Daytona Prices: My God!!!! | FerrariChat

Daytona Prices: My God!!!!

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by ag512bbi, Aug 10, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Have you seen the prices of Daytonas in the Latest FML. Oh My God!!!! up to $300,000. Give me a break. NNO, what is going on!!!!

2. scylla6

scylla6 Rookie

Aug 9, 2005
    ct
    Perhaps Daytonas are finally comming up to where they should be. Years ago when I was looking for one they were always priced substantially higher than a 275, a Lusso, or a 330. If you could not afford a Daytona you had to settle for one of the others.
    Now a 275 GTB is 600 or so, a 330 GTC is 125, and a Lusso is 375. Based on this where should a Daytona be? To my mind a Daytona is a far better car and much better looking than any of the above.
    But of course I am a Daytona nut.

3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Until I see or hear some evidence of cars actually selling for prices near any of these high asking prices, I consider it advertising baloney.

My guess is $175K is all the money on a great Daytona and drivers are still $135K-$150K.

That said, if someone plopped $250K in front of me for my car they would walk away disappointed. What else can you buy in a cool vintage sportscar for that price that even comes close to a Daytona?

Terry

4. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I remember when coupes were aactually selling for over $300,000 and real spiders were close to 1 million.

5. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I'm with Terry on prices.

End of the day, it will all come down to supply and demand. I suspect this is why the earlier models are commanding higher prices at the moment - they're more rare.

I'd love a Lusso, but it's a different kind of car, so would have to have both :) Prices of these have really gone up of late.

The 275 doesn't float my boat at all. The styling's too heavy in comparison to the 250s and 365GTB/4. It may be that it drives more nicely (never driven one, so couldn't comment properly), but it lacks that little something for me.

Hopefully more cars are ending up with people who always wanted one and are wanting to keep, and use, it. There's nothing sadder than a car that sits in a garage unused.

6. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've seen serious runs in price in the 80's, and 90's but in the last few years the prices for Classic Ferraris have not appreciated as the housing market.

I would not be surprised if we are poised for a run up in REAL prices ...

7. dry4re

dry4re Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2005
    AZ
    I paid more than $175k for a great one - 5,400 miles, known provenance, a year ago!
    dry4re

8. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'm still waiting for 308s & Countaches to spike LOL

9. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I've heard of some quiet deals in CA over $200k in the last 12 months.

As for 308's, we're probably a decade away from that happening. Its my generation (early 30's) that want them. Wait until my peers are 40+ and the prices will rise...

10. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Its no the same....the Daytona was a performance icon, the fastest car in the world. The 308 was an entry level Ferrari and they probably outnumber Daytonas 10 to 1. We can enjoy the 308 for what it is and it is agreat car in its own right but never a Daytona.

11. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Don't be so quick. Remember, when it comes to putting a value on these things, its what the market wants, not necessarily what the experts think...

12. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Proper word utilized GUESS. Your numbers are a thing of the past, for quite some while. I have been party to 5 sales without getting into specifics, all exceeding your range, with one customer/friend paying $275,000 for a 3000 mile Blue Daytona that came from F. Sicard in CT. I saw it, I coached him, went to his home and shown at the Ferrari National 05. The new owner passed on a 5900 mile car considerably cheaper that was colorado marone still well north of $225,000, now also sold. I was directly involved in that sale.

A yellow ( repainted car) with 4000 miles sold for 225,000 + commission in DECEMBER '04.

These are special examples, for special customers, with special requirements.
    These are not run of the mill daytonas.

No hear say data here.
    That's the whole truth, nothing but the truth , so help me God.

13. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    You get what you pay for when you buy a vintage Ferrari.Who has worked on it, and or restored it is everyrthing. A real untouched car, or a "properly" restored car is worth top dollar. I am sure you can have a nice looking daytona sitting in your garage for around 150. This car most likeley needs another 85k to make it right, excluding the paint.

