DAYTONA 500 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

DAYTONA 500

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by PhilNotHill, Feb 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC

?!? WTF?!?

Sounds to me like he is not blaming anybody, least of all his crew chief. His car wasn't handling properly. He had mechanical problems. That's it. Guess what, that happens in NASCAR and it happens in every other form of motorsport. I don't see him pointing the finger at anyone.

When his car was set up, he qualified in the top 4...in his rookie Daytona 500. He doesn't have to apologize for anything. He did a great job and he had car problems. It happens.

If you want, I can post a thousand quotes just like this from F1, blaming the car for poor handling is a cliche in all forms of motorsports. Kimi made this same speech virtually every weekend for the last two years.

2. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I like JPM about as much as I like bird flu. But in this case, I have to agree. It doesn't look like he was blaming anyone in this statement. Just recounting the facts of what happened in the race without pointing fingers at anyone.

3. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1 although I like JPM, I thought it was good having a character like him in F1 that was a bit fiery.

4. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the man speaks the truth!

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    During the 2003 French Grand Prix, after a misunderstanding with the pit crew, there was a vocal exchange of expletives between the Colombian and his team. This was followed by a formal letter of reprimand from the BMW Williams F1 team.[citation needed] McLaren Mercedes announced that they would take on his racing services from 2005 at and end of season announcement, although it was believed that Montoya had already decided to leave immediately after the French GP.

Wikipedia

6. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The opening race in Australia was marred by an incident when during a pre-race press conference and corporate day Juan Pablo Montoya stormed out and neglected his media and sponsor commitments after taking offence to some irreverent questions by Australian comedians Ash & Luttsy.

7. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    2005 - McLaren
    After driving for Williams for four full seasons, Montoya found the McLaren Mercedes car unpredictable, often claiming it felt like the steering wheel was not "attached" to the rest of the car.

Having been criticised in previous years for his lack of fitness, Montoya began a training program under the direction of McLaren personnel but all the effort was lost when, just after the Malaysian Grand Prix, he injured his shoulder while in Spain. The official reason given to media was that he had injured himself whilst playing tennis. However, rumors stated that a motorcycle accident was the real cause.

Wikipedia

8. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Throughout the 2005 season Räikkönen was clearly the team's unofficial number one. On many occasions, mistakes by Montoya helped the Renault team and strengthened Alonso's chances of championship over Räikkönen.

WIKIPEDIA

9. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The US Grand Prix also brought further disappointment to Montoya's season. An 8-car crash on the first corner saw him retire from the race, yet again taking no points. This crash also involved team-mate Räikkönen, and as one of the main instigators of the crash, this cast further doubt upon Montoya's future in Formula 1.

Montoya's Formula 1 career effectively came to an end on 9 July when he announced in a public press conference from the US that he had signed a contract to run in the NASCAR series from 2007. On 11 July 2006, McLaren-Mercedes announced that Montoya would stop racing for the team with immediate effect, to enable him to prepare for his future career and take time out with his family. This ultimately confirmed Montoya's exit from F1. However, in the press conference on July 14 at the French Grand Prix, Ron Dennis stated that Montoya was still under contract with McLaren-Mercedes and he would remain in contract with the team until the expiration of the deal. Following further speculation that he could start racing in the NASCAR series as early as 2006, Dennis publicly offered Montoya an early exit from his contract with McLaren-Mercedes, provided that he resigned from receiving any payout to terminate his contract.

WIKIPEDIA

10. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    On January 16, 2007, Michael Schumacher questioned why Montoya would go to NASCAR. Montoya retorted the next day that no one in Formula One had any idea just how difficult stock car racing was, and that he didn't care what Schumacher thought anyway because "Schumacher in America is nobody."

WIKIPEDIA

Anybody who doesn't think JPM is a spoiled whiner after reading the several Wikipedia posts above is entitled to their own opinion. He is not, however, entitled to his own facts. (DP Moynihan)

11. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    With all do respect, please do not confuse " facts "and WIKIPEDIA clips.

12. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Great post ! ! (Have you guys noticed all the new folks on FChat and the dribble they post?, not to mention the influx of teeny-boppers.)

"With all do respect, please do not confuse " facts "and WIKIPEDIA clips." great comeback, Chris!

