a perfect complement to my other cars.

2. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    The pedals move fore and aft with a switch on the steering wheel column.

I also was able to get more foot room by removing the dead pedal. Much much better.

Thecadster likes this.
  3. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Yeah...I am going to need to play around with the pedal box. It’s a super weird setup. It seems like it’s slanted to the left of the seating position, but that might just be because my 6’6” frame is pretzeled into the small seating compartment.

4. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    It is because the trans tunnel has to be so big with the location of the trans, all Vipers are like this. You will get used to it in time and it will become second nature.

Thecadster likes this.
  5. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Yeah, by the end of the second drive, I was already getting the hang of it. Initially though, it felt like I had 3 feet rather than 2.

6. jvmax

jvmax Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2006
    Orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks partly to this thread, I'm on the hunt for a Gen V Viper. Had a 96 GTS and 2005 convertible, I've always wondered how the Gen V drove and felt compared to the earlier versions. Did not know there were only 2200 gen v vipers made between 2013 and 2017.

Thecadster likes this.
  7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    They were horribly marketed and priced (regular cars, not the ACRs)....and all the fiascos with the media cars falling apart. But I hear nothing but good things about owning a Gen V.

Cadster....will be waiting anxiously for the results of Viper vs FGT showdown.....

Thecadster likes this.
  8. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    So I did my first legit back to back drive this evening. The cars could not possibly be more different. As a qualifier, I just embarked on a meticulous break-in of the Viper. Having only 19 miles when I got it, I am taking every logical precaution. These engines go boom at a more common rate than I care to think about. I am doing break-in exactly according to factory recommendations (see attached). That said, I put 80+ miles on the Viper this weekend, including 30 tonight. When I got back with the Viper tonight, I immediately departed with the FGT. Here are the basics:

1). The FGT cabin seems HUGE compared to the Viper. Impossible to overstate how cramped the Viper is. My knees go right into the dash. It’s a minor miracle I can reach the pedal box.

2). The Viper has a loud and brutish exhaust tone, but I find it kind of dull. The FGT with the whoosh of the supercharger has a much more melodic and interesting note.

3). I am still getting use to the transmission in the Viper. If I am honest, I feel like a kid again learning standard drive for the first time. Meanwhile, the FGT is easy, smooth, confidence inspiring, and provides a different level of certainty in the shift point.

4). Both cars feel super “racy”, but they develop the feeling differently. The FGT is lower to the ground, and the rear mid-engine set up contributes to a strong race car sensation. Meanwhile, the Viper is fully planted and super stiff. It feels like the aero would keep you from ever losing grip. Both feel tremendous.

5). The FGT steering is much faster. Both have good sensations at turn in, and both have significant grip, but once more, they accomplish those outcomes much differently.

6). I have not explored WOT in the Viper, but I think both cars will have similar thrust, which is to say both will be significantly slower than my other cars (812 and Performante), which is perfectly fine, as I never really explore those limits anyway. I don’t track my cars, I am I only drive on empty country roads. All of these cars go zero to jail in about 4.7 seconds, so that doesn’t really matter.

7). Both cars provide the feeling of driving American automotive history. Both represent throwback type cars, the FGT is literally a refined and modernized throwback, and the Viper is intentionally the unrefined bastard child of a modernized race car and an old school American muscle car.

8). Both cars get enthusiastic responses. Horns honk and engines rev when driving by. Everyone waves. Cars speed up or slow down to come up next to me for a better look and often a video.

9). Fit and finish seems superior in the FGT, although the Viper is decent too. The Viper has a huge back up camera, which is a welcome feature.

10). The Viper gets blazing hot on the inside after about 20 minutes. You almost have to turn the AC on at that point, and the AC is loud.

11). The FGT runs at about 205 degrees, and the Viper runs at about 190 degrees. Not sure what might account for that difference.

12). Both cars are in my “forever collection”.

I will update once I am through the break-in period. Of course, 500 miles for me might be about 3-4 months I’m afraid.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

ralfabco, Art138, Nativetroy and 7 others like this.
  9. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Nice write-up, thanks. I would say the answer to #11 might be an older cooling system with lost capacity. My car (with most of the coolant system now having been replaced, and everything else thoroughly gone through), runs cooler than yours. Now maybe, I have somewhat less desire for a Viper due to the interior room, pedal box, and heat into the interior.

Thecadster likes this.
  10. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    The coolant temp can be adjusted in the FGT with a tune. I have the Torrie tune which for Hot South Florida adjusts when the fans come on’. BTW the silver ACR raffle car which BJ had on the lot recently was my car.

Thecadster likes this.
  11. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Got another 50+ miles in this morning. Nothing says ‘Merica like blasting an loud, flamboyant, orange Viper around the backcountry roads of NC. I really love the car. Still in the tedious break in process, but despite being limited as such, it’s quite an event driving this car.

12. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    NürScud, JoeTSI, Tenney and 2 others like this.
  13. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    It’s occurred to me, that I did not double back to acknowledge the PPF job that my local installer did on the Viper. This is the 3rd time I have used Brian for a 100% PPF, and he did an exceptional job once more. The Viper is not easy, with the enormous hood, and all the vents and cut outs. He installed an Exoshield also, along with ceramic on all the PPF and the wheels. His QC is on point, and his pricing is super competitive. Additionally, he now offers pick up and delivery in a fully enclosed trailer. I did not need that service, but others might.

Brian Brown
    Exclusive Detail
    www.exclusivedetail.com
    [email protected]
    Phone: 704-525-5225
    IG: @exclusivedetail704

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB_S7FsBZuC/?igshid=pdt8qa1ogrmm

14. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    Love this thread! I had a Gen1 for 12 years before my 360, missed it when I traded it and always thought.....what was my ultimate Viper......Being a analog fan I thought a GenIV ACR would fit the build, so the hunt began, my favorite color combo was black on black, (after life with a few red sports cars), one with one red drivers stripe, (on the GenIV's the stripe ran through the steering wheel). It took a bit and then found it. It's a 1 of 36.......Good luck with your Viper! Love it! Would love to see our two go down the road together, how cool would that be :)

Attached Files:

Boomhauer, NürScud, Andynyc and 4 others like this.
  15. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Handsome rig you have there. It’s an iconic American sports/muscle car, that’s already a throwback to a completely different era. I love it.

espvh likes this.
  16. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Do you have to keep it chained up in your garage as well?

17. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    Absolutely!

Then, when I take it out, it's.............

Davesvt2000 likes this.
  18. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    I’ve put over 400 miles on the car since I purchased it. I could not be any happier. I’m finally nearing the end of the formal factory run in process (only had 18 miles on it when I acquired it). Once it hits 500 miles, I’ll swap fluids including diff, and then drive it like I stole it. In the meantime, I’m enjoying my romps, albeit somewhat subdued, around the backroads of NC.

ralfabco, Boomhauer, Zcobra1 and 7 others like this.
  19. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Looks like a good time

Thecadster likes this.
  20. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Here’s a cool video to remind us how special the Viper is. I am loving mine. Can’t hardly wait for spring.

Boomhauer, italiafan and espvh like this.
  21. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!

Agreed, here is one I like:

22. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    espvh, Boomhauer and Thecadster like this.
  23. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
  24. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    18 miles that's impressive, did Mark find any issues with it?

25. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    msdesignltd likes this.