Death Becomes Him... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Death Becomes Him...

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by 134282, Jun 9, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Then I would recommend staying with a 1-3 yr old 600cc sportbike from the big Japanese makers. I had a 2001 CBR600 F4i and loved it. Just remember that you are posting your question on an exotic car forum where many people are giving you names of bikes *they* like, not bikes that best fit your objective (above). This often means trying to come off with the most exotic answers. You don't need a Ducati (yes, they're nice) and you don't need anything larger than 600-650. They will all propel your 250lb azz to nearly triple the speed limit so fast you're main problem is there's not enough road left to slow down safely.

The MSF course should be free or dirt cheap if you have a driver's license. You should probably do it. The differences in dynamics of a 1-track vehicle and a 2-track vehicle are many and you can apply those skills to be a better car driver. Wear leather, ride within your limits, always predict that stupid sh|t is going to happen, and understand that you don't get many 2nd chances in a bad bike accident.

good luck

2. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I started on a 305 Super Hawk in 1969 at age 16. Have owned all kind of bikes since. Traveled all over the US on bikes. I first went to Keith Code school in 1985 and have been 4 times since. Go, it will save your butt. At 250 lbs. I would buy the BMW R1150GS.

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Kevin... You're right, i figured a bunch of people might mention a bunch of different kinds of bikes and that's fine... i think i know enough to know which ones to stay away from (for now): Ducatis and Hayabusas... :) The 600 i had seemed just fine and i'm glad you agree so at least that's a second opinion...

If i can find a course cheap enough, i'll definitely take it... i always imagine courses like that to be a thousand dollars or more... i'll poke around and see what i can find... Thanks for the input; i appreciate it...

4. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    #29 docdavid, Jun 10, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    NNO, you seem to be in a similar situation to me, minus a few weeks.
    Im set on buying a bike - suzuki gs500f, i cant afford a sv650 right now so i figured I'll spend a year or so on a smaller bike to get used to riding. I like the looks of the gs500f and its one of the cheapest bikes you can buy new
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Mike...

Thank you; it's comforting to know that someone else is in a similar situation and maybe, along this road, we can trade information and experiences... That looks like an awesome bike; i wish you luck with the 500 and hope you can get the 650 soon... How tall are you and how much do you weigh, if you don't mind my asking...?

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Beloved Carbon, consider the bike, gear, insurance and riding school an *investment*, not an expense. Consider what you'll immediately do when you get the bike of your choice. I want you to re-read the link I posted (Post #2) especially slowly when words of advice regarding said gear and "everybody lays their bike down..." come up.

*investment* - you are irreplaceable.

That said - as this thread goes, is this the bike style that suits you, or are you drawn more to a Cruiser? Bear in mind, you seemed to be quite taken with the Harley you started a thread on, otherwise, well, you wouldn't have posted it. Forget the marque - the style is different than the oft-recommended Suzuki's, let alone Ducatis, etc..

and

There really should be (a) thread(s) on protective gear. Helmets, jackets, pants, gloves, boots, etc. come in all forms and of course, there are different "breathability" requirements for different climates. One man's warmth is another man's greenhouse while another man's breathable fabric is another's pneumonia.

7. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Wax... i can't express how much this has crossed my mind... i understand there are two types of riders: those who have laid their bike(s) down and those who WILL lay their bike(s) down... Protective gear (helmet, clothing, gloves, religion, etc.) are definitely on the list... i may be crazy, but i'm not stoopit...

i only posted that for the same reason i posted pictures of the 1959 Morris Minor 1000 - i thought it was cool... But i won't actively seek and purchase a Morris Minor... Nothing wrong with them, they're just not my style; just like Harleys... i'm more into sporty, speedy stuff... There's a short, skinny Italian guy inside this fat-ridden body of mine, and he's just dying to get out and zip around in/on something sporty...

8. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Carbie: Bring that bad boy up here to the mountains and I'll show you around.

9. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.

NNO & Doc,

I can't comment on a personal level since I'm not really a bike person, but one of my best friends, after much research, talking to riders, going on bike forums finally purchased a bike....the Suzuki GS500F. He absolutely loves it, has completed a bike driver training course and is looking forward to the ownership experience. I'm heading up to check it out tomorrow, and I'll try to post some pics shortly.

Best of luck on both your searches.

Andrew

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Doc, you're actually one of the first on my list...! It would be honor to ride around with you... No Dragon, though, until i've built up some (hollow) confidence... :)

Andrew, that's awesome, congratulations to your friend... i'm anxious to see your pictures... All i can think about is motorcycles; last time this happened, i bought one... i hope that happens again soon... :)

11. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.

I thought all you could think about was 134282?

12. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Carbon, I was on F-Chat today for other reasons and saw this thread. Please, please, please, take the MSF course. Don't pass go. Don't collect $200. Please I'm breaking my self-imposed ban to say this. Dean is an old biker. That is all that needs to be said. Go up into the hills and visit him. Listen to what he says. You MUST learn about counter steering. You MUST learn about braking. You may not believe this, but there is no car alive (or dead) that can match the most basic motorcycle when it comes to being what it is all about. Yes, that includes Ferraris.