Carol

13. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    +1

14. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    NEW YORK, Jan. 29 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- SIRIUS Satellite Radio , the Official Satellite Radio Partner of NASCAR, announced today that Juan Pablo Montoya, the former Formula One star who will drive the No. 42 Texaco/Havoline Dodge in the NASCAR NEXTEL Cup and NASCAR Busch Series in 2007 for Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates, will participate weekly in an exclusive interview spot heard only on SIRIUS NASCAR Radio, the new 24/7 year-round radio channel dedicated to NASCAR.

Sadly, I have XM Radio. They are merging with Sirius but if it's approved it will take about a year.

Please let us know what he says.

15. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Juan Pablo über seinen letzten Stint, als er mit Dalziel und Max Angelelli um die Spitze kämpfte:

"Wir haben 18-20 Stunden in Führung gelegen zu diesem Zeitpunkt, als sie begannen ziemlich hart zu fahren und mein Leben damit ziemlich schwer machten.
    Wir mussten ganz schön zulegen. Ich wollte vorne bleiben, aber gleichzeitig musst Du darauf achten das am Ende nicht Du der Kerl bist der sich dreht und das Rennen verliert."

16. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    11 Questions: Ganassi
    By Mark Aumann, NASCAR.COM
    February 20, 2007
    10:18 AM EST

type size: + -1. What do you feel is your biggest strength?

Chip Ganassi: My biggest strength is that I'm here every day. I'm in this business every day.

2. What's the best advice you ever received and who was it from?

Ganassi: Roger Penske. I was getting into racing. I didn't know whether to buy a used car or a new car. Roger Penske said, "You know, Chip, whether you buy a used car or a new car, the hotel room costs the same."

3. What was your first car?

Ganassi: A Ford Econoline van.

4. Which athlete outside of racing do you most admire?

Ganassi: Tiger Woods.

5. What was your favorite 45 record growing up as a kid?

Ganassi: Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolf.

6. Who has made the most impact on your life?

Ganassi: My father.

7. Who would you trade places with, and why?

Ganassi: Nobody.

8. If you needed to win one race, who would you put behind the wheel?

Ganassi: That puts me on the spot. Any one of my drivers.

9. What was your first job?

Ganassi: I was flipping hamburgers at my uncle's Dairy Queen in Pittsburgh.

10. What's the one thing that you do that drives your wife crazy?

Ganassi: You don't want to know, because I'm divorced. I've got a lot of things that make her crazy.

11. What's your opinion of Juan Pablo Montoya?

Well, I'll tell you the truth, I've never met a bigger w#$@&*

Thanks for clearing that up, Mr. Ganassi. We really appreciate your frankness.

17. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    AMEN! Geez I get tired of 'em, but Rob seems to love having so many "users". How many more "What do you do to afford a Ferrari?" threads do we need?

18. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  19. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
  20. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm not big on banning.
    PhilNotHill has good points supported by Wikipedia ( a source, good or bad beats opinions ).
    He starts and contributes to pertinent topics.
    I thought the Gannassi Question 11 was clever, but needed Tillmans assist to get it.
    I dont always agree with his opinions but that makes the "soup" more interesting.

My point about JPM is that many here think that F1 drivers somehow are surperior to all others blessed with more ability, and Nascar drivers are buffoons or inept since "they dont know how to turn right".
    I think JPMs Daytona ( and upcoming, mark my words ) results speak for themselves.
    This is not a diss on JPM but praise for the level of driver quality in NASCAR.

21. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Not a big fan of banning either. I just don't think Phil here is serious about this section. Basically he's Imperial83 with a JPM hardon

22. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You just beat me to it. Mine was Impy in a new suit.

23. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    1. Aristotle demonstrated centuries ago that trying to refute a logical argument by attemting to discredit the source is fallacious. The fact my be true whether a fool or a scholar says it. Ergo, you have to disprove the facts, not the source.

2. Grammatically it should be with all "due" respect.

3. I have decided to give up mentioning JPM for Lent. Easter is April 8th. After that it's Katie Bar the Door. No more pointers like JPM's weekly Sirius program. Everybody ignored that. Ha!

4. I haven't been funny since I did my own lobotomy. :)

Ciao
    Phil Not Hill aka Dr. Phil
    Life is too short not to own a Ferrari and be an F1 fan.
    Now, go take on the day.

24. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    Wikipedia is not a "source". Articles, books, and such are sources.

Why do people always respond by jumping on other people's language skills when they are called on something?

25. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    It gets old, the JPM hardon and NASCAR jokes. It's like he has nothing of value to offer.