Dead TR. Need help! | FerrariChat

Dead TR. Need help!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by campbell360, Apr 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. campbell360

campbell360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Michiana
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Hi all....I'm not much of a mechanic so this is stumping me. Over the winter I pulled the circuit board and sent it in for an update. Turns out it was already done so they sent it back. I replaced all the relays with updated versions as all of them seemed OE. I put everything back now the car is dead. New battery so that's not it. A test light clipped to the neg battery cable and touching the positive has no light. So there appears to be a major ground issue. Where should I start? Thanks for any advice.

2. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime Formula Junior

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Do you have a battery tester? If it is new it will test good in or out of the car regardless of the ground wire (unless you are testing on the battery contact and the connection to the battery is loose, wet, or corroded). What is test light rated for? If it is for 120V AC, It will not light up. If battery is OK, then check the battery switch turned off (under hood by battery). Then report back

3. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    So you put a test light across the negative and positive battery terminals and "no light"....? If you used an automotive test light...then I'd say the battery is the problem.

4. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Did you turn on the power switch above the battery? in the front luggage compartment. Optimus already addressed that!

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    as I understand you put the test light to the negative cable ( where ?) and the positive ( also where? )
    if you go directly on the battery and the light is off then the light is broken or the battery empty

6. campbell360

Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Michiana
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thanks everyone for their input. I may not have described what I did very well. 1) I just discovered there even was a battery kill switch. It has been in the "on" position the entire time. 2) I was told to unhook the negative battery cable and attach the test lite to it. I then touched the positive terminal on the battery. No light. Thus being a 'grounding' issue? I truly am at a loss as to what happened since what I did to the car was pretty minimal and it ran fine when I put it away for the winter (on a trickle charger like all my other cars).

7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Certainly "cycle" the battery kill switch a couple of on-off-on cycles to wipe the contacts. If no joy, confirm your test light does illuminate:

1) when touching the two battery terminals,
    2) with one side touching the positive battery terminal and the other side touching the ground wire on the RH front bonnet latch,
    3) with one side touching the negative battery terminal and the other side touching a terminal in the unplugged large red wire that normally is connected to the d and e terminals of the fuse-relay panel.

If it doesn't illuminate in one of those tests, it can give a clue about where to look. Also, have you checked/tightened where the d&e red cable attaches to the stud on the positive battery terminal?

8. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That is not correct, light will not light as you describe test. Touch light to positive and negative battery and verify it lights to verify battery is good. Next touch light to positive post on battery and then to metal on frame while both cables are connected to battery. If it does not light you have ground issue. Report back

turbo-joe likes this.
  9. OptimusPrime

May 10, 2011
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Tom
    What Steve said;-)

10. campbell360

Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Michiana
    Full Name:
    Doug

11. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Down on the lower frame rail under the engine is a "quick-disconnect" for the positive power cable - check to see that is also okay.

12. campbell360

Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Michiana
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thanks guys. I did get it going. I'm embarrassed to say that the hot cable to the circuit board was not connected. I did everything so long ago to send out the board that I forgot there was another cable to connect. Started right up. Sorry for the trouble. And thanks for the help.

turbo-joe likes this.
  13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    when you unhook the negative battery cable and attach the test light to it where you put the other terminal from the test light? you have no closed loop to the battery so the light can not go on

good that you found the mistake with the not connected wire