If nothing else, please remember this --

The rubber side is supposed to stay down.

The shiny side goes up.

Your friend, Dale

13. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Dale, thank you... i know safety is a huge factor when it comes to bikes... i just can't take a course until AFTER i have the bike... Once i've got it, i'll look into safety courses and i'll definitely soak up as much advice from the old man as possible...

If it's any encouragement, my custom license plate will read: "DNR" :D

Andrew, motorcycles have been all i've thought about, as far as immediate, actual, affordable, possible transportation in the last two weeks... 134282 is just another level of thinking, altogether... :)

14. MrApex

MrApex Formula 3

Jun 4, 2004
    Niagara Region
    Full Name:
    Andrew B.
    Carbon,

It's too bad you have to get the bike before taking the course. My friend took a two-day riding course where the instructing school provided the bikes. While there, he had the chance to ride several different models/types and dumped a couple. The only damage done were a few bumps & bruises, but he didn't damage his own bike.

I echo Dale's comments about keeping it shiny side up. :)

Andrew

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Andrew... Without even looking, i already know those types of courses are too expensive... i'll take a course after i get the bike, though...

16. Ducman491

Ducman491 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Actually, the MSF course near me is done at the local Communty College Parking lot with THEIR bikes. Check with the AMA in your area.

17. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    Too expensive? I was under the impression that nearly all MSF courses provided bikes. In my state they do, and the courses run around $170. If thats too much of an investment for you to learn the basics of riding a bike, then your probably shouldn't be riding. Hate to curb your enthusiasm, but taking proper precautions is everything, on top of that, you'll have more fun if you learn properly from the beginning.

18. Steve Marschman

Steve Marschman Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Idaho Falls
    Full Name:
    Steve Marschman
    I missed this thread, so see my post under the Hayabusa thread...

I agree with the SV650 comments but would like to add that the Suzuki V-Strom 650 is also an excellent choice. It is a dual purpose bike but really is at home on the streets. It has the same basic engine as the SV but has different cams and is tuned for a bit more torque and about 3 less hp. The bike has a more upright riding style and you can add bags and boxes for touring very easily.

Steve

19. docdavid

docdavid Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Toronto/K-W
    Full Name:
    Mike D

NNO, Im only 5'10" and about 170 lbs so I'm not as much in need of the extra cc's

edit: the msf course im taking at a local college is three days long (friday evening in the class and all day saturday and sunday on bikes) and only cost $355 CDN and that includes the test and licensing to get my m2 on their bikes, I commend NNO's bravery as I dont have the nuts to get on a bike having never rid one before.

Andrew, pictures would be great Im having a hard time finding shots of the bike from multiple angles

20. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    i was under the impression that classes would be four figures...! If classes are that cheap - or even a few hundred bucks - then i'll sign up immediately after i get my bike...!

21. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Mike, the first bike i had i rode once, so technically, i have been on a bike before... Braking, turning, stopping - everything came pretty quickly, i didn't really have any problems; just with downshifting... If i can find a local bike course/class around here for around the same amount of money you're paying, i'll definitely take it... Thanks...

22. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Carb: YOu don't even need to own a bike to do the course; they supply 250 beater bikes; i would sign up immediately, because depending on location, the courses may be booked; ideally, you take the MSF course, and at least here in NY, can take your road test at the end of it, so you never even have to deal with the DMV, schlepping your bike there, etc.
    Keep in mind that there is a reason why this safety course exists- it is subsidized by the manufacturers in whose interest it is to give new riders every advantage in having a safe, and enjoyable, ownership experience.
    And, as others have said, good helmet, and riding gear is also a must. I know that sounds like a broken record, but i have to resist the temptation to say- oh, i'm just running down to the next town, no need to get all geared up- that's when ****e happens....
    BTW, as others have said and suggested, it does become addictive. You start thinking about your technique, and certain roads, and when you go back out, you are actually better for it. There's a ton of stuff to learn, and i use that to temper my reasonable fear, because if you think about it, it's crazy, but not to think about it is worse....
    Here's the link to the Georgia page- just click on the schedules button to nail it down. http://www.gadmvs.com/training/gmsp/

23. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Bill, you're the man...! Thank you...!!!

24. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Preston
    NNO, seriously, please don't buy the bike before you take the class. I know you probably won't hurt yourself or anything, but its just not worth the risk. Plus its pretty sad when you buy a bike and can't ride off on it. I watched a kid purchase a ZX12 last summer, he had never been on a bike before. The salesmen spent the better part of an hour trying to convince the kid that he shouldn't buy the bike, going so far as to turn the sale over to another salesperson while saying "I can't have that on my conscious". They all stood and watched as he dropped it three times in the parking lot, damn near looped it, and basically destroyed the bike in the span of about 100 feet.

25. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat