Daytona stainless steel exhaust systems | FerrariChat

Daytona stainless steel exhaust systems

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by bighitter2, Mar 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    I see several manufacturers offering stainless steel exhaust systems for a Daytona does anyone have a recommendation from experience on which is the best, and how do they alter the exhaust note? I am finally giving in after replacing 4 sets of rear pipes in 20 years! Enough is enough...Chuck

2. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I have a 365 gt 2+2, so not a Daytona, but vintage V12. I converted to stainless almost 15 years ago and no problems. I went with stebro, because Ansa wasn’t readily making stainless systems for my car at the time and Stebro had one in stock. The stebros weren’t polished at the time, but that doesn’t bother me. Some of the hanger points weren’t exactly lined up, but that’s an easy fix with a welding torch. Very durable. I live in Chicago and the roads suck. About 12 years ago I was driving on Ashland (a major street in Chicago ) and a steel plate on the street came loose and ripped the rear section off of the driver’s side. The heat shield and a section of the curved pipes had to be replaced, but the resonators were fine other than the scratches. I’m told the fit and finish on the Ansa is better. As far as the sound, I find the stebro to be a bit louder and the pitch slightly higher. Some people have had long delays from Stebro. In my case three days Canada to Chicago. I’ll post pictures later. Hope this helps.

3. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Just remembered there’s a thread about Stebro. Dan died and the company went out of business. One of his former employees now owns S & S exhaust in Canada.

4. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm

I recently drove a 365 GTC4 with full stainless exhaust. Sound was nothing like an original, way too loud and the system was polished so it stuck out too much in view under the car for my taste. As you may know the 365 GTC4 sound is purportedly one of the best, the stainless system ruined it for sound and looks.
    John

pcht5 likes this.
  5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ive read that the location of the hangers on all brands are off and need repositioning. anybody have a straight plug and play experience w the new Ansa systems?

6. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    John, i have put off using a stainless system for years because i had heard that the sound different ( and not in a good way) than the steel systems, but damn! Just tired of replacing rusted out pipes..Chuck...every system we have installed ( one set of main mufflers and 4 sets of rear pipes and mufflers had to have the hangers moved including the first set which were NOS from Ferrari

7. jnk

jnk Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2010
    Chuck,
    I have used the Time Valve system and it is fantastic. I have it on my Daytona, 2 Dino's and Maserati Ghibli. They are a perfect fit and sound like the original. In addition Mike is wonderful to work with.
    I sent Mike my Dino and Ghibli exhaust to make an exact copy and he did a perfect job. I cannot say enough good things about Time Valve.

F456M likes this.
  8. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    I too have had a Time Valve system on my Daytona for six or seven years. I have had no issues and cannot tell any difference in the sound.

9. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Chuck, please forgive me, but is your car a Euro or U.S. ?
    While I don’t have experience with “aftermarket” suppliers (stainless) systems, the sound difference between OEM (Ansa) Euro and U.S. exhaust is noticeable, at least to me and even while driving, although this could be partially due to differences in floor layer structures.

Also, to help prevent premature internal corrosion failures, do you drive your car long and hard enough to get the entire exhaust system hot enough to eliminate or minimize formation of condensation ?
    I would recommend doing this EVERY time you start the engine. While (in)frequent/periodical “start, run or drive briefly & shut off” is fairly common among many vintage car owners, it is also about the worst mistreatment one can do for a mild steel exhaust system.

F456M, Rifledriver and amerikalei like this.
  10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I agree. Never start my car unless I can drive it for at least 30 minutes. I might do a couple of stops but always get it fully up to temp prior to parking it for the day.

TTR likes this.
  11. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I have a Quicksliver stainless system on mine. IMHO it sounds a bit better and is no louder than the original system, but I agree it does look very visible under the car. At some point I will have something done about that.

I remember my Dad being really impressed the the exhaust on mine and had a Quicksliver system installed on one of his 330GTS', but that was you could hear it from a mile away loud and he changed it for something else.

12. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I fairly sure the Ansa sport rear section I bought for my car was stainless, but coated black so looked the same other that the tips of the exhaust did not shine as much as chrome. I kept the existing stainless section that was on my car but it was powder coated to match and the coating stayed on, I am not sure what process they used but it worked.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

375+ and AtSomePoint like this.
  13. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Is that the system from Superperformance in England? At some point I’m going to need to do my headers and I’ve been looking at a set from them.

14. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    as an aside, the stock center mufflers weigh a ton. very heavy system.

15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #15 Wheels1, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Sorry no.
    The centre sections was S. S from an unknown source, rear pipe's ANSA my manifold pipes I had ceramic coated.
    Don't forget the ones at Superformance are for RHD cars so make sure they are correct for your car before you buy.

JP365 likes this.
  16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    IIRC for the Daytona, that ANSA can pattern the whole system?
    EDIT: there it is, thanks!!

I don't think OEM is stainless, however being made to order may be worth a call.
    ANSA normally uses "aluminized steel" which is an electroplate system, I think.

Then of course you can go over that, as you did.....looks legit!

17. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    To my knowledge the ''new" Ansa company can deliver all their exhaust systems in stainless steel as an option. Pricing is not very different from mild steel. Mild steel was/is the original standard. Their mild steel exhaust system are very prone to corrosion as discussed here.

Best regards Peter

18. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    With exception of tubes in U.S. headers, OEM (ANSA-BREV) systems, including chrome plated end/tip tubes after resonators, are mild steel.
    Currently available reproduction/replacement ANSA systems feature Stainless end/tip tubes, easily distinguishable difference in appearance.
    I have replaced or repaired/restored and worked on ANSA systems only, so no personal experience with other aftermarket replacement sets.

pshoejberg likes this.
  19. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    While not exactly about stainless exhaust, I just came across this photo illustrating "out-of-the-box" fit of replacement ANSA tail pipes I installed few years ago.
    Obviously "some" adjustments were required. :rolleyes:
    And IIRC, the new (Euro) mufflers were a bit off too, but perhaps not quite as much... o_O

readplays likes this.
  20. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Yeah, when I got mine from Stebro, I thought I’ll do the “install” and have my buddy’s shop do the welding. That quickly became, “Hey Tim, can you install this system on my car, it doesn’t quite line up....I swear every system was “custom” from the factory.

21. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Edit:
    In light of additional (& ongoing) research it appears the internal tubes of OEM (ANSA-BREV) U.S. mufflers are/were also made of stainless steel, although their welded flanges and outer sheet metal "skins", encapsulating the heat/sound shielding (asbestos?) material, are mild steel.

22. bighitter2

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Hi Timo, my car is a Euro car...you pic shows just far off these systems can be, Rand has run into this with every System he has installed on my car in the last 20 years...Chuck

TTR likes this.
  23. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Chuck, thanks for your feedback.
    Now I can sleep better, knowing that ANSA is not trying to make just my jobs difficult. :rolleyes:

As a side note, I just got another car in needing new tailpipes and resonators, but I might just fabricate my own as it could be, if not a lot easier, probably not much more work than correcting currently available aftermarket sets...

turbo-joe likes this.