Daytona prices moving? | FerrariChat

Daytona prices moving?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by richardson michael, Feb 25, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    UK journalist (and ex Top Gear presenter) has a piece in Classic Car this month re the rise and rise of the Daytona. Quentin Willson reckons that Daytona prices are going north at great speed. There are only 150 ish RHD examples,and he reckons demand is going to push prices up. He also has a new classic car prog on UK TV. Last week,his co presenter,ex model,Jodie Kidd,road tested a beautiful 250 California. They are obviously big F-Fans!

2. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    To follow the 275 trend I guess...

3. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Daytonas been flat in the last 6-9 months...

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    One in the classified here asking 1.2m.

5. DaytonaKP

DaytonaKP Karting

Sep 6, 2007
    West Sussex
    Full Name:
    KP
    Asking prices are certainly on the (very aggressive) up. But is anyone prepared to pay?

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Perhaps it's just me, but the characters and their respective media outlets (non of which I'm really familiar with) in OPs comment seem more like marketing tools than anything else.
    OTOH, isn't that what most of the popular media is for nowadays anyway ?

7. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    People talk about prices like they are liquid quoted instruments. The reality is very different, even ignoring quality differences between cars, if you want to sell at any given point in time the only sure way is an auction and then the difference between what you pay as a buyer and a seller is approx 20% and with dealer markups and commissions I dont think the picture there is very different. If you buy now and sell next year (assuming no price movement) I honestly believe this is what you should expect to loose.

8. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Autosports has 3 very nice Daytonas that have been marketed for about 5 months. They are NOT selling for the $800-$850K net the dealer is looking for. At auctions in the last 18 months decent drivers seem to be bringing $555-$725K. Some cars have sold in the 800's and even 900's but for the most part the average price has been about $675K. Not moving as much as some people perceive.

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    They just keep raising the prices, that Nero/Red Daytona was offered last year at $600k to me.

10. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I know the car. Mark's old car. That interior is really some thing! Bright red swede...

11. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    I believe the problem is the quantities of the cars for sale. There were over 1400 x 365 GTB/4s produced. This is a fairly large number of cars. There are too many for sale at any one given time. I've seen on multiple threads in Fchat that the Daytona is not universally loved and it doesnt drive as well as other Fcars of that era. Could this be the reason why the prices are flat?

12. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I think there are quite a few always available and it's design is not for every one's taste although I like it very much. It's also interesting on how the 330 GTC and the Daytonas are now worth the same where as not long ago the Daytona was worth more. But it's engine with it's 4 cams and rows of Webers will be hard to beat. A friend of mine with a 4 cam, Lusso, 330 GT, and a BBi loves his Daytona the best. I think it's the power and sound that get's him.

Geno

13. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    They are not lookers that is for sure

14. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    All the threads on Daytona values don't really talk about the fact there are three distinct sub types of Daytona Berlinetta

1. Plexiglass cars
    2. US spec pop up headlamp cars (twin distributors, smog gear different bumper positioning on later cars etc)
    3. Euro and ROW spec pop up headlamp cars sometimes known as Tipo A Daytonas

Assuming similar condition and history are there any differences in value between the sub types. I've always assumed that a Plexiglass would go for a premium over a pop up car due to relative rarity and that fact it is the original design.

Of the Pop Up cars with the passage of time there has been a lot of cross pollination with US cars coming to Europe and vice versa. I'm not sure if there is a value difference between an US and Euro car, although as someone living on the right side of the Pond I would always prefer a Euro spec car.

15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I see you just sold yours kev.
    I guess you were very pleased with the price, and it loooked to sell very quicky ?

16. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Matthew,I appreciate your description of the various types, but,as in other examples of classic Ferrari sale prices,I do believe that the RHD cars are the most valuable,simply because,when new,the demand was from other countries,and not from the UK. So,we have only 158 cars from the production run of ...1800 ish? I believe the market is strong in UK,however,most of the Daytonas on offer are LHD.

17. DaytonaKP

DaytonaKP Karting

Sep 6, 2007
    West Sussex
    Full Name:
    KP
    Hi Grant,
    Yes, I am minus one Daytona!!
    After very nearly ten years I think I was ready to let it go. I had done just about everything you could do in a classic Ferrari driving wise and I had got it in tip top condition, now I am happy for the next owner to take it on and love it.

When it went up for sale I thought we were advertising it at "Spring 2015" prices but it went in six weeks and the next advertised prices were APPRECIABLY inflated. But no regrets my side!

18. bighitter2

bighitter2 Formula Junior

May 7, 2005
    virginia usa
    Full Name:
    chuck coli
    Grant has anyone been knocking on your door? You must be getting offers on your Beautiful Car!Chuck

19. DAYTONASME

DAYTONASME Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester UK
    Full Name:
    DAYTONASME
    #19 DAYTONASME, Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    If Retromobile four weeks ago, was any barometer of popularity...I'd say this could be the year of the Daytona...

I counted twelve variants at Port de Versailles...of which, ten were for sale

We'll get an even better idea after Bonhams and RM, offer examples later this week.

E

20. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I would think that "More for sale" would signal a price plateau, and "None for sale" would signal future price increases.

21. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    I've been circling the black/red Daytona at Autosport for a while now. Originally red/tan it makes it a safe bet for someone who'd care down the road, while I am partial to the black/red personally, and I felt the interior could be corrected. I remember making a couple of offers on the car when it was on the Truck Nation website some years back. I did offer my '84 BBi and '94 Euro ABS 512TR for it, but no concerted effort by Autosport to do a deal.

Their pricing is generally aggressive as well, which makes no sense since Daytona prices have been stagnant. I believe in the Daytona as iconic Ferrari and with prices moving north at some future point, but not right now- especially since F car prices have finally seemed to level off as of late.

Since the economic times of 1990, F car prices have not kept pace with the cost of money- The last few years that has finally rebounded. So I don't believe in a bubble burst on all the models, especially not the Daytona, but I don't believe the asking prices on a lot of the cars out there are realistic either. The days of asking tomorrow's prices are over, at least for the moment.

As I'm not a regular on this particular forum of FChat, any more commentary on available Daytonas, their future, or the black car at Autosport is quite welcomed- Thanks in advance...

22. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Al Ieardi down in Marco Island Fl. has a nice one he's restoring. He posts under Strictlyferrari here.

23. MoeD

MoeD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2007
    USA
    Full Name:
    Moe D
    Thank you I'll contact him...

24. FFmaybe

FFmaybe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2014
    Are you selling your cars at Autosport? A 512TR and 512bbi just listed on their site