Daytona Values | FerrariChat

Daytona Values

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by 410SA, May 17, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Sheehan has listed a yellow Daytona at $349,000. Is this a typo?
    I haven't seen any Daytonas over $300k since the speculator madness of the late 80's.

If this sells anywhere near this price, where do real Spyders go? over $1 million?

2. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Alex........

This may or may not be the car I think it is. One of my clients knows Mike and has/had a car exactly like this on which he performed an amazing resto. Did you notice the reference to Canada in his ad ? This is why I think it is this car......if so it is stunning. Don't know about the price though.

3. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    FML has 3 over $300k, out of 7 listed, not including Sheehans. Highest one is 179k GB Pounds ($354,500).

4. daviddavid

daviddavid Formula Junior

May 17, 2005
    It is the same one; its on his website
    http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/carintro.php?reqcardir=FE-365GTB4-14279-PM
    http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/carintro.php?reqcardir=FE-365GTB4-14279

5. coachi

coachi Formula 3

May 1, 2002
    SC USA
    I think daytona owners arent going to be too quick selling their treasures, especially since at one time, they reached prices over 500,000.

However, if a recession hits in the near future, prices will go down.

Let's see, I wonder what a 288GTO, a C4, and possibly an Enzo will go for then? How about Dinos, which have skyrocketed recently?

6. jorge.rios

jorge.rios F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 2, 2006
    Monterrey
    Full Name:
    Jorge
    The LoH used to have one but i dont remember the price...it was original but they made it Convertible

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The recent issue of CAR magazine kinda slammed the Daytona...

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Finally !

9. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    A bastion of automotive knowledge and clear authority on vintage Ferrari's.... everyone should take note!

I hear they love the Nissan Sentra, though not quite as much as the latest from Hyundai.

Terry

10. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Terry, CAR is a pretty good magazine and the article was on Ferrari's super cars and included the 250GTO, 275, 288GTO, F40, F50 and Enzo...I was disappointed that both the Boxer and Daytona were left out even though they were both Ferrari's flagship models when new...and, the Nissan Sentre is a great car, although I prefer the Infiniti G35 version ...by the way, I will be replacing my M5 with an up coming Mitsubishi EVO X when they come out in 2008...they are so sweet...~ 320hp from an all aluminum intercooled turbo 1.9 liter I-4, Brembo brakes, Momo steering wheel, Recaro seats, AWD with adjustable center and rear differential all OEM with over 20mpg at well less than $40k...

11. premieram

premieram Karting

Jun 10, 2004
    All over the place
    Full Name:
    Joseph T. Seminetta
    Daytona values do seem to be increaseing as some have actually traded at significant levels. Continental Motors has a US driver for sale for $279. With Dino values approaching $200K, what should a Daytona be worth (heck a Warhol painting just sold for $70 million, and I think the Daytona is better art :)

12. IanB

IanB F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 15, 2006
    Sydney
    Its a case of "received wisdom" in my opinion. Gavin Green, who wrote the article, is an Aussie and doesn't specify where or how his Daytona knowledge came about. I've not seen him connected with Ferraris in the last 30 years here.

I suspect he drove one car once, got a surprise that it took more work to drive than a Nissan 1600 and has been living off the story ever since.

13. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    If you consider the cost of restorations today, this could be a great deal. Figure 100-125K for a mechanical rebuild, 30-40k for metal work and paint, 10K for an interior, plus lots of little things that add up.They might be into a 175 to 200K rstoration.You get a finished car. Think about how nice that would be. It might be a Rod Drew/ Steve Beckman restoration. It is a better deal then a 225K driver. It is still a 40 year old Italian sports car that will always have issues, but it is done.I bet it sells very fast.

14. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    Well, this choice of cars to list as Ferrari super cars returns to a commonthread here. All of the cars mentioned were built as comp. cars with significant racing history. the Daytona didn't exactly fit in the same catagory. IMHO it is neither a limited edition raw boy racer, nor a super-car. It was a flagship model. In its time the 250gto and 275gtb were not flagship models but race cars. Having said that I think we are just begining to see the appreciation in Daytona values. It is a car you cannot duplicate cheaply, has sex appeal and is easily recognizable by the general public. Not to mention as Matt does, the replacement costs.

15. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    The Daytona had a far longer, more successful and more significant racing history than the 275. Folks so often forget how successful the Comp Daytonas were and how long their racing success carried on. A Daytona finished 2nd overall at the 24 hours of Daytona in 1979, 5 full years after production ended and facing competition from Porsche 935's and such. No small feat. And before everyone jumps in that this result was due to so much of the faster competition dropping out, that is the point of endurance sportscar racing!

Then again when it comes to values, this really doesnt matter. The market today discounts Daytonas you can drive and puts a premium on cars that if you were to drive them you would immediatly destroy their value. Its no longer about the pleasure to be derived from using the cars as they were meant to be used. Its about wiping them with a diaper in the climate controlled garage between trailering them to various shows where the massive cost of restoration (by only the "right" names of course) is worn like a membership badge and the $$$$ is far more the point than anything related to the actual cars. I despise this aspect of this hobby and it does put me off to the whole vintage Ferrari thing to a degree.

Terry

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    The only reason i see for the Daytona not being worth $500k+ is that its not elligible to prestigious events as are the 275s/Lussos etc.
    They arent as rare but rare enough to be worth more than $250.000 at least..

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    What race series did Ferrari race the 288GTO, F40, F50 and Enzo in?

18. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    S.p.A. hasn't raced sportscars for years but F 40's raced at Le Mans and rebadged Enzo's won The FIA championship last year and are leading this year.

Daytona's are going up. The buy of the year was that Michelloto NART Daytona spyder.
    That one should be sent back to Classiche to be restored as a real spyder.

19. prance

prance Formula Junior

May 4, 2005
    Agoura Hills
    Full Name:
    morris
    Terry, you raise two issues that Napolis has not already answered. One is that the 275, notwithstanding the comp. model, was still built as a race car, the Daytona was not. Second, if you check your research some more you will see that the 275 had a far more extensive race history than the Daytona. so many privateers raced them. check the literature from the 275 tour. As for diapers and climate controlled garages, not anyone I know. I personally drive my 275 all the time and on long trips as well. It's hard to keep the diapers clean with all of the oil I am constantly wiping off.

20. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    The 275 was designed and built as a racecar? I always though it was designed and built primarily as a street car with some built with performance in mind and some specials built fully modified for competition. Did Ferrari really envision selling several hundred 275 racecars?

Good to hear you drive yours, but I do fear owners like you and me and not typical of todays buyers.

Terry

21. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    FML came today, and has the following Daytona asking prices($000):309,345,295,280,354 and 325.

22. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    +1 Ditto Jimmy

23. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Platinum Flares and Chairs Dinos have allegedly traded north of $200k for almost a year

24. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Where did the year of 1972 come from to identify this Ferrari Daytona if it was built in the middle of 1971? It looks like the paint job has something missing...or is that artistic license.
    CH

25. open roads

open roads F1 Rookie

Jan 28, 2007
    Sarasota, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Stan
    The pictures of the yellow car have the rear side marker lights during restoration and then not at the end. Is this what you noticed?

You would have to expect Daytona values to follow the 275s, albiet at some distance.