Daytona Spyder with 86 miles from new. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Daytona Spyder with 86 miles from new.

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by gt4me, Mar 31, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    So it's worth nothing because you can't drive it but to make it drivable ruins it.

I disagree.

2. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I agree with Intmd8. If you are buying the car as an "investment" then sure, leave it as is, or seal it in a hermetic bubble or something-- that is the best way to preserve it's value.

But, if you want to buy it as a new Daytona Spyder, and enjoy it in the way it was intended to be enjoyed, then I think that's much better. Will it hurt the value? Sure. Would it be worth it? I suppose that's up to the buyer.

I should add that people value things for different reasons. Someone might enjoy owning it because it's beautiful, largely untouched, and has a great history. They might get more enjoyment out of looking at it, telling people it's story, etc., than they would in driving it. Just knowing you own it could be worth something to the right person.

3. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ironic, as it basically never saw "the road"
    What a waste..

4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #29 Marcel Massini, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    The chromed front grille guard was a factory option.

Marcel Massini

5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Having performed more than once what could be considered a "recommissioning" of a barn find or time capsule, I'd say that to make any car of this age, older or even 20 years younger in similar condition or under similar circumstances safely and reliably "operable" and useful motor vehicle will take a lot more than just "change the fluids and consumables".

One could safely assume that unless serviced/replaced already within past decade or so, any O.E. assembled/installed mechanical area or part containing "soft" components like rubber hoses, o-rings, seals, adhesives, sealants, permanently sealed lubricants, etc, etc, etc, is due (or past due) for service/replacement.

And if the untouched ("virgin"?) appearance of everything is to be maintained, all of these services will require very carefull, thoughtful and often time consumig execution not necessarily available at every shop.

Also, as TheMayor noted, there can be numerous other "death by storage" issues related to corrosion/oxidation inside many components that may not be apparent during casual inspections and tests. Not to mention potential manufacturing defects that may have gone undetected all this time...

...For example, I have a low mileage, 2 owner Daytona scheduled in soon for major service including correction of a rather annoying driving/operational problem originating from mechanical manufacturing defect I believe to have been present already at the factory and which both owners have just always ignored, 2nd owner for over 4 decades now. I'm surprised the original owner didn't get it corrected under warranty.

6. Andrewo

Andrewo Formula Junior

Dec 4, 2011
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    #31 Andrewo, Apr 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Of course I agree and have done similar which is why I originally stated "go through the mechanicals make sure it's good to go and drive it". Of course we know that could be quite a job but if any car is worth it, certainly this would qualify.

Even if it required an engine rebuild or more, why not? I can't see stating "I don't drive it not only because it has 86 miles but because it will no longer run due to a bad engine".

I highly doubt this is the case however. It appears to be maintained to a high degree, not something that was just forgotten about in a barn somewhere.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    So no one knows the asking?

9. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Buying this would be like marrying a supermodel under with the agreement that you'll never actually have sex. Wow this would look great in the garage but after a few weeks it might just drive you completely nuts

Of course it might work if you had another Daytona but supermodels generally don't put up with that sort of crap

Nembo1777 likes this.
  10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Even though it has such low mileage there have been a few things added to the car, -

A Gold prancing horse on the dash, a nose badge on the center console, a prancing horse on the boot lid [trunk lid], and a strange door mirror.

There are also some things I am not sure about - the small button on the side of the glove box, 1972 seat belts, I would assume this is a 73 car? I also wonder if it came with this steering wheel from the factory I wonder if it came with a leather one and maybe the dealer have changed it, or the leather one might have broke as they often did? Does anyone have any early photos of this car?

11. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    any recent engine and interior pictures?

12. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I have no way of relating to buying such a car either in the day or today ($). Yet to me either way seems kind of a waste of beautiful machine. Why buy something like that and never use it, pretty much garage art/really expensive paperweight. I guess if one can afford such things to use in any way they like, to each their own

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  14. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    From what I have read about the car, Greg asked Ferrari to add some special touches. I would guess those things were added by the factory.

15. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Why? Nothing would be stopping you from driving the car. Sure, it would depreciate a bit more than if you left it alone, but that's probably about it.

16. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Somehow I think it is not very likely, more likely these would have been dealer fitted. Maybe Marcel has a copy of the original order form for this car ?

17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Is that a 308 style knob on the turn signal switch arm ? Replacement ?

18. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The above is an interesting question for sure because neither possibility makes much sense. On one hand, the mods seem don't seem like something the factory would do. On the other hand, it would seem to be the very definition of insanity to order a car you know from day one you intend to keep as time capsule, and then go out and mod it (or have the dealer mod it).

Ordering special factory mods to make a zero mile car even more special would make a lot of sense, so that possibility seems more plausible to me.

19. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I have just had a look at a close up of the gold badge on the dash and it has very very poor definition and does not even look like a badge Ferrari would produce.

20. Colombo1

Colombo1 Rookie

Jan 25, 2009
    Some time around late 1971 the factory started changing over to square end switch arms. The square ends are clearly shown in the "ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE 1972 USA VERSION" handbook supplement (page 8). The earlier (71') USA Version handbook supplement shows the fluted switch arms (page 5).

21. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I guess it all depends on how much of a premium the eventual buyer shells out based on this mileage. If that premium is in the millions-and it sounds like that may happen-this car is never going to be driven. Unfortunately, you'd buy a different car if you want to drive it.

22. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    The difficult part is telling how much of the premium is due purely to the mileage, and how much is due to the Greg Garrison history, etc. I would argue that this car, with 10,000 miles, would still be worth a premium over a normal Daytona spyder.

23. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Yup, when this sells it will be real hard to determine how much premium was placed on the mileage vs the history. It's also the only spyder in this color (love that paint) and it's also the last one. There's a bunch going on with this car.

Whoever does buy it is going to have some deep pockets so if they do decide to drive it no one's talking them out of it.

24. msn

msn Formula Junior

Jan 22, 2011
    Another member posted a rough calculation for mileage based on the recent sale of a 147 KLM 288 GTO to Bahrain compared to a GTO with 10,000, the calculation was a multiply of 1.78 then on top of that you would have the ownership of Greg Garrison.

25. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    would be nice to see a current engine picture and compare it to the 2007 goodings catalog pictures.