De Tomaso P72 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

De Tomaso P72

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by PaulK, Jul 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Posted in silver, but I've been casually looking into ordering a P72 over the last few weeks. The issue I have is sending a relatively unproven company in China a million bucks with hopes it will actually be built and delivered. Aside from Gumpert what else have they done and with how much success? What if it’s never built or delivered? Don't get me wrong - it's a beautiful car and seems impressive with a manual to boot, but that's a leap I'm just not willing to make as of yet.

2. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    ypsilon and Boomhauer like this.
  3. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    100% agreed

The SCG006 lots a whole lot more like the Shelby Daytona Coupe ... from ALL angles, including the rear ... than the De Tomaso P72 resembles the Pininfarina P4/5.

Who's "copying" whom, exactly?

4. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Found new old stock of DeTomaso bio book published in 1991. So won't have the 1999 model or the new P72 but still a nice book. PM me if interested. Will bring to Carmel August 15-17th. Will throw in the P72 print shown in this section.
    Forza DeTomaso!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Car will be displayed at Pebble probably on what I call the "dream car lawn."
    I'll be on the Peninsula from Thursday night on through Sunday lso et me know if you're a diehard DeTomaso memorabilia guy, because I'll have with me three books DeTomaso:the Man and His Machines, another book on Panteras, yet another entitled Exreme Panteras showing some bad a__ modified cars plus the PR shot and a print of my own painting. It remains to be seen whether the fans of old DeTomasos will warm up to this newbie, which is more than 60 times the price of the '71 Pantera...I like the P72 because I always loved curves more than I do flat planes though the Mangusta is sure a strong argument for flat planes

6. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    The engine has been named: Roush/Ford 5.0L V8, supercharged.

It's the perfect engine for this car.

dammit ...

flat_plane_eddie and The B like this.
  7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    historically it makes sense but its still just a mustang engine. would've preferred a new Shelby 350 flat crank na motor. only 520hp vs prob 700+ rousch but still...

Jaguar36 and carguyjohn350 like this.
  8. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    The 5.0 engine is tried and true and pretty stout. As much as I like the GT350 engine, it has some issues which haven't been discovered by anyone outside of Ford since every time there's a warranty claim Ford just replaces it and doesn't allow the techs to take it apart. I've read rumors that it could be the oil pump but these are just rumors. Maybe it's an easy fix and in that case the GT350 engine would have been better.

9. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Oil pump gear, i think fixed in latest generations.

Personally, I have no problem with a crossplane crank inside a supercharged 5L ... especially one that revs to 7500rpm :)

10. The B

The B Karting

May 30, 2016
    West side of sandbar
    I was so hoping (any) V12 would have made it to production in the P72...as it is....I think I am still in for it.

11. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Tragic they are loosing the V12, but given it’s marque history, understandable.

BJK likes this.
  12. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  13. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  14. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
  15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Its gorgeous.
    Yes a bent crank v8 works with the Detomaso name but a high reving motor realy fits with its p4 classic italian looks not to mention price,

To use their line "sophisicated elegance" I think a bent crank V8 thats been supercharged is neither, although it is an elegant solution to lots of power.

16. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    being delivered at Miller Motorcars, Greenwich, CT

Boomhauer likes this.
  17. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Is it still there?

18. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    No idea, the Apollo IE Golden Dragon was there last Sat. (normal LEFT HAND DRIVE)
    check vid at 6:53 RIGHT HAND DRIVE???

19. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    That car looks more desirable to me than anything else being produced today. Stunning!

boxerman, Boomhauer, Mang and 2 others like this.
  20. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I dont know that the front bumper on the 72 is any lower than my Alfa 4C. How does Alfa meet the law? I don't know if the claims of bumper laws requiring tall front ends are really real.

21. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    its probably coming in under one of the new component car rules. If your car resembles a historic car design and has an epa. Compliant motor you pretty much don’t need to worry about dot besides seatbelts and turn signals. You can’t sell More than 350 per year under the rule but you can sell complete cars.

this car resembles a Ferrari p3/4 and the rouch motor is epa compliant so thyre good.

mite the same way JimG is doing it with some of his cars and there the resemblance is even looser.

it’s how the Classic Morgan 6 cylinders have come In Recently

so you can’t do a modern design shape but if your car looks like something from the past then as long as an epa motor you’re ok.

Auraraptor and BT like this.
  22. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Has the NHTSA Replica Rule actually been implemented now? I know for a fact that as of 27th November, 2018 the Rule had not become effective.

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    from
    My understanding that is how the Morgan roadsters have been coming in and how jiI’m g is doing some of his cars.

there was an implementation delay during the last gov shutdown.

24. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Boomhauer likes this.