News

Debating Crossfit...

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Walter Cervantes, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Walter Cervantes

Sep 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    Walter Cervantes
    So recently I got this wild idea that it would be an interesting challenge to try Crossfit. Half of me is saying go for it and the other half is like are you nuts? See I physcially have never been able to do high impact stuff, I have major problems with my wrists and I can't do a lot of moves. I am not sure if there are any modifications that will work for me. Also I have never been brave enough to darken the doors of a gym. I workout at home using YouTube videos and walking. I am still pretty big even though I have lost 30 pounds so I am not sure if Crossfit would be the right fit for me. I have really been wanting to challenge myself and see what my body is really capable of. I figured there would be plenty of people on here who have tried it and I would love to get your thoughts on it. Thanks for your help and time! I appreciate it!

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. topcarbon

topcarbon Formula 3

Nov 3, 2006
    CrossFit has a lot of high impact and movement that will affect your wrists. My guess is you will sign up, do it once, and realize something you already knew. There are a lot of great sports like swimming and cycling that will improve your fitness without impacting something that you have problems with.

AD211 likes this.
  4. Andynyc

Andynyc Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2017
    NY
    I love CrossFit. Given your post I would recommend you get a personal trainer that you do 1 on 1 CrossFit with. He/she can even go to your house to workout to begin with if that is more comfortable. And then progress to training in a gym with your trainer. And then to classes if you want. If you start with classes you run the risk of injuring yourself or not enjoying the class . If you can afford it, a personal trainer will be well worth it.

CrossFit also is great for your confidence- the workouts are tough but you will feel like a badass.

5. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Global Moderator Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Chris P. Bakon
  6. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    It used to be a real "cult" around here - now I don't know anyone that still does it. I never joined - talked to a local Physical Therapist who said they were seeing a bunch of injuries. Always thought the slogan should be "where women become men" ….

MDS

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. vraa

vraa Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    I've always been a fan of body weight exercises, movement exercises, and resistance band training - chance of injury is very low

9. Jaydubs

Jaydubs Rookie

Oct 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jon Wilkinson
    Crossfit is pretty high impact from what I've seen and people I've known that have done it. Lots of quick movements and less control of the weights and body movements in my opinion. You my try some type of workout involving a pool - they tend to be less stressful on the joints as far as carrying weight in my experience. If your main goal is to lose weight anyway, you should probably focus more on cardio activities like a stationary bike, treadmill, or swimming. Running is good too, of course, but it's rough on the knees if you're jogging around on sidewalks and surface streets.

10. Jorge Ruiz

Jorge Ruiz Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Jorge Ruiz
    I've been doing Crossfit for almost 6 years now. Went from 200lbs to 160lbs in my first year. I used to do the gym many many years before that but could never stay motivated to go. I am not as competitive as I used to be but the reality is I go for myself and not to compete against others. You don't have to do the "prescribed" weights... you do what you can to get a good workout. Having good coaches that help you with proper form is essential so you can keep coming back. There is no point in going so hard to injure yourself... go nice and easy and I promise you will see (and most importantly- feel) the results. Best of luck

HotShoe, Andynyc and greg328 like this.
  11. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    I am a Crossfit coach. Been at it for over a decade (as a hobby; I am a CFO during the day). Happy to talk as much or as little as you like about it. Most of the people that talk about injuries are people that haven't been to Crossfit or didn't put in the time achieve proper biomechanics, flexibility, agility etc. A lot of people want to go straight to lifting heavy, which isn't really the point (it is work capacity but that is best left for a different conversation). There are a tremendous amount of benefits from Crossfit or similar training programs that go well beyond strength and looking good (neuroendocrine adaptations, universal motor recruitments / neuro pathways, bone density, etc). And that is before addressing nutrition and understanding insulin and glucagon sensitivities and so on.

Most important thing is to find a really good coach / box that knows what they are doing. Crossfit does a good job of maintaining quality of its programs across the board but there are always some people that are better than others and each has its own culture. Not sure your specific constraints with the wrists but everything is adaptable. The Crossfit community has a major contingent missing limbs from war or life that fit in perfectly. In a class the movements and workouts will be the same across age and ability varying only the load, intensity, duration etc. In my gym we have a 15 year old that is currently ranked #1 in the world and I also have an 80 year old with MS (and literally everything in-between). I would encourage you to give it a shot but drop in to a few different boxes to see what fits you. A good coach that syncs with you and understands / supports your goals will materially alter your life for the better - it did for me well over a decade ago and I still have things to work on.

Andynyc likes this.
  12. To remove this ad click here.

13. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    That's a common misconception... low weight exercises have a very low chance of injury during a single exercise yes, but if you stick to it over many years it virtually guarantees injury.

