Danny Ongais | FerrariChat

Danny Ongais

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by rdefabri, Jun 5, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I know we have a few F-Chatters that worked in / around Champ Car in the past. I have always been intrigued by Danny Ongais - I remember him first as a drag racer, so I was always rooting for him by the time his USAC / Champ Car career took off (his best season was '78, but I don't remember much until around early 80's when he started competing at Indy).

He's obviously known to be reclusive and quiet, but someone must know something about this guy. What's his story? It's been said he never married, but apparently he had a son (Brian) who was a Formula Ford champ and competed in sports cars in the late 80's.

The guy was a man's man - a true racer in every sense. Probably a bit too mellow because he never seemed scared. I hated the CART / IRL split, but a big memory I have was Danny running the Menards car that was supposed to be driven by Scott Brayton (who was tragically killed). Ongais finished top 10, and being an old school racer, I was thrilled!

2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    phew. saw the thread title and thought he passed away.

:eek:

3. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Ahhh yes...The "Flyin Hawaian". How a good driver and a good mechanic ( Phil Casey) could do marvelous things with a race car. The "Batmobile" and the Parnelli chassis in his hands was fun to watch. Racing at its best!

4. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    No - thank goodness!

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Saw Danny Ongais race sports cars with Ted Field numerous times at Sebring and Daytona
    most memorably winning in the 24 Hours of Daytona with Field and Hurley Haywood as their
    935 died in the final moments and crawled across the finish line.

He is a big dude, a barrel chested Hawaiian surfer, could drive anything flat out when Field was
    entering his Interscope cars in IMSA GTX and Indy Cars. Great times, beautiful cars.

BHW

375+, Sharknose and GuyIncognito like this.
  6. '79. 'Saw him too that year, mostly from behind going away :) (GTU 911 rent-a seat). We broke. :(

'Had a semi-healthy cracked "interscope" windshield from his pole winning 934 at the '77 Finale. 'T'was leaning on the fence on pit road after qually so I asked what they were gonna do with it. "Get it outa here...it's yours". It was in my car in minutes and became a coffee table in my apartment atop a wide GoodYear. :) (OO is the 934 from whence it came. For the unenlightened, O is a 935)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    awesome cars. nice coffee table, too :)

8. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #8 rdefabri, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    Wow, I didn't realize he was big, he doesn't look it. Any insight as to why he's so reclusive?

I think he's speaking in this clip - very interesting, I think it's Mickey Thompson (RIP) that makes the prediction of 5-second / 300 mph Funny Cars - he was right!

9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yes, I remember Ongais being a stout dude.

Whatever he got in, he was fast too.

BHW

10. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    The image of his leg dragging on the indy track will always haunt me.

375+ likes this.
  11. Thought of that earlier but wasn't going to mention it.
    How about the one that could have been his and Al acknowledging it in the Winner's Circle '87?
    Not the best of luck at Indy for Danny. :(

12. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Remember another race driver referring to Ongais as if he had had a lobotomy to remove all fear.

The only on I remember as having successfully gone from straight line to road racing.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  13. I sure as heck can't think of any at all let alone even 1/10 successful. "On The Gas" was damn good, for sure.

14. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Art Malone was successful at both drag racing and Indycar racing; he often worked with Don Garlits at the dragstrip. But I don't recall Malone doing any road racing. And I don't recall which one he did first.

In the other direction, Doug Kalitta went from a successful career on dirt ovals to the dragstrip, running for his uncle Connie Kalitta.

rdefabri likes this.
  15. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well, a few in reverse - John Andretti did make a NHRA semifinal in a Top Fuel dragster (1993 FRAM Southern Nationals) and Doug Kalitta was USAC Sprint Car Champion and a multiple time NHRA Top Fuel points runner-up.

But I agree - Ongais was really an old school racer in the vein of Mario, AJ Foyt, etc. - would race anytime, anywhere. The story about lobotomy I've heard too - that he scared others because he had no fear (or didn't show it). Only other racer I heard something similar was Gilles Villeneuve.

16. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'll say one thing about Ongais - he was lucky to escape serious injury, some of his crashes were brutal. He flipped side over side at Michigan and had a few hits at Indy. I think his 1981 crash happened in the same turn where Gordon Smiley crashed a year later.

17. I recollect the name but not the success. 'Was just a tad before I was digesting all I could find on racing. When, where did he win or whatever?

18. Is there another Danny Ongais? He wasn't seriously injured? I think a few here might disagree. I know I do. I guess it's what one's definition of serious is. :confused:

"The front end of the car was ripped away, leaving an unconscious Ongais completely exposed in the cockpit as the car continued around turn 3, trailing a long tongue of orange fire from burning oil. Safety crews quickly surrounded the car and used the Jaws of Life to rescue Ongais, who suffered a concussion and badly broken feet and legs."

19. rdefabri

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Well he survived, maybe that's a better way of saying. But he didn't just survive, he kept coming back...which shows he had some serious cojones.

lorenzobandini likes this.
  20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Malone was a drag racer first, and won the AHRA Top Fuel championship in 1963. He raced 10 times in Indycars from 1962-65, including 2 Indy 500s, where he placed 11th in 1964. Not a brilliant career, but at least he was respectable.

21. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    A different sort of crossover driver was Bill Cantrell, who raced in the Indy 500 from 1948 to 1950. But his other sport was unlimited hydroplane racing, where he raced from the late '30s to 1964. During 1949, one of the years he started at Indy, he also won the national hydroplane championship and the prestigious Gold Cup race. Imagine racing Indycars and hydroplanes in the same year!

375+ likes this.
  22. spicedriver

spicedriver F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2011
    A lot of really smart "egghead" types thought that was not possible...

Ongais started out racing motorcycles, and was the Hawaii champion in 1960. An expert road racer, he also competed in a number of Formula 1 events.

Some other notable racers from Hawaii are Roland Leong , and John DeSoto.

23. And as we veer off topic, how about another island dweller, poor up and comer Fillipino Jovy Marcello?
    Formula Atlantic champ before stepping up to CART. Sadly, another that Indy took from us. :(

rdefabri likes this.
  24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Very cool stuff.

Jim Busby was another 70s era sports car driver who came out of the California
    drag racing scene.

BHW

25. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    It just occurred to me that they used to call Ongais "Danny On-the-Gas".

As racing nicknames go, that had to have been one of the best ones.

BHW

rdefabri likes this.