Daytona Values | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Daytona Values

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by 410SA, May 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerd

nerd F1 Rookie

Oct 12, 2003
    Coronado, CA
    Full Name:
    RSK
    Multiple markets (art, collector cars, etc.) are being pushed higher by European buyers taking advantage of the crippled dollar.

Europe is calling, they want their Ferraris back!!!

2. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Lots of issues with this car. I'm not sure who restored it, but they didn't know Daytonas. Heck, they didn't even take the time to do the research to get the rain wells right. (They should be body color on a car of this vintage, they didn't go to black until the fall of 1971.) The list of incorrect or missing items is pretty long on this car. Some are easy to fix, others would take some serious money to make right. Pretty paint in pictures though.

On the race histories of Daytonas vs. 275 GTBs, according to a guy that raced both, Luigi Chinetti, he preferred the Daytona hands down. There's a reason why a relativey stock Daytona, 12467, was fifth overall at LeMans (Chinetti was at the helm of that car) when Porsche 917s and Ferrari 512s ruled the roost. They were fast and reliable. Some cheater 275 GTBs, like 6885, did very well or a couple of the dry sump 90xx long nose cars did well. Both cars had their day in sun when everything went right.

Steve

3. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Steve,

For those of us trying to learn more about Daytonas, what are the issues with this car (other than the aforementioned rain wells)?

4. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH

Stan it was the missing silver paint band on the pop-up headlights I was thinking of. The missing side marker lights are a problem to. However Steve has a whole shopping list of corrections if the car were to represent how Ferrari built it. Seems a waste to not use the knowledge out there; to restore the Daytona correctly. Done correctly the Daytona should command a nice premium!
    CH

5. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I agree. If I were going to that length, I would not use artistic license.

6. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    I got my FML yesterday. They say +8% in six months but it seems like more based on the cars we see offered.

7. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Well, I don't want to publicly roast a car that is for sale with everything that is wrong.

The previous posts mentioning the missing rear quarter panel lights and missing silver stripe on the nose are correct though.

Steve

8. mikegt

mikegt Karting

Apr 4, 2004
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mike Gilfillan
    Regarding the ASKING price of the Daytonas listed in FML, how long has each been fore sale? Are they moving or is inventory stacking up?

9. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    with regards to asking prices; these cars never did fly out of the window....it takes time to evaluate and buy a collector car...and there are choices with daytonas these days..I don't expect cars to sell for two/three months on the average.

10. toto70_0

toto70_0 F1 Rookie

Sep 14, 2004
    NETHERLANDS
    We have sold 3 Daytona,s last month to the new market called Russia, all for over 200K euro's. Nice cars.

11. tomgt

tomgt F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 22, 2004
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Tom Wiggers
    Also the black one which was in Wagenberg town?

12. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Wow. Now that is a pretty interesting tidbit! As I see it the real key to sustained growth in the hobby and values of the cars is expanded global demand. If the newly wealthy in places like Russia are buying Daytonas I would call that a very good sign for the market.

Care to share any more details or insights?

Terry

13. DM18

DM18 F1 Rookie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hong Kong
    I was also disappointed with the comments on the Daytona.

An Evo stage is something that we all need to go through. I hope yours doesn't bring you disappointment. Post later about how this tuner part and that tuner part was necessary to unlock potential... An M5 to Evo switch is dramatic but at least the Evo is better balanced. Try a QP GT Sport - much faster than an M5 around the Ring even with a lot less horsepower

14. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    - reaffirmed by the results at RM in Maranello, the equation excellent condition + known history = top price remains - although the European trade continues to struggle with examples that don't fit this profile.

-continued desirability of a genuine Spyder was witnessed by the world record price paid for Edsel Ford's which wasnt a cond 1 car.

- 18 months ago we lost out (vendor changed his mind) on Ch#12681 - a Piet Roelofs built Comp spec Daytona, a full 60% less than is currently being asked by UK dealer Cars International for a comparable example.

- emergent markets, knowledgeable private buyers, finite availability, solid investment and multiple owners (us included) have all contributed to this healthy rise.

As with all models - research the market, drive more than 1 example, research its history fully and buy the best you can afford

15. Zarathustra

Zarathustra Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 7, 2006
    Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gary Robinson
    Hey all you want-to-be truck drivers,
    T. Rutland has a Daytona "project" on ebay.

We had to replace the front clip on one of our Daytonas after it met a deer. But the deer didn't reach the radiator, as opposed to this project.

The car is going to have a little stigma attached to it...

16. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    Unless my math is wrong, the RM Auction Daytona "only" got to around $1.41M, depending on the exact exchange rate that day. A Daytona Spyder sold for $1.5M back in the 1989 run up.

But, with the last Daytona Spyder, 17073, coming up at Goodings auction in Monterey, that should shatter the $1.5M figure given the good, but not great, car that sold in Maranello. I'm still unsure how Ferrari Classiche certified a USA Daytona with European stuff on the car and a few other odd things about the car. Or, maybe they don't care about the difference?

Steve

17. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Is *17073* still in the 'family'? If so they must be happy nobody would pay their crazy asking price of less than a million dollars for a 'garage queen'.
    CH

18. kvisser

kvisser Formula 3

Dec 11, 2004
    Damascus, MD
    Full Name:
    Ken Visser
    #43 kvisser, May 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That's an interesting idea. I was that at the amelia auction and came away thinking it was an ugly car with a cheesy interior. Returning it to its former self could turn out to be a good investment.

cheers

ken
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    I totally agree..... its an ugly rebody that serves no purpose. Im no purist and I fully appreciate good looking rebody efforts and such (Nembo spyders come to mind) but this one has few if any redeeming characteristics. Restoring the car back to a top quality original spyder would sure seem the smart move.

Terry

20. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    CH,

I don't know who "owns" 17073 at the moment. I was told it sold about six months ago for $1.2M. But, then it shows up in a Goodings ad for the Monterey auction with a bunch of other Garrison/ex-Garrison cars.

Steve

21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I see what you mean Steve about the Gooding & Company sale. I know this is the Daytona thread but I think the 1956 Superamerica would trump the Daytona Spyder as the better choice. It certainly has the more interesting 'history' attached to it...
    CH