14. mrknowitallf40

mrknowitallf40 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2005
    Tom, what do you figure the daytona on wreckedexotics.com is worth? Would it be worthy of a restoration or is it simply a parts car at this point. Enquiring minds want to know.

15. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Yup. Look at the prices of 60's muscle cars in the last 1-2 years. Over $100K for some. That's pure nostalgia money talking. Give it 10 years and Magnum PI babies become prime income earners.

16. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Tom,

YOU posted on here only a few months ago that YOU had also been involved in the purchase of Daytonas in "nice, good" condition for around $125K.

"also sold two other good Daytona coupes for 125,000 each.

Did not mention that.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51171&page=4&pp=20&highlight=Daytona+prices

You are a used Ferrari wheeler/dealer and by all accounts a very good one. Daytona values? If Tom is buying then they are fully priced at $130K.... If Tom is selling then perhaps $200K will get you a decent car....

My Daytona has about 118K kilometers on it. Despite the fact that it has been restored/maintained to perfection the relatively high mileage surely makes it worth barely $100K if I am selling.... right Tom? ;)

Terry

17. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    A few months ago that was an accurate statement.
    A FEW MONTHS AGO IS NOT TODAY!!!!
    Daytona market has changed dramatically over the past 8 weeks.
    The public is now just finding out.

I bought an April 1971 Daytona coupe yesterday, and dragged it home on the trailer, in the drive. Car is being shown today and was shown on the way home (Family Classics has a customer). Doubt it will last, never will be advertised. Buy price and sell prices are private information. This information will not be disclosed.

My data is real, not hear say.

Additionally, the prototype is also home 12301, not for sale.
    Part of a crazy summer, Daytonas will cool off. They are not everyone's cup of tea, and there is an ample supply of them
    Many have seen this with other Ferrari road car models before, first in the late 80's and now, in the past couple of years.

18. RAMMER

RAMMER Formula 3

Feb 20, 2004
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Rammer
    Tom, are you suggesting that this is some kind of a short term surge and prizes should stabalize in the near future? If you dont mind me asking, what do you feel is the right prize for a Daytona based on the car in terms of history, availability, etc.

19. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    What on earth are people doing with 30+ year old cars that only have 3-5k miles on them? I'm not far off that in 2 months!

Moreover, how healthy are those same cars going to be should the new owners want to do something other than their previous owners did with them (i.e. nothing, just sit and watch it gather dust/dwell under a cover)?

Having looked at a number of cars here in the UK, the difference between the best cars and the rest was marked, but the best were still not at the top figures mentioned above. And this was only a couple of months ago.

That said, an unfinished restoration (and that's being very, very kind from what I saw in photos) fetched 90kUSD at auction recently

If things have changed in the last few months (even accounting for the smaller RHD market), it'll be the first time that's ever happened to me! Usual rule of thumb is that if I get into something, get out fast :)

20. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy

Sold!

21. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Terry,
    Optimistic aren't we! I will need to check on the DOT first, to see if your European Daytona was legally imported, sounds a bit above a parts car to me. $65,000 ish.

I recommend donating it to a local charity or high school automotive program to reap the maximum tax benenfit.

:) keep those cards and Letters coming!!!!!

22. scylla6

scylla6 Rookie

Aug 9, 2005
    ct
    So Tom, where are we at for the average well maintained Daytona? Your advice is always well taken.
    Tom

23. shaughnessy

shaughnessy Formula 3

Apr 1, 2004
    Wolfeboro NH
    Full Name:
    Thomas E Shaughnessy
    Off to Monterey will respond at a later date. Thank you

24. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Tom, I think that this advice might be a bit rash. After all, Terry is likely to be sued after the school or charity finds out that this 30-year POS excuse for a car is emitting toxic fumes and wiping out on average at least one endangered species every day.

A better plan would be for Terry to push the car to the street on a moonless night and let the Toasted Pony Reaper give the car a decent burial. In fact, converting the car to a 250 GTE is probably the best available option don't you think?

The Midnight Salvager

25. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002

Well, at least you didnt make fun of my velocity stack screens again.....

Terry