Only heavy weight triggers the body's development of injury resistance.

greg328 and john a barnes like this.
  14. Jaydubs

Jaydubs Rookie

Oct 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Jon Wilkinson
    The concerns I've heard about it tend to center around the process they use to certify crossfit trainers. It sounds like you know your stuff and I don't mean to be critical, but how thorough is the vetting and training process? You mention that it's important to find a good coach and that kind of plays to my point. I know people who have done it for years and enjoyed it without issue, but I've also seen some very disturbing videos of crossfit workouts online that are definitely not safe. It's anecdotal I know, but I've heard similar things from standard gyms I've worked out at over the years.

15. Rdwaggie

Rdwaggie Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 6, 2018
    There are 4 levels of Crossfit trainer certifications (Level 1 and 2 are the most common, 3 & 4 is more teaching specific cert courses). Your concerns are not entirely unfounded. There are coaches that are not good and I have bumped into several. Just because they got the cert doesn’t mean they are a good coach. That being said, there are a lot more personal trainers that are way worse that I have seen. As you go up and find a level 2 or 3 then the standards increase a lot and I don’t think you would find a level 3 or 4 that you thought was bad. These are usual gym owners and course facilitators.

Crossfit posts workouts on its website for all to see as well as how to perform the movements. If you are watching a professional Crossfit HQ video you are watching the proper form. But literally anyone can post a video of themselves doing a Crossfit workout and you are right, some of the form I have seen is just a matter of time before a disc is herniated, slap tear in the shoulder etc.

If you go into a Crossfit gym a good coach will drill movements to perfection before letting you add meaningful weight. A lot of places will have a dedicated onramp class that does nothing but that for 2-4 weeks to get a new member safely and fully up to speed. If the gym you try out doesn’t have a coach asking you a bunch of questions and sizing up your mobility etc then give you a lot of personal in the early days on movements/ workouts, then you should find another gym. It is hard to assign a percentage because different areas can vary so much but I would say 80-90% of the places I have visited have been really good. From there it sort of just depends if the culture / vibe gets you excited to be there and coming back. If you don’t feel attracted to being there or like it was the place for you then it won’t be sustainable long term, but that does take a little time to establish so it won’t be the first day. I would go for a workout at a few places then give the one you like a month or two and reassess.

I would love to hear good or bad at some point what OP thinks if they give it a go.

16. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I would love to try it - I'm 52, so it would be hard, but I'm in very good physical shape. I do a lot of body weight exercises, my biggest problem is I'm uncoordinated.

17. Jorge Ruiz

Jorge Ruiz Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Jorge Ruiz
    I was in banking sitting all day and going out at nights. I did grow up going to the gym before my career took over. I fortunately met some Crossfit neighbors and seeing them transform over a few years finally got me to do something. I went from 200# which was my heaviest to 155# in a year. I could barely jumprope much less do double unders. The uncoordinated bit should eventually go away and the workouts are fun. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try.

Andynyc likes this.
  18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Social Subscribed Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    everyone I know that got into it 5-10 years ago during the craze no longer does it. I think it is great if you can stick to it consistently and not get injured, that applies to anything though and not just CrossFit.

you aren't doing something for 1 month, 6 months, or even 6 years. you want to be consistent over the rest of your life. my personal consistency is running, have done it weekly at least 3-4 times for 30 years. I have mixed in swimming, cycling, and of course triathlons. no injuries, but as I get older my plan B would be more cycling and golf vs running.

19. Jorge Ruiz

Jorge Ruiz Rookie

Apr 24, 2020
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Jorge Ruiz

That is a very good point. Out of the approximate 30 people that joined with me maybe 2-3 are still there. I was very dedicated and have avoided injuries... gradually increased everything over the years but ensuring proper form is extremely important to avoid injuries. I've been at it 7 years now, go 5 days a week... something I look forward to every morning. I'll be 47 this year and in great shape which I attribute 100% to my workouts. Consistency is the key as you mention.

20. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I've done it for 10 years now. I have done every single type of workout you can imagine from beach volleyball to P90x to running, swimming cycling, etc. IMO nothing gets you into into better overall shape. It is the best combo of intense cardio and weights that I've found.

You do have to be careful that you get into a gym that isn't focused on being "competitive" as they will tend to dwell too much on "no pain no gain". That gets you hurt unless you are twenty. In my 10 years I haven't had a single injury but I've seen a few. It is always a result of ego pushing people beyond their abilities.

I can also say that every overweight person that I've seen stick with it for six months or more lost a crazy amount of weight. If you are honest on the diet and do the work it will get you into the best shape of your life IMO.

21. dweintra

dweintra Karting

Aug 16, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    I have done CrossFit since 2014 consistently. No injuries and excellent results. We have great coaching and that is the key. I highly recommend it. CrossFit is truly for just about everyone. A good gym helps modify the workouts for all. I am 45.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

rdefabri likes this.
  22. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  23. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Lmao, I've worked out with guys like this. They all puke and quit half way in. They are strong as hell but that's it. One trick ponies. Zero endurance or athleticism.

Though I will admit Crossfit has plenty of dumb ****. Kipping pullups to start! :)

rdefabri and Challenge like this.